Browning B725 Pro Trap vs Sport

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer7

I've noticed a few mentions of folk who have bought the Pro Trap (flat rib) 725 for sporting clays. What are the differences between the Pro Sport and Pro Trap? I assume the the Trap will have a parallel comb. Any other differences?

I don't live anywhere near a decent gunshop so will have to travel quite a distance but one of them has both models in stock. I'll be trading in a mint 692 30" sporter. 

The gun will be used for sporting and a bit of DTL. Before the 692 I had an Ultra XT which I had teagued and shot well at sporting with. I don't have the luxury of trying these guns out so will just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best! Other than the obvious Trap, Sport monikers anyone have any advice to help me decide?

I've never shot a 32" gun but am thinking of going that way too, I find the 692 a bit "fast" and wondered if that would help? I don't know if build comes into it but I'm 6'2" but slim.

Also anyone care to have a stab at what I should be paying to swap???!!! My 692 is as new and fired less than a 1000 cartridges. (It also has a STUNNING bit of wood!!)

Any advice gratefully received!

ProTrap is basically Ultra XT with pronounced pistol grip and a bit steadier feel (without installed weights is 200gr heavier than Ultra) and balances spot on pin (with 30" barrel that is). If you liked Ultra you will be just fine - been exactly there and done it - with 30"...not sure about 32" tho, but looking back I wouldn't change a thing. Pro trap has a little less drop at comb but with adjustable comb set to lowest fits me perfect.

I've noticed a few mentions of folk who have bought the Pro Trap (flat rib) 725 for sporting clays. What are the differences between the Pro Sport and Pro Trap? I assume the the Trap will have a parallel comb. Any other differences?

I don't live anywhere near a decent gunshop so will have to travel quite a distance but one of them has both models in stock. I'll be trading in a mint 692 30" sporter. 

The gun will be used for sporting and a bit of DTL. Before the 692 I had an Ultra XT which I had teagued and shot well at sporting with. I don't have the luxury of trying these guns out so will just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best! Other than the obvious Trap, Sport monikers anyone have any advice to help me decide?

I've never shot a 32" gun but am thinking of going that way too, I find the 692 a bit "fast" and wondered if that would help? I don't know if build comes into it but I'm 6'2" but slim.

Also anyone care to have a stab at what I should be paying to swap???!!! My 692 is as new and fired less than a 1000 cartridges. (It also has a STUNNING bit of wood!!)

Any advice gratefully received!
fancy a Caesar guerini Invictus 1 ascent r/h 32"  adj comb   2015 gun   vgc   ,  don't you like the 692 ?

ProTrap is basically Ultra XT with pronounced pistol grip and a bit steadier feel (without installed weights is 200gr heavier than Ultra) and balances spot on pin (with 30" barrel that is). If you liked Ultra you will be just fine - been exactly there and done it - with 30"...not sure about 32" tho, but looking back I wouldn't change a thing. Pro trap has a little less drop at comb but with adjustable comb set to lowest fits me perfect.
Thanks for that info.

fancy a Caesar guerini Invictus 1 ascent r/h 32"  adj comb   2015 gun   vgc   ,  don't you like the 692 ?
Thanks for the offer, I had considered an Invictus but would need to sell my own first. I just fancy a change! 

Thanks for that info.

Thanks for the offer, I had considered an Invictus but would need to sell my own first. I just fancy a change! 
Caesar guerini build fantastic guns in the same price range as betetta and browning, I made the switch to a CG a couple of years ago and it was the best decision I have made, hope that helps 

I had a Pro sport and found it to be a very heavy gun with none of the extra weights fitted. If I were to go back to a Browning it would just be the 725 adjustable. The Pro sport is a good gun, but is it worth the extra money for the balance weights? Probably not. Also had an Invictus ascent, another good gun.

I had a Pro sport and found it to be a very heavy gun with none of the extra weights fitted. If I were to go back to a Browning it would just be the 725 adjustable. The Pro sport is a good gun, but is it worth the extra money for the balance weights? Probably not. Also had an Invictus ascent, another good gun.
In fairness my B725 sporter 2 adjustable is also rather heavy (generally at the front). Works well for me however. 

I tried a 32" ProSport at an event where Browning had a display. It felt bulky, heavy and cumbersome and I didn't like anything about it, but then I'm not in any way a Browning fan. However, a couple of months earlier I'd tried a mates Ultra XS Titanium, also in 32 and really liked it. In fact it's the only Browning I've ever tried that I thought I could live with.

TBH I don't see may ProSport or ProTrap Brownings out and about. Lots more 725s and XS Ultras.

Well I arrived home with a 32" Browning Pro Trap yesterday evening having traded my 30" 692. I was initially wondering if I'd done the right thing....... 

I'm very pleased to say after being down at my local ground earlier shooting 100 sporting I'm absolutely delighted with the Browning, it just feels so much easier, smoother and less work on the more testing targets. It is also very soft to shoot - it tips the scales at a hefty 9lb 1oz without any weights attached and balances a 1/4" in front of the hinge pin. (Weighed a couple in the shop -  another 32" was over half a pound lighter, didn't feel as nice and wood was much plainer)

I love the grip shape/size/palm swell, much more comfortable than the 692 and I no longer have the front of the adjustable comb digging into the fleshy part of my right thumb either!

Anyway thanks for the input folks, I'm delighted! 😊

Well I arrived home with a 32" Browning Pro Trap yesterday evening having traded my 30" 692. I was initially wondering if I'd done the right thing....... 

I'm very pleased to say after being down at my local ground earlier shooting 100 sporting I'm absolutely delighted with the Browning, it just feels so much easier, smoother and less work on the more testing targets. It is also very soft to shoot - it tips the scales at a hefty 9lb 1oz without any weights attached and balances a 1/4" in front of the hinge pin. (Weighed a couple in the shop -  another 32" was over half a pound lighter, didn't feel as nice and wood was much plainer)

I love the grip shape/size/palm swell, much more comfortable than the 692 and I no longer have the front of the adjustable comb digging into the fleshy part of my right thumb either!

That the problem I have with Beretta stocks. It's a shame the standard stock sizes seem only suited to people with little hands. They should offer different options. Just one different option with a more open pistol grip and the nose a bit further back would make all the difference. 

That the problem I have with Beretta stocks. It's a shame the standard stock sizes seem only suited to people with little hands. They should offer different options. Just one different option with a more open pistol grip and the nose a bit further back would make all the difference. 
Yes l found the same thing Beretta stocks feel like holding a broom handle to me, but the Browning 725 mk2 with adjustable comb just feels right as soon as l pick it up, guess its just "horses for courses and courses for horses" as the old saying goes! 

Interestingly I shot both a 692 and my B725 for about an hour over the weekend, and every single time I picked up the Beretta my hands didn't felt settled. 

For me the Browning palm swell and generally thicker feel is far more comfortable - and I don't believe I have particularly big hands! 

Weight wise too the 30" 692 factory (non adj) was so light and therefore moved quite erratically for me. The Browning (32" adj, with stock weights to balance on the hinge pin) feels much more considered and deliberate in terms of how it moves and points. 

Interestingly I shot both a 692 and my B725 for about an hour over the weekend, and every single time I picked up the Beretta my hands didn't felt settled. 

For me the Browning palm swell and generally thicker feel is far more comfortable - and I don't believe I have particularly big hands! 

Weight wise too the 30" 692 factory (non adj) was so light and therefore moved quite erratically for me. The Browning (32" adj, with stock weights to balance on the hinge pin) feels much more considered and deliberate in terms of how it moves and points. 
It is personal, but I found there was a series of stages for gun weight during my development. A light gun feels nice to a real beginner because it’s easy to hold and point. Then once you get going a much heavier one stops your erratic movements. Lately, I’m shooting the lightest FEELING gun I’ve ever used because these days I’m not throwing the gun around so can be trusted to use a more delicate set up, if that makes sense. 

A few of my AAA mates shoot Pro-traps to great effect at English Sporting, ABT, and Trap, and Skeet.  Who am I kidding....they can hit anything!  Anyway, point to note these lads are fairly thick set, and one in particular stands at 6ft 7".  His 2 Pro-Traps are particularly heavy with plain wood.  Too heavy for me.  Another of them has highly figured wood and his gun is a clear 1lb lighter and shoots much better (for me).  You can go along the rack and pick up several and they all feel different for sure.  But they pattern very well!

A few of my AAA mates shoot Pro-traps to great effect at English Sporting, ABT, and Trap, and Skeet.  Who am I kidding....they can hit anything!  Anyway, point to note these lads are fairly thick set, and one in particular stands at 6ft 7".  His 2 Pro-Traps are particularly heavy with plain wood.  Too heavy for me.  Another of them has highly figured wood and his gun is a clear 1lb lighter and shoots much better (for me).  You can go along the rack and pick up several and they all feel different for sure.  But they pattern very well!
That's interesting as I had a choice of 4 or 5, the one I picked was heaviest with the nicest piece of timber, the lightest one had a really plain piece of wood. 

I'm going to get round to patterning tomorrow to see how it looks. 

It is personal, but I found there was a series of stages for gun weight during my development. A light gun feels nice to a real beginner because it’s easy to hold and point. Then once you get going a much heavier one stops your erratic movements. Lately, I’m shooting the lightest FEELING gun I’ve ever used because these days I’m not throwing the gun around so can be trusted to use a more delicate set up, if that makes sense. 
thats interesting, my miroku is just about 8lb, balance just a tad forward of pin, really rock to shoot maintained lead yet I find it light enough to shoot fast close stuff,and defianately prefer the lower recoil that weight assists with.

my thoughts are what weight is your current lightest feeling gun?  must admit I was passed a C&g to try a couple of shots,seemed super light yet smooth to shoot,although on a simple going away bird I thought I nailed,shot clean over the top by a foot , but who knows if the onlooker saw that right, but was suprised to find it weighed a tad more than my miroku, balance and feel is a strange beasty eh.

thats interesting, my miroku is just about 8lb, balance just a tad forward of pin, really rock to shoot maintained lead yet I find it light enough to shoot fast close stuff,and defianately prefer the lower recoil that weight assists with.

my thoughts are what weight is your current lightest feeling gun?  must admit I was passed a C&g to try a couple of shots,seemed super light yet smooth to shoot,although on a simple going away bird I thought I nailed,shot clean over the top by a foot , but who knows if the onlooker saw that right, but was suprised to find it weighed a tad more than my miroku, balance and feel is a strange beasty eh.
That’s the interesting point. It’s all about where the weight is, not just the total. My Blaser is about 8.5lbs, but feels really light, whereas my Perazzi is only a shade heavier but feels far less easy to point. I was convinced it was all in the barrels, but upon examination the barrels actually weigh the same, but a forend on a Perazzi is 380g compared to 250g (approx) on the Blaser. The felt difference to me is big. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It is really true, buyer beware, often we feel make xyz will do us wonders because old so an so is doing well with that brand,when in reality after some experiance nothing can compare to hands on trying before buying, which is hardly ever done, the guy in the shop reckons suits you sir,and thats that he has told you what you want to hear.

but are there many places you can actually shoot a full round with a demo,or several without feeling obligated, difficult as obviously the seller needs to cover standing costs as a starter. and I do not feel you ever fully mount a gun exactly the way you would in the field at a target when in a shop with people milling about.

this is where when someone on clay ground chats I am always happy for them to try mine on a stand if interested as its been offered by others to me, certainly a more "natural" test of feel and balance.

Latest posts

Back