Gun fit while you wait

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick_c

Looking at getting my gun fit checked professionally.

Noticed Atkin Grant and Lang offering a gun fit while you wait in December, but they are fully booked.

Is there anywhere else offering a similar service?

Cheers All.

I’ve not heard of any other while you wait gunfitting service , as most of the  good guys who actually do this work tend to be  sole workers and have a  bit of lead time due to their reputation  .  Having said that I’ve had a gun fitted by Nigel Teague ( laser ) and got it back in ten days (  you take the barrels and forend home , Parcel Force do the return ) and one that took  three weeks at BK Webster ( who has a computer recorded laser system , with multi camera video for mount analysis  ) , The other name that gets glowing reports on this forum is Tim Greenwood . 

You are probably going to have to make a few calls and see if “ while you wait is an option “ with anyone . 

Looking at getting my gun fit checked professionally.

Noticed Atkin Grant and Lang offering a gun fit while you wait in December, but they are fully booked.

Is there anywhere else offering a similar service?

Cheers All.
Getting your gun fit checked is one task, from personal experience having any work done on the gun itself is not a “while you wait” task. 

Others may know of a suitable gunsmith in your area, where pray tell are you from? 

The Oxfordshire shooting school do a while you wait fitting. All part of the same outfit as AGL

I had a gun fit done by AGL and ended up with a gap between the top strap and the stock, you could see daylight through it! took it back, after 3 weeks of them having the gun i chased up progress and was told I would have to wait another 2 months as they were busy. Ended up paying another company to rectify the problem.

Lots of places that you can book for this - if you are SE then WLSS and Bisley are two - as others have said measurements with the ajustable try Gun/ watchubg you shoot in a 1-1.5 hr seassion  is one part - the other is the adjustment itself 

like anything if you disconnect t the jobs you create plenty of scope for A to blame B etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Far better off getting a proper custom gun fit really. 

IMG_20180830_143751061.jpg

Highly recommend Nigel Teague . It's QUALITY you want not speed ( while you wait ! ). 

can you not get sorted with a adj comb   that covers comb height  and cast   , trigger blade adj for length  of pull     , m/c  sorts out choke choice .   whats left ? 

John Jeffries     07711456524        

Last weekend he held a successful two day gun fitting clinic at Grimsthorpe Shooting Ground in Lincolnshire and hopes to return in February.

He's based in East Sussex but visits grounds around the country.

http://www.johnjeffries-customguns.com/

https://www.grimsthorpeshootingground.co.uk/blank-1

A couple of facebook comments;

Karl Dyke All I can say is it’s the best money I have ever spent regarding shooting. John set the comb height and if we had the screws he would have fixed the length as well. What a terrific idea on bringing this to Grimsthorpe.

Shaun Veasey Extremely pleased with my gun fit from John jeffries. Nearly got my measurements spot on from just looking at me. Really nice guy and had alot of time for you. Would highly recommend it to anyone.

can you not get sorted with a adj comb   that covers comb height  and cast   , trigger blade adj for length  of pull     , m/c  sorts out choke choice .   whats left ? 
 To be fair It’s not always  the solution   . If you need a fair bit of cast the resulting “ ledge “  and  thickness of the rest of the stock after you have shoved the comb over is still in the same place . It can be uncomfortable .Even though you might get your eye over the rib it is not as good as having the stock bent properly . I’ve had cast put on an adjustable comb K80 and then had the comb set for POI .  You also have to think that on certain guns fitting an adjustable stock is sacrilege , £200 bandsaw job on a nice second hand SO4   game gun anyone 😂

To be fair It’s not always  the solution   . If you need a fair bit of cast the resulting “ ledge “  and  thickness of the rest of the stock after you have shoved the comb over is still in the same place . It can be uncomfortable .Even though you might get your eye over the rib it is not as good as having the stock bent properly . I’ve had cast put on an adjustable comb K80 and then had the comb set for POI .  You also have to think that on certain guns fitting an adjustable stock is sacrilege , £200 bandsaw job on a nice second hand SO4   game gun anyone 😂
point taken  I believe there are people out there that need a bespoke gun fit  ,    but  our game is a numbers game   !  will a bespoke gunfit  elevate  scores ?    I  know people who have had well known craftsman  in the uk  and abroad  make them stocks  costing  quite a lot  ,    only to be disappointed  at their scores  !  whats the answer ? 

point taken  I believe there are people out there that need a bespoke gun fit  ,    but  our game is a numbers game   !  will a bespoke gunfit  elevate  scores ?    I  know people who have had well known craftsman  in the uk  and abroad  make them stocks  costing  quite a lot  ,    only to be disappointed  at their scores  !  whats the answer ? 
Having a bespoke gun fit will not automatically improve scores, you still need to point it in the right place. However, it is nice to have a gun that does fit and come up the same every time, that in itself may help with scores. Having a custom stock, as in the picture above may not be as expensive as you think, nor does it involve having to buy a new blank, the gun in the picture still has its original sporting stock, believe it or not. Admittedly its not a while you wait job.

My gunfit was done in the shop that sold me the gun duh!!!  To be perfectly honest, I looked at different second hand guns that fell within my very limited budget and then tried them based on how they felt, how they fell into the shoulder and how my eye lined up with the rib and settled on my current Miroku.  I fully understand the concept behind a good gun fit and how it ticks a box in the progress to hopeful success but a professional fitting session and likely resulting alterations would probably cost me more than the gun did  :)

Very true , if you’re rubbish , you’re  rubbish . There are  also some brilliant shots out there who can fit themselves around anything and to them  gun fit is not necessary .  It became more of an issue to me as I’ve got older and my eyesight has definitely changed . 

Back