Shooting Vest

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shipseys

Morning all -- was hoping that I could get some advice. I have had a long sabbatical from shooting and am just getting back into it. 
I have a new gun and also purchased a new shooting vest . This is the issue that I have . The gun seems to stick to the vest when I am mounting as it's so new. The vest has a suede pad and is very sticky.
Can anyone recommend a vest that has a leather pad that may give me a little more slip. This could also be the pad on the end on the gun and is creating the perfect storm!
I never had this issue before with my old Browning masters vest  ... but this has long since disappeared!
Any recommendations greatly recieved.
Scott 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish mine had a little more grip as sometimes the butt slips.

Maybe think a little more about your mount as up to cheek and then back to shoulder?

Alternatively maybe try rubbing a bit of Talc etc on the sticky area?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some pvc tape over the top where it catches also works and can easily be removed if you get another jacket

Might be of no use to you, but I bought this and to my novice eye it's fantastic. Very comfy, lots of actually useful pockets and well padded in the shoulder.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/clay-pigeon-500-gilet-brown-id_8385954.html
Looks almost OK (possibly perfect). My only potential issue is the padding on the shoulders, which will appeal to beginners because of recoil. Once you have been shooting a while, holding the gun well, getting the fit right and finding a cartridge you like, it will render recoil a non-issue. So, the ability to mount the gun into your shoulder pocket consistently and properly will be top of your list, which usually means having nothing in the way (such as padding or any insert). 

Can I suggest that you try mounting the gun off range wearing another sort of top (fleece ?) to determine if the gun still snags your clothing. If it does, rather than blame the vest, look at the make-up of the recoil pad or the stock length.  I have encountered some Beretta rubber pads that had more grip than a set of Michelins'  !

Can I suggest that you try mounting the gun off range wearing another sort of top (fleece ?) to determine if the gun still snags your clothing. If it does, rather than blame the vest, look at the make-up of the recoil pad or the stock length.  I have encountered some Beretta rubber pads that had more grip than a set of Michelins'  !
Good shout, the solid non micropore ones suck

Looks almost OK (possibly perfect). My only potential issue is the padding on the shoulders, which will appeal to beginners because of recoil. Once you have been shooting a while, holding the gun well, getting the fit right and finding a cartridge you like, it will render recoil a non-issue. So, the ability to mount the gun into your shoulder pocket consistently and properly will be top of your list, which usually means having nothing in the way (such as padding or any insert). 
Yeah, does deaden the recoil a bit, but in a good way It's no longer getting to about 80 shots and I start feeling discomfort. When it did that, I'd find myself moving the stock around fractionally at the end of a shoot to stop discomfort for the last bit but now I can feel it enough to be physically aware and make any positive change to where it's positioned.

And it's very light and breathes well thanks to the mesh so good for all year.... my team one was a bit roasting a few months ago.

All good advice thank you  .. have tried w/o the vest and its a lot better. I think that its just as its all new .. going to try and get out this w/e and use the tips above.
Also the old masters vest has turned up  .. this will help a lot 

All good advice thank you  .. have tried w/o the vest and its a lot better. I think that its just as its all new .. going to try and get out this w/e and use the tips above.
Also the old masters vest has turned up  .. this will help a lot 
In that case, look after it, there ain't a lot of us old Masters left  !      😎

Latest posts

Back