Rewards?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn’t really work like that as brands tend to look beyond score when it comes to determining sponsorship, particularly when it comes to the larger companies.

Whilst ability is obviously important so too is personality, appearance, respect amongst fellow competitors and social media presence.

That said, you’ll probably find most of the sponsorship deals, even to some of the sports big names, aren’t worth much anyway.

Hmmm, great topic and very difficult to pin down on "scores". 

Ultimately I think if you win enough major shoots then you're pretty much guaranteed to get some meaningful cartridge help and almost certainly a free gun, you only have to look at how quickly Perazzi snap up shooters who show promise but then they also have the financial wherewithal to absorb that unlike say a Zoli or a Salvinelli type of manufacturer who tend to expect the sponsored shooter to pay trade or half price ! 

Scores in themselves don't seem to be a reliable barometer because looking at the Top 20 for instance you can see fairly well known shooters who shoot the cheaper models within a brand and who don't appear to be particularly well supported by any major manufacturers. Then there are those (often young) shots who for varied reasons of showing some talent and being at the right place at the right time get fairly substantial support well before they have even managed a HG at a local shoot. 

FWIW I don't personally think anyone should sell themselves short by giving free advertising and constant mention and name drops for the sake of a pair of gloves etc, I think it was a Childerhouse interview I read in which he said he'd refused sponsorship because to him it had to come with "numbers" or he'd just carry on with his Browning, I take my hat off to him and fully agree. If you want to avail yourself of that kind of talent and exposure then you gotta pay. 

As Jan said. Sponsorship is more about profile than scores. The sponsored shooter ( golfer, sailor, snowboarder, footballer .... whatever ) has to be trusted to be a genuine unsupervised public face for a company.

Loosing a shoot won't get your sponsorship pulled but screw up publicly, even if it's not illegal and its bye-bye!

There is only the olympic disciplines that pay a wage based on results and those results are international results so the cpsa top 20 is pretty irrelevant in reality.The domestic stuff usually results in people getting bits of help like for example a discount on crap clothing if someone uses your promo code,or a few clays and there branded clober if you can shout about them on fb or if your realy lucky get your shells at trade rates.

As said above scores re cpsa top 20 aint that big a deal,if you look at some of our most popular characters with good backing they have one or more major titles under there belts and have a personality that attracts people to take a intrest in things they say,and contrary to the belief of a sponsored shooter being whiter than white is the ones with the biggest following usually sail pretty close to the wind at times.

You have to wonder what value a manufacturer or distributor would get from cash sponsorship . Firstly I  just shoot socially , not competition , so my views may be well out of kilter . I think the CPSA has around 25000 members , of those I don’t know how many are active ? The total number of shotgun certificates held is around 550,000 , so cash sponsoring a  U.K. competition shooter would reach around 5% of the total market for say guns , cartridges and accessories . The way I see it is , product placement coupled with social media probably deliver more. 

Sometimes getting sponsorship has nothing to do with how well you shoot.  I can think of one person who shot two registered competitions in their discipline in a year is sponsored by a clothing and food / drink supplier.

I agree with the posts above.

On a slight tangent, El Spavo and all newcomers to the sport are the big target audience for magazine adverts and social media, which is where these sponsored shooters are most visible. Newcomers will be the most susceptible to assuming a shooter is winning because of their equipment and newcomers are the biggest purchaser of new kit of course. I myself bought a Krieghoff early days and I admit I was dazzled by the reports and successes in the magazines. My message is, beware ad campaigns and even top shooter successes when choosing your kit. You will get a more even view asking about product on here IMO.

I know of one shooter who has been sponsored by major gun and cartridge manufacturers for years and he wins on a regular basis but he has virtually no social media presence apart from his personal account and thats people that know him,it certainly wouldn't be what a manufacturer would gain from as they are never mentioned.

He does wear a brand cap though  :biggrin:

Sometimes getting sponsorship has nothing to do with how well you shoot.  I can think of one person who shot two registered competitions in their discipline in a year is sponsored by a clothing and food / drink supplier.
It’s definitely not on basic shooting merit for sure. Certainly not below the very top level anyway. 

I was offered sponsorship a few years back when I was shooting a lot and quite active on a number of forums and Facebook.

It stroked my ego for about 2 seconds.

The deal was wear a sponsored skeet vest and thank the sponsor on Facebook and the forums regularly. In return I would get heavily discounted cartridges.

My view was:

1. I’m not good enough for anyone to bother where I get my cartridges from.

2. I’m a sarcastic git especially on social media and the last thing you want is me thanking you in my own unique way.

3. Where I get my cartridges from doesn’t make one iota of difference to my scores.

4. I’d feel a tool as I’m not good enough to warrant sponsorship.

5. The discount wasn’t worth the effort or the cringe factor of me openly thanking people as some would think I actually meant it.

Certainly in my case the scores weren’t the driving force behind them asking if I wanted to be sponsored. My guess was my Facebook and internet presence was quite active back then and it was early days for social media and they saw value in that.

When I was racing bikes I was actually sponsored to a fair degree but that was results based as social media didn’t exist back then.

So I guess both ways will get it you in sport.

I’d like to thank my thumb for making this post possible, without it’s continued support and help my iPhone typing would be nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was offered sponsorship a few years back when I was shooting a lot and quite active on a number of forums and Facebook.

It stroked my ego for about 2 seconds.

The deal was wear a sponsored skeet vest and thank the sponsor on Facebook and the forums regularly. In return I would get heavily discounted cartridges.

My view was:

1. I’m not good enough for anyone to bother where I get my cartridges from.

2. I’m a sarcastic git especially on social media and the last thing you want is me thanking you in my own unique way.

3. Where I get my cartridges from doesn’t make one iota of difference to my scores.

4. I’d feel a tool as I’m not good enough to warrant sponsorship.

5. The discount wasn’t worth the effort or the cringe factor of me openly thanking people as some would think I actually meant it.

Certainly in my case the scores weren’t the driving force behind them asking if I wanted to be sponsored. My guess was my Facebook and internet presence was quite active back then and it was early days for social media and they saw value in that.

When I was racing bikes I was actually sponsored to a fair degree but that was results based as social media didn’t exist back then.

So I guess both ways will get it you in sport.

I’d like to thank my thumb for making this post possible, without it’s continued support and help my iPhone typing would be nothing.

Shouldn't that be #thumb 😁😁😁

Shouldn't that be #thumb [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

The use of # is reserved for gold member sponsors who sign up for a minimum 24 months with my easy early bird payment plan, they then get a 12 # a month and a free Instagram picture every week.

My thumb is a cheapskate.

#littleFinger

Latest posts

Back