fixed choked sporter ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

I was wondering  how many shotgun manufacturers   offer a sporting shotgun with fixed chokes .       apologies if its a repeat question !   

C and G do the invictus M spec in fixed, perazzi, krieghoff parcours, mk60. Not many these days.

A few years ago beretta did the silver pig, miroku did the mk60 and mk38 in fixed along with a load of others.

I think there is a market for a 1/2 and 1/2, 32" sporter on the market, Browning came close with the royal, but then made it a game gun.

Krieghoff and Perazzi do along with CG. Beretta used to do a fixed choke DT10 but no idea about the DT11. Most trap guns are available fixed, but it's hard to come up with any Blaser, Browning or Miroku sporters that aren't screw choked - given that the MK60 isn't really a sporter -  although Ian Coley used to sell a special in-house MK38 sporter fixed at 3/4 & Full.

I'm sure the boutique type makers like B. Rizzini will produce one to customer requirements and CG probably would too if you can wait several months.

Why would anyone want one?
For one thing, most factory multichokes have a lot in common with pipe fittings 🤣 . Often with a slight swage at the muzzle . Look at a Miroku MK38 “ Teague “ Factory Sporter and look at a fixed choke Miroku M38 Trap  and you have two very different sets of barrels , hence the popularity of getting Teague Precision to install their thin wall choke system into fixed choke guns . 

Why not?

Ever see GD twiddling with chokes? 
I see several AAA shooters who do.  In fact the shooter who came 3rd in the world championships this year takes them out altogether on close rabbits and driven .And I cannot believe anyone is naive enough to think buying a fixed choke gun will turn them into digweed.

I see several AAA shooters who do.  In fact the shooter who came 3rd in the world championships this year takes them out altogether on close rabbits and driven .And I cannot believe anyone is naive enough to think buying a fixed choke gun will turn them into digweed.
shooting grounds I go to   rabbits aint never that close  to use  cylinder ?       no one suggested a fixed choke gun would turn them into a digweed !      only pies could do that   !   :hyper:

I'm no digweed, but I use a fixed choke sporter.  3/8, 3/8 and if I've got something right on the end of the gun I'll drop a piston-wad 9 in.

Love my Invictus Supersport (M Spec) Sporter....was 3/4 and full to start but had it opened to 1/2 and 3/4 mostly for psychological reasons. 

I was terrified at first having been a die hard multi choke 1/4 and 1/2 shooter for several years, but once I’d got used to it and stopped actually thinking about chokes at all I settled back down. 

It’s the first fixed choke gun I’ve ever owned and I love the balance, not to mention the patterns it seems to throw with fibres. 

I find it quite intriguing that we have a regular debate on chokes and above we see some well known participants on this forum advising there preferred choice of fixed choke which is usually the same constriction in each barrel.

But – there are also several different preferences. I have this regular debate in my head and I am coming to the conclusion that ¼ & ¼ Teague sounds about right for my gun.  But then I say why not ½ & ½?  Just wish I could decide. I don’t choke twiddle but with ¼ & ½ in I usually use the selector to shoot the closest clay with ¼ if it seems logical.

Once I decide on my choke choice I will have my MK60 tweaked if necessary and park the B725 for a while.

Half and a quarter - with Perazzi's sense of humour incorporated - they are tight.  There are several reasons for me:

1) Its a shotgun - a bunch of soft lead balls being shoved down hard steel tubes using high explosive - there will only be one winner and it isn't the shot.  And we put restrictions (chokes) in so those soft lead balls end up being even less spherical than they were a fraction of a second earlier..  So best not over-think this one, it's just getting worse.

2) Breaking targets is about getting the lead in the right place at the right time, fretting about chokes is just another variable that my 1 bit brain can't compute, add cartridge choice and shot size and that's migraine material.

3) The weapon's effective range isn't that great in the first place so as the distances increase so does the need for luck to supplement the skill in (2) above - the target could fly through a correctly placed pattern because the shot 'cloud' is  inconsistent  because of (1) above. 

4) Fixed chokes don't get stuck, work loose or need removal for cleaning - there isn't a lot not too like .

So interchangeable chokes don't really, truthfully add much value but it's 'techie', adds a differentiator, something extra in the sales pitch for a gun.  On most shooting grounds if you see a shooter changing choke tubes before a stand they almost always miss because it's a head game thing.  Do they miss because there is a nagging doubt about the wrong choice of tube or that their mates are now thinking 'plonker'???

I have a feeling I'm about to get torched....

buying a fixed choke gun is like buying a car with only 3rd gear working . buying a multi choke gun and not ever changing chokes is like buying a manual car and only using one gear.

buying a fixed choke gun is like buying a car with only 3rd gear working . buying a multi choke gun and not ever changing chokes is like buying a manual car and only using one gear.
No,its like buying an automatic you simply start and go without the need to change gear  :biggrin:

Back