Cleaning & greasing a new O&U shotgun?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antse7en

Hi chaps,

As a number of you were following my other thread on gun purchase, you’ll know I just purchased a new B725 sporter 2.

What are the initial steps in cleaning and greasing the gun? 

Anything else I should know or take care of?

I have a 12g Bisley presentation kit and will be picking up some Bisley gun grease tomorrow. 

Thanks.

Grease the bearing surfaces before you use it and it will bed in nicely. Clean the barrels and action with spray oil and off you go. Make sure you keep using grease on the knuckle - not a great deal, just enough to provide some lubrication and it will be fine.

Interestingly the gun room at E.J. said there’s no need to prepare the gun anymore as they’re shipped ready to go nowadays. “Nothing more than a wipe down required.”

Doesnt sound right to me and I’ll be greasing/oiling regardless. 

I would want it how I want it. I would just clean it bare and lubricate as I like. Usually that means getting the factory grease off and starting again..

Anyone got a link to a definitive and newbie friendly anatomy of a shotgun... cos I'm not sure what the bearing surfaces are, so it might be handy for others to be able to look up what the more experienced on here are talking about when mentioning specific areas?

Anyone got a link to a definitive and newbie friendly anatomy of a shotgun... cos I'm not sure what the bearing surfaces are, so it might be handy for others to be able to look up what the more experienced on here are talking about when mentioning specific areas?
+1 on that 

Get You-Tubing boys!
Yeah, even then people often tend to talk as if it's speaking to someone who knows what's what, although it is a start.

The bearing surfaces in short are any part of the action to barrels that move and touch.
Thanks, but if you've ever seen the film 'Office Space', this still feels like the scene where they're looking in the dictionary to understand what money laundering means, i.e. I'm slowly reading the words in different ways hoping I'll get one way in which they'll make sense to me. 😄 I'm taking a punt that you mean, and I'm really dumbing down here, the metal face at the end of the barrel where it cocks opens and pivots away, and the flat face at the front of the stock which that closes on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, even then people often tend to talk as if it's speaking to someone who knows what's what, although it is a start.

Thanks, but if you've ever seen the film 'Office Space', this still feels like the scene where they're looking in the dictionary to understand what money laundering means, i.e. I'm slowly reading the words in different ways hoping I'll get one way in which they'll make sense to me. 😄 I'm taking a punt that you mean, and I'm really dumbing down here, the metal face at the end of the barrel where it cocks opens and pivots away, and the flat face at the front of the stock which that closes on?
Ok,gun goes Stock (made of wood) needs no greasing but may need oiling depending on finish.Action (lump of metal between lump of wood and metal tubes),Barrels (metal tubes) and the Forend (lump of wood) which attaches to the bottom of barrels holding action and barrels together.

The bearing surfaces of the action and barrel form a hinge any part of this that touches and moves should be lubricated lightly with your chosen product to prevent,pick up,stiction,wear,etc

Last edited by a moderator:
The “  flat face at the front of the stock” is called the “Breech “ . The reason that cleaning and lubricating the hinge pin is this .  When the gun is closed with cartridges in it the back face of the barrels has a very precise clearance from the face of the breech .  This is referred to as the head space .,If you don’t clean and  lubricate the main hinge pin ( or trunnions in Beretta type actions ) correctly it will wear rapidly. When this happens the barrels are futher foward from the breech face and you have excessive headspace . The cartridge can move . This gives you all sorts of fun and games including excessive recoil . Fire enough rounds and don’t maintain enough and you end up with a “ loose” gun . We rented one on holiday in Spain this year . Zoli trap, kicked like a mule , and the fore end lever would drop every 20 rounds !  Having said that it was obviously the range “ loaner” and had more abuse than a hundred private guns would ever see . 

Ok,gun goes Stock (made of wood) needs no greasing but may need oiling depending on finish.Action (lump of metal between lump of wood and metal tubes),Barrels (metal tubes) and the Forend (lump of wood) which attaches to the bottom of barrels holding action and barrels together.

The bearing surfaces of the action and barrel form a hinge any part of this that touches and moves should be lubricated lightly with your chosen product to prevent,pick up,stiction,wear,etc
Ta... as a newb, your initial sentence read to me partly that the word action was as a verb, not a noun. :) 👍

And cheers for the explanation too Martyn. Practically, it makes almost obvious sense to not want a gap between the breech and the action (got that right??! #everyday's-a-schoolday 😃) but nice to understand the ramifications as to WHY you don't want it apart from force going sideways.

Back