Fibre / Felt wad cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

I think we all need to find a fibre cartridge that we like and are happy with the performance of for clayshooting.

So, are they dearer because they are made in lower volumes, because the fibre wads are actually dearer, or is it just an established market force price thing? Because price is one of the biggest issues against them I would say, especially the really nice ones like Hull Pro Fibre. 

So, are they dearer because they are made in lower volumes, because the fibre wads are actually dearer, or is it just an established market force price thing? Because price is one of the biggest issues against them I would say, especially the really nice ones like Hull Pro Fibre. 
They're supposed to be harder to feed through machinery 😏  plus needing a touch more powder. The point is that they also kick more and do next to nothing in combatting litter in the countryside because 1) the lead still gets scattered everywhere for crying out and 2) plaswads are in the main contained within designated shooting zones and are infinitely more easily retrievable than lead shot.

Don't forget many guns don't like felt loads, I can understand a busybody with a grudge against shooting proposing this kind of thing but from within !?!

Because you will have to at some shoots in 2019.

As for harder to manufacture, how did we manage before plaswads?

I didn't realise that Plaswads didn't spread Lead shot around, Hamster thanks for the insight.

I am neither a Snowflake or a Busybody , just giving you a heads up.

Because you will have to at some shoots in 2019.

As for harder to manufacture, how did we manage before plaswads?

I didn't realise that Plaswads didn't spread Lead shot around, Hamster thanks for the insight.

I am neither a Snowflake or a Busybody , just giving you a heads up.
Having met you i realise you are as politically incorrect as i...there was a winking smiley!  :pleasantry:

schmokin,

No hidden agenda implied or intended, just a heads up for us all to be prepared.

It will be of no use whatsoever saying " CPSA shoots are plastic wad only , they cannot force us to shoot fibre ."  

I heard recently (not confirmed , YET) that Oakedge will now only use black clays (so there's a problem with seeing them against some backgrounds) and fibre wad only , in line with a number of other grounds who are thinking about it.

I heard recently (not confirmed , YET) that Oakedge will now only use black clays (so there's a problem with seeing them against some backgrounds) and fibre wad only , in line with a number of other grounds who are thinking about it.
It would be fascinating to hear the rationale for implementing that BS!  Hopefully the customers (who are always right) will impress upon the management the error of that change.  Otherwise you get what you ask for / deserve

It would be fascinating to hear the rationale for implementing that BS!  Hopefully the customers (who are always right) will impress upon the management the error of that change.  Otherwise you get what you ask for / deserve
They were chucking orange clays you couldn't see at the British Open,this fibre wad thing seems to be more northern as the only place i know down this way is Barbury but only for practice...plastic for comps.

Our club shoot is fibre only but understandably so as it is on a dairy farm.

Three Counties Shooting Club in Basingstoke where I frequent only allows fibre at their Chalkyhill site.  As I have only ever used fibre I know no difference and will likely stick with them.

schmokin,

No hidden agenda implied or intended, just a heads up for us all to be prepared.

It will be of no use whatsoever saying " CPSA shoots are plastic wad only , they cannot force us to shoot fibre ."  

Various registered shoots have been fibre wad in recent years. AGL, once a vehement fibre ground did figure out that by allowing plastic they got another 50 entries however.. EJC are the same, a fibre ground, but allow plas for reg comps. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Have look at the fibre Hull Sporting 100 pattern test at 40 yards in Septembers Clay Shooting magazine and tell me why you need plastic... They had a better consistency than the plastic wad version.

Have look at the fibre Hull Sporting 100 pattern test at 40 yards in Septembers Clay Shooting magazine and tell me why you need plastic... They had a better consistency than the plastic wad version.
The plastic Hull 100 are a poor pattern in fairness.. 😆

The plastic Hull 100 are a poor pattern in fairness.. 😆
Regardless, look at the pattern and tell me if the leads is in the right place what isn't going to break... If people want to continue shooting plastic then bio degradable has to be the only way and they need to degrade as fast as possible.

Regardless, look at the pattern and tell me if the leads is in the right place what isn't going to break... If people want to continue shooting plastic then bio degradable has to be the only way and they need to degrade as fast as possible.
I have always maintained that a good quality fibre cartridge works well. But the other issues of cost, recoil and mess remain. (I’m not even starting on how some over bore guns don’t like them). It’s the same as the 24g argument. While they are not the best option, few people will use them voluntarily.

I agree, the best solution is a substitute wad that works and costs exactly like plastic, but degrades well. It just hasn’t appeared yet. It must do someday. 

Once you accept the notion that plaswads (which are retrievable and only go 50 yards) are a menace 😶  then you will also have to admit that lead shot itself which gets scattered six times as far is a hazard. Ban one and the other has to follow, that's the point I think some are missing. 

Latest posts

Back