Gloves for shooting?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Spavo

Having only started shooting this year, this week is the first time I've felt a bit of a nip in the air, or moreso around my hands when out busting a few clays. I'm very much aware of trying to play instruments out in the elements and cold halls that you simply cannot do the intricate stuff under those conditions as the fingers won't work, so I reckon it's a fair presumption that the same or similar goes for shooting as it gets colder?

So what types/styles or even makes of gloves do people use when the weather starts turning? (not between stands as any gloves will do, but actually whilst shooting so on all the time)

Save yourself a lot of time and trouble and just order some MacWethttps://www.macwet.com/products/overview.php . The big plus is that they offer a spot on sizing service , so they fit like a second skin. As the name suggests they grip in the wet , in fact grip better than anything I’ve tried on a wet stock . Great value at about £30 straight from the distributor . There are a few styles , I’m currently using fleece backed long cuff for winter . If you want a traditional thin leather shooting glove , Dents are the brand to look up ,  I prefer unlined , again for feel . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking to try some sealskinz for game shooting in the wet and cold, they seem to be very popular.
I have a pair of these, but for cycling. I can put my gloved hand in a bucket of water and my hand comes out dry.........but not now though as I no longer cycle.

I cut off a couple of fingers and the thumb (of the gloves 😁) to use for shooting.   

Disposable hand warmers in between stands are usually enough as my hands don't get cold enough while actually shooting at worse some thin leather golfing type gloves but i prefer nothing.
Bonus with the hand warmers is they last for ages so i make a scorer happy when i finish.

I have just picked up a pair of sealskinz hunters today. Very nice gloves, n9t as slender as mcwets obviously but seem very good. Sizings are all to cock though, website said measure around knuckles in inches, I measured 8.5", 9" was a medium, ended up needing at XL on the finish, no where near the suggested size guide.

Look forward to trying them out soon.

Another vote for Macwets. I use them all year round. The mesh backed in Summer and the long cuffed variety in winter. I get mine off the 'bay'. Look at the golf glove Macwets, same gloves, just cheaper  !  The only other type that I use are the fleece winter golf gloves, warmer than the Macwets and sold in pairs. They have an all weather palm for grip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Macwets get the vote to actually shoot in.

However, I'm going to be using some thermal windproof mittens between stands!

Latest posts

Back