stock finish

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

OK so I have a Beretta 687 silver pigeon III which I bought new many years back. I have it for sale and had an enquiry about the stock wood being different to the forend. Now to be honest I hardly shot the gun and the wood does look different... much lighter in colour and not as well grained though not bad it just looks as though it has had far less finish on it. Anyway I went to the workshop and removed the butt plate off ( first time ) and it has a different serial number to the rest of the gun ?? I bought it new it came with a full ten year Beretta warranty and all the gubbins when I registered it with Beretta. I can only assume 

A) there was a fault with the original stock or

B ) the gunshop owner changed the stock for some reason ( maybe he liked it and put it on his own gun) and put on one that is similar but clearly not the same and it was brand new when I got it not a mark on the gun or wood forend or stock.

Got to say I was a bit daft for not noticing it but it was the first shot gun I bought removing two screws would have revealed all... but in my defense I have taken the gun to two different shops and both of them offered me a good price and never even mentioned the stock ? I was wondering if a bit of stock oil would help bring the wood grain up a bit the would looks very dry and flat as it is now, although around the pistol grip it actually looks quite good pics attached. I feel quite bad about it some may think I am trying to pull a fast one though the gun has actually fired less than 1000 shells prob nearer 500!DSCN3734.JPGDSCN3737.JPG

I’m absolutely no expert, but that looks like a higher grade wood on the forend. I’m sure that the same serial number should be on all the components of the gun, or frankly what’s the point of having them?

Have you spoken to the dealer that you bought it from?

I’m interested in seeing what the other guys have to say, but without the numbers matching how can you be sure that you’ve bought a genuine new gun, and not a mix and match (like a cut and shut) gun??

I wasn't aware the stocks came with any kind of matching serial number, anyway slight differences in both the grain and stain are fairly common although yours does look a tad more of a mismatch.

It is entirely possible that the gunsmith took a fancy to the original stock and replaced it with one he had lying around, a similar thing happened on the very first new gun I ordered when having called Laurona UK they promised to send me a "looker" . I already had a 2nd hand 28" field model Laurona and had saved up to upgrade to their then dandy new clay specific 30" gun, sadly they decided to send the shop two guns (one for stock) and yes you've guessed it they promptly stashed "my" one and presented me with the the most horrid plain thing I'd ever seen 😞 being young and super keen I literally got an instant headache 😂  with the stress of it all and went home and called them to complain. They were very surprised and apologetic and suggested I go back the next day (after they make contact with the supplier) blah blah and sure enough the right gun suddenly made an appearance, it had beautiful tiger stippling on the fore end and stock but alas it shot low and left but that's another story. :)  

I am certain yours can be rectified by a competent wood chap who will strip and re-stain re-oil it to match the fore end colour, I fear it's too late to speak to the original seller. 

I’m absolutely no expert, but that looks like a higher grade wood on the forend. I’m sure that the same serial number should be on all the components of the gun, or frankly what’s the point of having them?

Have you spoken to the dealer that you bought it from?

I’m interested in seeing what the other guys have to say, but without the numbers matching how can you be sure that you’ve bought a genuine new gun, and not a mix and match (like a cut and shut) gun??
Yes you are right the front end is different from the stock the stock is a different number from the gun. I have not actually removed the wood of the from end I am just going by the number on the front iron. The thing that puzzles me is the gun to me and others looks to be genuinely brand new also when I bought the gun, and that was 2005 I think, I sent the warranty registration off to GMK they then returned to me notification of the registration of the gun and the 10 warranty booklet?? I would have thought they would know the gun and know if it was genuine or not from the serial number? However there are some rouges about but I find it stretching the imagination to have a gun that looks 100% new to somehow have been something that has been knocked up out of several other bits of a Beretta 687 silver pigeon III . I can see how you could change the wood but the metal work is all immaculate and the serial numbers look absolutely genuine. Notwithstanding all this here we have what looks to me anyway to be a genuine new 687 sil pig III why would a gunshop change all the wood ?? Don't forget the legality of all of this would a registered firearms dealer really  flirt with the law and the import dealers?? I am more intrigued than anything else I love a good mystery/ conspiracy :)  

I would love to know what more experience shooters think about this.

I am certain yours can be rectified by a competent wood chap who will strip and re-stain re-oil it to match the fore end colour, I fear it's too late to speak to the original seller.
Yes I bought it in 2005 Hammy. One thing I did notice Hammy was although the gun was not fired very often I did use it for about three or four seasons and when cleaning it I did get a lot of gun oil on the front end wood ... which seemed to me at least to soak into the wood and did really make the wood go dark so much so I made a point of not getting oil near it after a while ... the stock never ever got any oil and if anything looks even paler than is used to. I am trying to sell it now and really just wondered if trying a bit of stock oil on it would do much, as far as I can see it is not lacquered so I thought it my soak some up and go a bit darker. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The 20 bore SP3 that I had was certainly oiled finish. Use some 0000 grade steel wool with a drop of stock oil to flatten  any previous finish, then apply some alkanet root (red) oil, leaving 24 hours between coats. Keep applying alkanet root, until the desired colour is reached. Then apply some stock oil (NOT Tru-oil), a small dab rubbed in by palm of hand on each side and allowed to dry between coats. It should make a lot of difference. I would leave the forend wood alone. Remember do NOT try for a quick-fix. Only apply very small amounts of stock oil at a time. IF you overdo the oil, it is right back to square 1 and start all over again  !

The CCL range of oils are very good, have a look on fleabay, they do a kit of 3 oils and all the bits too.

If you are just looking to flip the gun don't waste your time screwing with it - the work will add nothing to the price.  I would guess that your legal concerns extend only to the action proper and maybe barrel.  Numbers on the rest of the parts have no standing other than testimony to origin.

It does indeed look like you got beat on the wood.  Actually fairly cheap lesson in paying attention.  But you were young and stupid at the time so no harm no foul.  Save yourself time/$/effort and just give someone else the opportunity to delight in the gun.    :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back