Not another 'which gun' thread...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChewyDan

Well, sort of.

Hi all, new to the sport after a few experience days and starting lessons soon. I'm in no rush to buy my first gun, but I am naturally narrowing down my options.

Is anyone aware of any shooting grounds that have a decent range of demo / training guns to try? Or decent gun shops attached to a shooting ground? I'm based in the South-East, but distance is not a problem.

Also, I'll take any recommendations on any game fairs / shows coming up in 2019 that are well represented by the major manufacturers? Just be good to try out a few alongside each other as I'm not sure as a novice I'd be able to tell what I like and don't like about a gun unless there's a direct comparison available.

Cheers in advance! 👍

Danny

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Will,

Do any of those have a better reputation than the others or are they all pretty similar?

Chris Potter Guns at Tunbridge Wells used to have an arrangement with West Kent Shooting School a few miles away to try guns, might be worthwhile checking if they still do.

Further away there's Ian Coley's gun shop on his ground, that's just outside Cheltenham.

A bit further still is Premier Guns at Doveridge shooting ground in Derbyshire.

Potters will let you take demo guns away to try.  West Kent and Willow Farm aren't far away.  Don't think Southdown have much of a range in their shop (although I haven't looked for a while)

Cheers Will,

Do any of those have a better reputation than the others or are they all pretty similar?
Different I would say.. controversial to pick one. Oxford gun co may have best selection of “first gun” but I’m not convinced they are the best at getting the customer what they NEED. I would visit several places if you’re not sure what you want. 

Potters certainly don't tie you down to using a particular ground if using a demo gun.  They let me take one Friday to Monday so i could test it out properly.  IMO Potters is one of, if not, the best shops in the south east.  The professionalism of Jake and Dionne in the gun room is second to none.  

Potters certainly don't tie you down to using a particular ground if using a demo gun.  They let me take one Friday to Monday so i could test it out properly.  IMO Potters is one of, if not, the best shops in the south east.  The professionalism of Jake and Dionne in the gun room is second to none.  
Lots of good places, (like Park Street guns) but if you don’t have your certificate yet it needs to be a shooting ground.

You're biased.  When's the Salvinelli arrive?

W7xtOKg.jpg

He didn't post the photo of him holding it.  Probably because he is sporting the biggest sh*t-eating grin I've ever seen.

Watch out for the open days at Coleys. These are quite simply superb. All the major players are there and of course their own stock. Try as many as you want. Used it a couple of times when looking for semi auto and then later for something a little more high end. Recommended. They usually have two a year . April and September???

Jasper.

Back