686 silver pigeon sporter

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kr55tan

Hi all I recently put a post up about what to buy for a 1st gun today I tried a 686 silver pigeon 1 sporter I really liked the feel and the way it shot I'm just wondering if you guys have any opinions on this gun I will be shooting sporting clays with hopefully in the future some pigeon  days

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all I recently put a post up about what to buy for a 1st gun today I tried a 686 silver pigeon 1 sporter I really liked the feel and the way it shot I'm just wondering if you guys have any opinions on this gun I will be shooting sporting clays with hopefully in the future some pigeon  days

thanks
They are fine, mainly as a beginners gun. It was my first gun. You won’t find any top shots using one as they are a bit light. Beginners like a light gun as it’s easy to handle, before you get used to shooting. I would suggest a gun weighing 8lbs or more as a serious clay tool in the long term. 

They are fine, mainly as a beginners gun. It was my first gun. You won’t find any top shots using one as they are a bit light. Beginners like a light gun as it’s easy to handle, before you get used to shooting. I would suggest a gun weighing 8lbs or more as a serious clay tool in the long term. 
Is it just weight that lets them down I don't think I will ever competition shoot it's just more of a hobby at the moment but I really want a gun that is ok for everything 

A recent SP1 sporter is probably the best 686 sporter ever produced but as Will says, early ones were typically around 7lb 12oz. I've seen later ones with HP chokes and fully vented barrels at 8lb. They are as durable and reliable as any other 68x series simply because they all have the exact same action - and that includes the 682 Gold E.

A recent SP1 sporter is probably the best 686 sporter ever produced but as Will says, early ones were typically around 7lb 12oz. I've seen later ones with HP chokes and fully vented barrels at 8lb. They are as durable and reliable as any other 68x series simply because they all have the exact same action - and that includes the 682 Gold E.
The one I tried is brand new but I don't know what it weighed it was a bit thumpy but we was using black gold 28gram cartridges so that's probably why

Understand the point on weight but how much more lump are the guns you're talking about, and which models as examples, as my Browning b525 is supposed to be about 7.7 pound and even the 725 is about the same so not that near to 8lb yet I know a few people who have them as main guns?

Strangely, the reviews of the mk38 have that as over 8lb but the miroku website states it as the same as the b525 so who knows what's going on?! 😣

You just can't rely on the makers website weight figures. Also weight varies for individual examples of the same model. I looked at 3 apparently identical guns (not Berettas) about 3 or 4 years ago and the weights varied from 8lb 2oz to 8lb 5oz.

Gun weight matters for recoil reduction and you don't really notice a heavier gun as long as the weight distribution and balance are well sorted.

Well, I'm 6'3" and used to be a second row forward so gun weight isn't an issue with me (I like the positive inertia of a steady gun), but I can understand it with more slight individuals. :)

More than stature, this light gun thing is more an issue of whether you are a seasoned shooter. Beginners have two issues with a heavy gun: a) They have not trained the appropriate muscles to hold the gun up easily and b) they will actually hold the gun up for way longer per shot, while they shuffle about getting comfortable and thinking, which increases the strain.

I know young teens, including girls, who have been shooting for two years that handle a sturdy 12g with ease.

Has anyone shot the fabarm axis rs12 by any chance I would really like to try one before I commit to buying a gun I really like the look of  it

Has anyone shot the fabarm axis rs12 by any chance I would really like to try one before I commit to buying a gun I really like the look of  it
NOOOOOOO! It’s like a Browning Cynergy, aimed at dazzling beginners with “special” looks. Too light, too weird. Just no.

NOOOOOOO! It’s like a Browning Cynergy, aimed at dazzling beginners with “special” looks. Too light, too weird. Just no.
It dazzled me I thought it would be fairly good with it coming from the same stable as Caesar guerini

Sorry, I’m thinking of the old / other version, which is a 6lb thing..!

I still stick to the Browning, Beretta Miroku used gun mantra for any newbie.. If only because newbies WILL change gun within 18 months, so resale should be a factor..

I saw the same review it's made me so curious as to try one I never thought buying a gun would be this hard it was easier to buy my car infact I didn't do this much looking into different things when buying our house 🙈
Look at it this way, if you get one of the very popular brands, (and establish that it fits you roughly) you can eliminate the worry that your shooting progress is being hampered by an unusual-handling gun. Also, in the future, the better gun you will likely go for will handle similarly. And the resale argument never goes away. 

Look at it this way, if you get one of the very popular brands, (and establish that it fits you roughly) you can eliminate the worry that your shooting progress is being hampered by an unusual-handling gun. Also, in the future, the better gun you likely go for will handle similarly. And the resale argument never goes away. 
Yes mate I understand where your coming from everyone I speak to seems to have the same view 

Back