Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

antse7en

SP1 vs 682 Gold E? Opinions on gun purchase decision..

Recommended Posts

antse7en
1 hour ago, Charliej said:

I can vouch for Simon's work have had 2 guns fitted with adjustable coombes and the Jones adjustable butt pads a k80 as and 3800 superb work and a 4 day turnaround. Tried 2 682 gold e 's yesterday at Sportsman Exeter one in 32 " left handed  and a 30" right handed both in excellent condition one at £1450 and £1550 both shot very well maybe worth a phone call if it helps 😁

Good to hear, nearly everyone rates him from what I’ve seen.

He said he’d need a couple of weeks with mine for the refinish etc.

I have a masterclass booked with Ben Husthwaite on Dec 6th as a gift in Leicester so this is all leading up to that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gaz660_1

Your money your choice but......

if you intend to buy a £1800 Gold E and spend a further £500 on restoration why not buy a new 686 evo if you want a traditional 68 series action or a  690 and have a new gun for similar or less outlay and have a full warranty etc?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
antse7en
3 minutes ago, gaz660_1 said:

Your money your choice but......

if you intend to buy a £1800 Gold E and spend a further £500 on restoration why not buy a new 686 evo if you want a traditional 68 series action or a  690 and have a new gun for similar or less outlay and have a full warranty etc?

 

Yup this is exactly the point I was eluding to earlier! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gaz660_1

£1800 is a lot for a Gold E of unknown provenance.. the last one I purchased (a fixed comb 32”) was new at £1690 ! In the unlikely event 🤔 you decide to p/x in the future your £2300 investment will be worth £1200-1400 (I’ve been there) . I’ve shot my mates 690 Black Edition 30” extensively which is a cracking piece of kit and      easily the equal of any Gold E in my opinion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jasper

I give up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gaz660_1

Jasper

In addition to my A400Excel and Benelli Super Sport my O/U is a 525 Trap One for every reason you stayed in your earlier post but the op seems to be predisposed to Beretta and , in my opinion for what it’s worth, a new 690/ 686 Evo is a better investment than a Gold E of unknown provenance 🙈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
antse7en
10 minutes ago, jasper said:

I give up. 

£1700 525 browning new?

Im nothing if not open minded. I’ll shoot one this week and give you my view. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Woodcock
3 hours ago, schmokinn said:

I felt it totally necessary and not offensive in any way,so a snowflake to boot 🙄

I have held a SGC for over thirty five years so if I express an opinion it is based on hard earned experience. I know the Beretta brand inside out. You are obviously more expert than me so I, a mere snowflake, will accept that a gun with a mismatched coloured stock and fore end is a bargain buy. If the mismatch is down to lighting then I apologise unreservedly.

lf the newbie buys a new gun then he loses 20% to VAT. If he buys a second hand 682E at a sensible price and he gets Simon at Premier Guns to work his magic then he will end up with a gun that he will eventually grow into. This gun will be far superior to anything that he could afford to buy new.

l look forward to the day that Schmokinn and I can meet up and discuss the merits of shooting a 682E. I don’t think that he and I would differ too much in the merit of buying a pedigree second hand Beretta against the mediocre fare that the Beretta factory is pumping out at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SIMON-B

This is just my opinion as I have found it to be. Bookham guns never budges on price, most of the guns that are on sale have sat on the shelf for years. All the guns I have looked at have been in fairly good condition but don't expect to haggle, I have tried a couple of times over the years and have ended up buying equal quality elsewhere at better prices. I still miss my 682 Gold E, my biggest sale regret since I started shooting. Good luck with your first purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
antse7en
19 minutes ago, SIMON-B said:

This is just my opinion as I have found it to be. Bookham guns never budges on price, most of the guns that are on sale have sat on the shelf for years. All the guns I have looked at have been in fairly good condition but don't expect to haggle, I have tried a couple of times over the years and have ended up buying equal quality elsewhere at better prices. I still miss my 682 Gold E, my biggest sale regret since I started shooting. Good luck with your first purchase.

That’s really valuable Simon thank you. 

It also echos my local FEOs view of Bookham Guns - John doesn’t give an inch! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Griff

Really interested in this topic as I’m in a similar position, looking forward to finding out what happens next? 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
antse7en
4 minutes ago, John Griff said:

Really interested in this topic as I’m in a similar position, looking forward to finding out what happens next? 👍

I will keep you updated! 

Also feel free to elaborate on your own circumstances in this thread :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Griff
15 minutes ago, antse7en said:

I will keep you updated! 

Also feel free to elaborate on your own circumstances in this thread :)

Well, I’ve tried a Miroku mk70, bettensoli (something) a few 525’s, a Yildiz Sporter, a beretta DT 11 and a beretta semi auto and SP, and most recently a 686 onyx, which seemed brilliant. Got the FEO visit Tuesday and everything else is in place so should be able to buy a gun in next few weeks.

no idea what’s best, I shot really well with the onyx just have no idea what to buy or where from. Looked at Ian coleys, Oxford GC, mid Wales SG and a few others, just seems a minefield🤷‍♂️?

need to think of resale value, or should I buy a gun that fits even if it’s a Yildiz or ATA or Ceaser Guerini which review brilliantly but aren’t  well thought of 🤷‍♂️  All posts suggest that the first gun won’t be your last as you’ll change it at some point, if so should I just buy the cheapest and accept that or look to buy the best/most appropriate gun I can and accept this as a long term marriage?

It messes with me head to be honest? My budget is anywhere between 1k and 2.5k depending on so many factors. If I find a gun I’m happy with I’ll spend up to 2.5k, if I believe everyone in that I’ll change within 12-18 months than I should spend 1k max? Who knows what’s best 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️  

So I’ll happily follow what happens and see what your outcome is? (Not that you’re my guinea pig 😂😂).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
antse7en
14 minutes ago, John Griff said:

Well, I’ve tried a Miroku mk70, bettensoli (something) a few 525’s, a Yildiz Sporter, a beretta DT 11 and a beretta semi auto and SP, and most recently a 686 onyx, which seemed brilliant. Got the FEO visit Tuesday and everything else is in place so should be able to buy a gun in next few weeks.

no idea what’s best, I shot really well with the onyx just have no idea what to buy or where from. Looked at Ian coleys, Oxford GC, mid Wales SG and a few others, just seems a minefield🤷‍♂️?

need to think of resale value, or should I buy a gun that fits even if it’s a Yildiz or ATA or Ceaser Guerini which review brilliantly but aren’t  well thought of 🤷‍♂️  All posts suggest that the first gun won’t be your last as you’ll change it at some point, if so should I just buy the cheapest and accept that or look to buy the best/most appropriate gun I can and accept this as a long term marriage?

It messes with me head to be honest? My budget is anywhere between 1k and 2.5k depending on so many factors. If I find a gun I’m happy with I’ll spend up to 2.5k, if I believe everyone in that I’ll change within 12-18 months than I should spend 1k max? Who knows what’s best 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️  

So I’ll happily follow what happens and see what your outcome is? (Not that you’re my guinea pig 😂😂).

 

That is brilliant - it's effectively a transcript of my mind. 

I've looked at the same gun shops, taken a few trips too (including a visit to TGS in Botley where the gunsmith gave me some quite ludicrous measurements on a business card).

I was looking at the ATA SP very early on, but they feel so, so cheap in your hands when compared to the higher calibre guns. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I've shot loads too - but there have always been variables. The type of shooting, cartridge used, clothing worn, measurements of the gun, weight, etc etc. Perhaps we should pair up, join forces and spend a whole day at a shop with a range and narrow it down - minimise the variables!!

Budget wise we are also very similar, I am happy to pay for what is right. With that said, a £500-£700 savings buys a hell of a lot of cartridges and clays; both of which rack up the hours and experience. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Griff
35 minutes ago, antse7en said:

That is brilliant - it's effectively a transcript of my mind. 

I've looked at the same gun shops, taken a few trips too (including a visit to TGS in Botley where the gunsmith gave me some quite ludicrous measurements on a business card).

I was looking at the ATA SP very early on, but they feel so, so cheap in your hands when compared to the higher calibre guns. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I've shot loads too - but there have always been variables. The type of shooting, cartridge used, clothing worn, measurements of the gun, weight, etc etc. Perhaps we should pair up, join forces and spend a whole day at a shop with a range and narrow it down - minimise the variables!!

Budget wise we are also very similar, I am happy to pay for what is right. With that said, a £500-£700 savings buys a hell of a lot of cartridges and clays; both of which rack up the hours and experience. 

 

Surprised at the TGS in Botley, watched a lot of their YouTube videos and always seemed knowledgable?

having played a lot of golf over many many years I’m well aware of what marketing and popular opinion can do in terms of confidence and sales. That said, I also know it’s important to find someone you can trust and acknowledge their advice on what’s best, however the problem is there are pros and cons to all the sellers in terms of this from what I’ve seen?

OGC is well reviewed but also has it’s critics, as does Ian coley, West Midlands, mid Wales etc... that’s apart from the ‘range experts’ . Makes my head spin just thinking about thinking about it all. ( that’s without the plastic v fibre, 24 or 28g shells etc, let alone chokes 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️😱. It’s enough to drive you nuts]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
antse7en
14 hours ago, John Griff said:

Surprised at the TGS in Botley, watched a lot of their YouTube videos and always seemed knowledgable?

having played a lot of golf over many many years I’m well aware of what marketing and popular opinion can do in terms of confidence and sales. That said, I also know it’s important to find someone you can trust and acknowledge their advice on what’s best, however the problem is there are pros and cons to all the sellers in terms of this from what I’ve seen?

OGC is well reviewed but also has it’s critics, as does Ian coley, West Midlands, mid Wales etc... that’s apart from the ‘range experts’ . Makes my head spin just thinking about thinking about it all. ( that’s without the plastic v fibre, 24 or 28g shells etc, let alone chokes 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️😱. It’s enough to drive you nuts]

Me too bud, which is what prompted my visit in the first place. I was shooting at Owls Lodge AM and then made my way down to TGS. Don't get me wrong, I still love the YouTube series but the LOP, drop and cast recommendations were extreme (drastically compared to what other shops and instructors had recommended). 

With that said I had a good go on the simulator at TGS which was good fun and surprisingly useful. 

So, next steps for me: 

  • Instructor is going to take a look at the 682 Gold E on Tuesday and come back to me
  • I'm taking another trip this week to William Evans where I'll try to get my hands on a couple of additional guns, for comparative purposes 
  • Next weekend I'll likely head to OGC for the same thing - I know how keen Jasper is for me to put some shots through a 525 sporter one!

My current thoughts echo what has been said in terms of finance, £1800 + the £500 work is taking me towards the next bracket of gun purchase. 

Will keep this thread updated for those interested.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
timps

£2300 is a bit steep for a 682 Gold E and does open a whole load of other options available.

I changed from Beretta to Caesar Guerini they have a 10 year transferable warranty to give you peace of mind and never regretted the change, the only downside is they don’t sell as well 2nd hand so you have to price to sell but you are certainly going to lose money on a £2300 Gold e.

At the price you would pay for that one I would look at other options, at £1400 to £1600 then Gold E all day long.

But your heart plays a big thing, if you really want a gold e then don’t settle for something just because it’s a better deal. 
I was given a Browning as my first gun off my dad and it was a like it or lump it deal. When I was actually buying my own first gun I wanted a 682 gold e but  I got talked into a Browning ultra XS. It wasn’t a bad gun but I was never settled with it as the Gold e was an itch I had to scratch, always wishing I had got one especially when shooting bad and wanted something to blame so the XS was on borrowed time from the start.

Gut feelings are hard to ignore, even when I had a DT10 I finally went out and bought a Gold E that I had convinced myself I needed for my 10 year old son 😂
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schmokinn
19 hours ago, antse7en said:

That is brilliant - it's effectively a transcript of my mind. 

I've looked at the same gun shops, taken a few trips too (including a visit to TGS in Botley where the gunsmith gave me some quite ludicrous measurements on a business card).

 

 

I was once told by a previous employer of the "gunsmith" at Botley that he is your man if you want a scope fitted the wrong way round...

Greenfeilds or Mulliners are the only shops in the area that has someone who has a competent gunsmith.

Shooting lots of guns on a given day is unlikely to get you a gun that actually fits unless you are supervised by somebody properly versed in gun fit,surprising how little some actually do know.

You will likely end up with something that you fit to.

Shooting style,mount and other factors will affect it..also you physical measurements.

There are many secondhand sleepers out there that people have bought on a whim and never really used.....less than 20% of my guns have been bought new but most you would have not been able to tell the difference when purchased.

The quality of new Beretta bears no comparison to the previous generation...period

Further thought is that if you buy a gun that fits why would you want an adjustable comb?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Westward
20 hours ago, John Griff said:

Ceaser Guerini which review brilliantly but aren’t  well thought of

 

Aren't well thought of by whom? A gunshop with lots of Beretta stock? :whistle:

Seriously though, times change and CG build very good guns and are gaining in popularity. Meanwhile Berettas are doing the opposite partly because their quality is not what it once was and partly because most of them are massively overpriced.

Long gone are the days when guns like the 682 Gold E sold for sensible money yet were built in the custom shop by engineers rather than in the main factory.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jonz
32 minutes ago, Westward said:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Griff

Well antse7en, any updates on any developments???? 👍

On 10/21/2018 at 12:49 PM, antse7en said:

My current thoughts echo what has been said in terms of finance, £1800 + the £500 work is taking me towards the next bracket of gun purchase. 

Will keep this thread updated for those interested.... 

Well antse7en, any developments so far?👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
antse7en

Sadly none whatsoever!

My instructor was unwell and therefore couldn’t get to Bookham to see the Gold E.

I’m taking a trip to William Evans tomorrow where I’ll try to handle a few - including a browning. 

Been keeping an eye on Guntrader too, enquired about a couple of Gold Es but one sold and the other was (by their own admission) absolutely battered and overused.

As soon as I’ve picked something up I’ll have pictures on here :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
El Spavo
On 10/21/2018 at 5:38 PM, schmokinn said:

There are many secondhand sleepers out there that people have bought on a whim and never really used.....

Dunno if mine falls into that category, but I picked up a 2015 built b525 (so the new Sporter One model) about 2-3 months ago for under a grand which when I tested out at AGL I asked the guy in the gun shop to have a browse over and he said it had barely been used, confirming what the shop selling had said, and I'm over the moon with it and at that price: 32", multichoke, and a handy factory case, all in great nick.

I buy my cartridges at William Evans and can heartily recommend their gunshop for advice. Before I bought mine, they had alll the usual suspects in their shop (albeit some of them grade 3-5 so out of my wallet size!), but I was just browsing and got chatting, and they were happy for me to compare fit and feel a few of the ones I was looking at. Their main gunsmith even gave me advice on what I might want to do with stock length, etc. and he was spot on. Hence my continued custom there! :)

I was relatively open to what I was after and took my time, so I'll say if you look around you can find guns for well under your budget, but it does help to know what you roughly want first and possibly be patient. I didn't feel the need to spend more, even when I definitely could have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
antse7en

Minor update. 

Visited William Evans at Bisley again today, he’s going to let me know when he gets the next 682 GE in - he’s confident a near-mint will be available for approx. £1600.

I’ll be withdrawing the deposit I had down on the Bookham gun as it’s just frankly overpriced. 

NB I handled a couple of Brownings (in the shop only) today and neither of them held much appeal. 

The search continues! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Griff

Good for you, sounds a much better price too 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×