antse7en

SP1 vs 682 Gold E? Opinions on gun purchase decision..

Woodcock

If you have shot a Beretta 682E and it fits you then this is the gun to purchase. A Browning shotgun handles completely differently to a Beretta. If you are prepared to up your budget a used Beretta DT10 in pristine condition is a serious proposition and all the gun that you will ever need. Buy carefully and the 682E and DT10 will suffer little depreciation and might just appreciate in value over time.

• Like 1

antse7en

Have to say I’m not particularly open to Browning, I’ve much better synergy with Beretta. I learned with Beretta and have shot majority since. 

As for the DT10, at this stage I would say it’s probably too much gun for my ability level. 

Quite happy pursuing the Gold E. I’m viewing the local one again tomorrow. Will attempt to inspect as much as possible. 

jasper

In real terms the difference in handling between Beretta and browning is nothing more than media hype, especially now browning have caught up on barrell weight ( lack of). Whilst some do seem to prefer one to the other , when it comes to real world not many will know the difference between either.  Its the nut behind the butt that counts. As stated a left field choice.

But brand new top quality 525 for £1700. All the gun anyone needs. The rest is just desire or belief in marketing.

Really,  most of this countries top shot were bought up on browning/ miroku  , and many still choose to spend their own money on them now. Tbh there is a lot of bs talked about this gun and that . Examine the basics and there is not really that much difference. Just marketing hype.

Did i mention £1700 brand new.

Not some 20 year old shot out tool that nobody knows how it's been treated. Well yer pays yer money , yer takes your choice. 

Jasper.

Ps.

A fool and his money are easily parted. 

Woodcock

This hard sell on the merits of a Browning when the newbie has made it perfectly clear that he is in the market for a Beretta smacks of utter desperation. The 682E is an excellent gun and will serve him well. No curved balls required!

• Like 1

Hamster

Jasper has a valid point, in fact it perfectly demonstrates why people buy brand new Hyundai Tucson instead of a used 2 yr old one owner Land Cruiser minter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

jasper

No curve balls. I shoot Beretta myself  and am well aware of all the hype and the real world use.  Had  2 682 golde which were great but both needed work after around 40000 shells and the fore ends were always loose. Just saying. 

Love the world through rose tints. 

Jasper.

Woodcock

No rose tinted glasses here. I shoot a Krieghoff Parcours but my Beretta 682E is the only “keeper” in my cabinet. The newbie was asking advice on Beretta shotguns. I offered him advice. You offered to sell him a gun.

Just saying...2BC782B1-9214-4C97-B37B-B74A5C231715.thumb.jpeg.8e3ce102ea5fb453a95ee4d6965c1b4e.jpeg

• Like 2

antse7en

Well I’ve just been back to my local gun shop and thoroughly examined the Gold E - it appears (to me at least) to be in great condition. The wood does need some work with the gloss but it shoots well. 

The seller will not budge from the £1800 price tag - still feel this is a little on the high side?

Woodcock

The value of the gun is dependent on condition. If you can get a more experienced shooter have a look at the gun and make sure that a comprehensive warranty is being offered. You need to ensure that the gun comes with the original case, chokes and other accessories. If you wish to haggle on the price check on Guntrader to get a feeling for sale prices. There is usually some room for negotiation especially since it is a cash sale. You do have to be realistic and remember that you are buying a £3k gun and that the gun shop owner needs to make some profit. A 682E in mint condition will not stay on his rack for long so do your homework and make your decision. Good luck!

antse7en
5 minutes ago, Woodcock said:

The value of the gun is dependent on condition. If you can get a more experienced shooter have a look at the gun and make sure that a comprehensive warranty is being offered. You need to ensure that the gun comes with the original case, chokes and other accessories. If you wish to haggle on the price check on Guntrader to get a feeling for sale prices. There is usually some room for negotiation especially since it is a cash sale. You do have to be realistic and remember that you are buying a £3k gun and that the gun shop owner needs to make some profit. A 682E in mint condition will not stay on his rack for long so do your homework and make your decision. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback bud.

I've actually got a holding deposit on it for the time being whilst I look for somebody better informed to take a look at the gun. 

*Edit - add to that I don’t believe the shop is a “warranty” type of setup. It’s Bookham Guns and I think it’s more a case of buy as seen. 

The gun does have the case, chokes, spare trigger and beretta key.

Edited by antse7en

Hamster

£1800 is top end for a 682e mainly due to the fact there are just so many of them around so that one needs to have provable evidence that it's a low miler, even £1500 or less will buy you a really good example. I have seen the odd new one advertised for £2500 which is double what they cost when first introduced and damn close to what a DT10 in good order would fetch. 

antse7en

Here’s a video I took of the gun this morning, all of your thoughts/comments are absolutely welcome.

If the advice is to walk away then I would. 

*Edit - this uploaded terribly. It’s actually HD on my phone. 

Edited by antse7en

Woodcock

You really need to get it thoroughly inspected by someone who really knows their way around a Beretta. It is difficult to tell much from the video other than cosmetically it looks fine apart from the wood being a bit plain. Get it checked especially since no warranty is being offered. If that is the original case then the 682E will be one of the early guns. This can be checked. There will be two letters stamped on the barrels that will give you the date of manufacture. Once you find the two letters( usually stamped on the bottom of the chamber) the date code can be checked on the internet. Condition is far more important than age.

antse7en
33 minutes ago, Woodcock said:

You really need to get it thoroughly inspected by someone who really knows their way around a Beretta. It is difficult to tell much from the video other than cosmetically it looks fine apart from the wood being a bit plain. Get it checked especially since no warranty is being offered. If that is the original case then the 682E will be one of the early guns. This can be checked. There will be two letters stamped on the barrels that will give you the date of manufacture. Once you find the two letters( usually stamped on the bottom of the chamber) the date code can be checked on the internet. Condition is far more important than age.

Thanks.

Have reached out to my instructor at Bisley to see if he's happy to have a look.

Hamster

That looks in good order but being a std non adjustable stock it's not worth the asking price, also next time pay extra attention to the way the lever sits with the gun closed, needs to be very slightly off centre towards the right, another clue can be the wear marks on the trigger itself, a brand new one may well be trying to disguise something, when closing the gun it needs to clunk like a merc door, fore ends do have very slight movement and can be almost cured with loctite. 

antse7en
9 minutes ago, schmokinn said:

That looks great! Unfortunately the 30" barrels felt a little wild to me when I tried it, whereas the 32" calmed everything down into a smoother swing. Will have a look through that website - thanks. 

6 minutes ago, Hamster said:

That looks in good order but being a std non adjustable stock it's not worth the asking price, also next time pay extra attention to the way the lever sits with the gun closed, needs to be very slightly off centre towards the right, another clue can be the wear marks on the trigger itself, a brand new one may well be trying to disguise something, when closing the gun it needs to clunk like a merc door, fore ends do have very slight movement and can be almost cured with loctite. 

Thanks for the info. Here's a picture of the top lever position: 

Image from iOS (4).jpg

Woodcock
26 minutes ago, schmokinn said:

The gun looks good in the photos but you really need to see it in the flesh. One point. This Sporter has a trap fore end which some shooters prefer but does not appear original to the gun. There appears to be a difference in the colour of the stock with the fore end. Personal preference I know but 32” barrels on the 682E do make a difference to the gun in terms of pointing and handling.

• Like 1

antse7en

Also, just to add to this thread. 

When buying the 682 Gold E, my plan is to send it off to Doveridge with Simon and have him refurb the wood, fit an adjustable comb, service the gun and fit a new micro core pad. 

This will probably be around the £500 mark so add that to a purchase price of £1800 means £2300 overall outlay - creeping into the new gun territory!

Woodcock

Before you undertake this additional expense get your instructor to check whether or not the stock fits you. If you require a comb raiser to be fitted then Simon is your man. His work is exemplary. The additional bonus is that the mechanism that he fits is far superior to the factory fitted one.

Charliej

I can vouch for Simon's work have had 2 guns fitted with adjustable coombes and the Jones adjustable butt pads a k80 as and 3800 superb work and a 4 day turnaround. Tried 2 682 gold e 's yesterday at Sportsman Exeter one in 32 " left handed  and a 30" right handed both in excellent condition one at £1450 and £1550 both shot very well maybe worth a phone call if it helps 😁

schmokinn
1 hour ago, Woodcock said:

The gun looks good in the photos but you really need to see it in the flesh. One point. This Sporter has a trap fore end which some shooters prefer but does not appear original to the gun. There appears to be a difference in the colour of the stock with the fore end. Personal preference I know but 32” barrels on the 682E do make a difference to the gun in terms of pointing and handling.

It was a suggestion to show you what is available and if true to description it is  a bargain..as i stated before i have had my hands on one that was mint and got sold for that price.

Many people prefer trap forends and i have several spare ones for a variety of guns,it may not be an exact match,changed or could just be the light.

Obviously you are an expert that has years of experience so no need to point you in the direction of any bargains!

Woodcock
20 minutes ago, schmokinn said:

It was a suggestion to show you what is available and if true to description it is  a bargain..as i stated before i have had my hands on one that was mint and got sold for that price.

Many people prefer trap forends and i have several spare ones for a variety of guns,it may not be an exact match,changed or could just be the light.

Obviously you are an expert that has years of experience so no need to point you in the direction of any bargains!

You have just repeated what I have said regarding trap fore ends and yes there are bargains to be had, especially if it is a private sale. I don’t understand why you feel the need to finish with such a catty remark. The sarcasm was unnecessary and offensive.

schmokinn
4 minutes ago, Woodcock said:

The sarcasm was unnecessary and offensive.

I felt it totally necessary and not offensive in any way,so a snowflake to boot 🙄

Westward

For the record, when the Gold E and the 686E were ordered from new, the schnabel forend could be swapped for the beavertail at no extra cost.

Just saying...

• Like 1