First Shoot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazz

Sorry, the title is a little misleading but today was the first time I have shot my own starter gun and I have come home with a smile from ear to ear.   First off, the day started with pouring rain, high winds and it was really dark, so I thought the instructor would likely call of my lesson, but to be fair, it cleared up and I turned up to what was for me a really good session.

I wont bore you with too much detail, but all my anxiety was put to bed very quickly once the instructor looked over my gun and gave it the thumbs up.  Nice and clean, good action and not too shabby even though the woodwork is a little beaten up.  I found it interesting that my usual instructor suggested that it was just a smidgen low in the comb and for me to get a 10mm riser, but the chap who took me out on the ground seemed to very happy with the fit and suggested that if I felt comfortable, don't change anything.

The clay club supply 21g for beginners and that is what I have been shooting, but I took along a box of V+ 28g and have to say they are a little punchy for me.  I will try for a 24g next time to see how they feel.  I have a lovely bruise on my right cheek bone but that was my own fault as it seems I tend to grip the stock like a vice between my shoulder and cheek to hold the gun steady as my forearm tires.  Now I know this I can change my mount slightly but to be fair, it only happened the once through a 50 bird shoot.

Conclusion:  My £695 spend on my Miroku 7000 SP1 28" was for me money well spent.  It feels really comfortable and I did quite well with it resulting in 43/50 on fairly easy presentations.  I know I went against the grain by buying before trying, but I was lucky and feel really happy.  I have also discovered that a 24g is probably better suited for me and now I can look to settling down to a set up I am happy with and getting out on the ground with other shooters.  Thoroughly enjoyed today's session and I am looking forward to getting back out breaking a few clays and learning more as I get more experience.  Thanks to all those who have taken the time to answer my questions and putting up with my blathering, but it seems I'm hooked and will be staying for a while.  Yes I know there will be days when I cant hit a barn door at 20 paces, but my gun works and that is a big plus for me.  Thanks  Gary  👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Gary, just got to keep plugging away now!  I started on 24g but when shooting Fitasc (many years ago and very old style!) I felt I was at a disadvantage so tried 28g.  Stuck to them ever since.  Like the gun, you need to just find a brand that suits you. But good work and keep it up 👏

Well shot. I'm glad u are pleased with your new gun.

Try some hull comp x or gamebore white gold in 28g.

Both are good shells with a little less recoil than the velocity +.

White Gold? I always found them pretty thumpy! Comp X 28g are great in 21g but the 28g are a wet fart.. 

I'm a big fan of comp x, they seem to perform well enough. Unfortunately I lack the ability to comment on there long range effectiveness but on average sporting targets they are superb.

I admit the main reason I shoot them more than any other is the lack of recoil, sometimes I shoot a ss and they are the only cartridge I have found a pleasure to shoot through that, the reduced muzzle flip definitely helps with the 2nd shot.

The white gold I haven't shoot recently due to the higher price. My wife used to prefer them to anything else at the time due to less recoil. We even had to modify her semi auto to recycle them.

28gm comp x are worth a go. 

Lighter loads may be even better. Might try some in 24gm considering Wills comments. 

I hadn't really considered a lighter load of the same brand might perform better.

I'm a big fan of comp x, they seem to perform well enough. Unfortunately I lack the ability to comment on there long range effectiveness but on average sporting targets they are superb.

I admit the main reason I shoot them more than any other is the lack of recoil, sometimes I shoot a ss and they are the only cartridge I have found a pleasure to shoot through that, the reduced muzzle flip definitely helps with the 2nd shot.

The white gold I haven't shoot recently due to the higher price. My wife used to prefer them to anything else at the time due to less recoil. We even had to modify her semi auto to recycle them.

28gm comp x are worth a go. 

Lighter loads may be even better. Might try some in 24gm considering Wills comments. 

I hadn't really considered a lighter load of the same brand might perform better.
Think you must be shooting different White Golds to everyone else!

My experience of White Gold? Ive shot with all brands over years and these I feel are the most thumpiest of 28g cartridges Ive used, echo the comment re Hull CompX these are far “softer” to use

Interesting views from others on white gold. I had a rummage and found a couple of the ones I used to shoot, they were probably purchased 10+ years ago.

They are white with gold writing and are marked white XLR gold. Maybe stands for extra light recoil? I don't know but they may have super seeded them or discontinued. I couldn't find them on the gamebore webpage. The white gold "champions choice" version on their page have a lot more brass than the ones I had.

I mostly shoot comp x since I took up clays recently and they are very comfortable to shoot. 

To the op forget the white gold but comp x worth a try.

I used to shoot a lot of Power Gold but moved to Fiochhi on price,took a slab out at the weekend that i had left lying around and it reminded me how smooth they are i will be going back to them when i have used up 7/8000 f3,s if i can get a good price  :biggrin:

As a new shooter, I was told to try Fiocchi fblack 24g, and I have found them to be very gentle on the shoulder. I have used them for nearly 18 months now, and can’t recommend them enough. A colleague has a back issue and he has started using them too, and thinks there great.

Now my gun mount is more consistent I have changed to the fblack 28s and again they are gentle on the shoulder, but are a great cartridge. 

The 24g are £200 per 1000

the 28s are £215. 

As a new shooter, I was told to try Fiocchi fblack 24g, and I have found them to be very gentle on the shoulder. I have used them for nearly 18 months now, and can’t recommend them enough. A colleague has a back issue and he has started using them too, and thinks there great.

Now my gun mount is more consistent I have changed to the fblack 28s and again they are gentle on the shoulder, but are a great cartridge. 

The 24g are £200 per 1000

the 28s are £215. 
I have bought a slab of Evo 24g 8's fibre to have a go with to see how I get on.  £55 for 250.

Well done, nice choice of gun too. Do try some 24 gram, a few people that I shoot with have switched to 24's, all with positive results.

Latest posts

Back