24g No8 Fibre

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

Bought a couple of slabs to see how they work for me.

I have read many posts on cartridge selection, size and wad type and after shooting some 24's recently I thought I would give them a go in fibre 8's.  They will be used for typical sporting targets so it will be interesting to see how they perform.

I'm in good company then, these are Evo's as well
I nearly asked.. Yes the 24g EVO work very nicely indeed. (Actually, on plastic, I haven’t tried their fibres, but assume they’re also good) As I’ve said before, the only reason we use 28g is because we can and it might just find one more clay. I’d happily see us all restricted to 24g for sporting. 

Tried the FIocchi TT1 24g and couldn't recognise any difference between those and the 28g but I think it might be due to my inexperience. Thoughts?
The usual effect of 24g is a bit less recoil, plus a slightly smaller but very nice pattern, so great kills with perhaps a bit less margin for error. It’s only really on very distant edgey targets that you might start to worry that you might miss the extra pellets from a 28g.

Basically just get on and shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
24gm Evo's are lovely cartridges! 

The numbers show that 24gm of 8's will average 359 pellets (28gm would be 410 pellets)

28gm of 7.5's will average 350 pellets. You're really not missing out!

The best cartridge is the one that you don’t even think about while shooting. The main reason you will miss (reasonable targets) with a certain cartridge is that you’re thinking about it while shooting, which can change your whole reaction to the clay. A trusted gun with a trusted cartridge is what you must have (whatever they are). Then you ONLY think about the target. With a new gun or new cartridge I always start on some easy targets and just prove (to myself that)  it all works, then move on from there.

I think the whole Fibre and cartridge load debate is an interesting one mainly down to the fact that neither of the two are obligatory. I for instance would have not problem shooting a 24g load... if it was obligatory... in fact I would welcome the reduced load. A reduced load would probably mean most average shooters would probably lose a target or two out of a hundred but the up side is they are less tiring to shoot and cheaper. The problem with the load question is that if it is not obligatory them most will continue to shoot the heavier load and if they do then the natural thing for others is to not take the chance and stick at 28g , I do not know a single competition shooter here who would voluntarily use 24g as opposed to 28g . I think exactly the same is true for the fibre/ plastic question most shooters have been using plastic for years, and we have been told (and some believe it) that huge amounts of research has been done to perfect them, so would continue to use them unless force to do otherwise. On the lead/steel question I sticking with lead my gun cannot take steel... and even the ones that have been proved for steel I have a doubt about the longevity of the guns.

The best cartridge is the one that you don’t even think about while shooting. The main reason you will miss (reasonable targets) with a certain cartridge is that you’re thinking about it while shooting, which can change your whole reaction to the clay. A trusted gun with a trusted cartridge is what you must have (whatever they are). Then you ONLY think about the target. With a new gun or new cartridge I always start on some easy targets and just prove (to myself that)  it all works, then move on from there.
Pretty much everyone for me then,proved it to myself when i shot Lovatts pool shoot with jockers and got my best score  :biggrin:

The usual effect of 24g is a bit less recoil, plus a slightly smaller but very nice pattern, so great kills with perhaps a bit less margin for error. It’s only really on very distant edgey targets that you might start to worry that you might miss the extra pellets from a 28g.

When we get a better weather day for shooting, you might see if it makes any difference fella. 😄 I didn't notice muchn difference in recoil, and that was the main reason I tried them, so might end up sticking to the 28g's.

I nearly asked.. Yes the 24g EVO work very nicely indeed. (Actually, on plastic, I haven’t tried their fibres, but assume they’re also good) As I’ve said before, the only reason we use 28g is because we can and it might just find one more clay. I’d happily see us all restricted to 24g for sporting. 

I would add a caveat that if you use a multi choke gun a half a step tighter may be better option than sticking at what you usually use if going from a 28g load to a 24g but with plastic wads sometimes the effect on the pattern is not so noticable.

I would add a caveat that if you use a multi choke gun a half a step tighter may be better option than sticking at what you usually use if going from a 28g load to a 24g but with plastic wads sometimes the effect on the pattern is not so noticable.
Disagree; as I found that a 24g shell pattern is effectively the centre of a 28g shell. So if anything, open up the choke to get the same size spread. If you want the same density at centre of pattern , do nothing.

Disagree; as I found that a 24g shell pattern is effectively the centre of a 28g shell. So if anything, open up the choke to get the same size spread. If you want the same density at centre of pattern , do nothing.
Will... effectively what I was meaning re plastic wads but have usually found felt to be a good bit more open through my Browning to be honest. I usually tighten a bit so less spread and less holes with the 24g load as I do not want to change the pattern density too much. 

Is the above true for fibre wads as well?
 What I was saying was I find 24g plastic to have a pattern density that was just about the same at centre as a 28g but have a little less around the periphery whereas the felt wads tended to give a more open and even density so to get back to my plastic density I tighten the choke by about half a step... don't know if that makes sense to you? I really don't want my pattern density to change too much  .

24gm Evo's are lovely cartridges! 

The numbers show that 24gm of 8's will average 359 pellets (28gm would be 410 pellets)

28gm of 7.5's will average 350 pellets. You're really not missing out!
Not quite, 28g load of English 8's (2.2mm) would have 450 pellets whereas 7.5's (2.3mm) would have 396. 

If switching to 24g loads it may well pay to shoot 8's instead of 7.5's as this goes some way in cancelling out the density issue, FWIW I have shot and tested 24g V 28g loads side by side over extended periods and I agree that if we were all to switch together we wouldn't notice the difference in our collective scores BUT all said and done I reckon there is, give or take, 3 bird penalty with the lower shot count over a decent layout. 

Latest posts

Back