Max £1500 for 1st Gun advice, go for it.....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Griff

Many many Apologies for going over what I’m sure is a very well worn track, but, I’ve got £1500 to spend on a gun mainly for sporting purposes. I’m 5’10”, heavy set (yes that means fat 🤦‍♂️), right handed. I’ve shot a few different guns, Miroku, Browning 525, Bettinsoli, Yildiz, Beretta SP and DT 10, Winchester energy sport and the best thing is I’ve found I’m equally bad with all of them.

what do you suggest I’m better looking at? A used big name gun, or a new Turkish gun maybe? Just because I’ve got £1500 doesn’t mean I need to spend it all. If I spend less on a gun I can invest in lessons and shells etc? 

As I said, apologies for covering old ground but please feel free to have at it, as such 👍. I’ve got no bias to any make, just some sound advice, if only on what to avoid?

cheers in advance, John.

Used good condition Beretta 682e 30" or 32" should easily fall inside your budget, if for any reason you don't like them or can't find one in your locality then a used Miroku or Browning will be a good 2nd choice. 

What Schmokin said . £1500 should get you a nearly new gun from the usual big 3 names .  Don’t try to shoot yourself better pouring cash into shells and clays ,  it’s a hiding to nothing at an all up cost of 50 pence per miss . Get a couple of lessons at a proper shooting school ( £70 -80 a time )  , ask for advice on a gun from the instructor.  At 5’10 you are probably bang on Mr Average as far as standard measurements on guns go , but an instructor will tell you .  I’m not anti the Turkish guns ,  in the right hands they will do anything that a Euro or Jap gun will do , but if you can afford the real thing .. 

As you've most likely already figured out, different guns shoot differently and to some extent it's a matter of deciding which you prefer. This is somewhat more difficult than it sounds as you'll develop your style and preferences over a period of time, so its not likely to be that clear which is ideal gun for you in the early stages. 

So, I'd suggest that you go with a decent fitting option rather than a specific brand. Although I do agree that one of the more popular brands (Beretta/Miroku/Browning) does make sense. I say this, as in my experience many new shooters swap their first gun within a year or so. So, it makes sense to buy a good used gun that won't depreciate too much. Around £1000 should net you a decent gun, spend the rest on good hearing protection, a slip, a skeet vest, range bag etc but most importantly some lessons and of course shells! 

And from everything I was told when looking at a new one around a grand, that seems to be the key: if you go for one of the classic names, it's less likely you'll take a hit on depreciation if you decide to sell on whereas the Turkish name guns, as potent as they may or may not be, seem to be a punt as to whether they'll hold their money. Also, as they're cheaper, you'll be able to buy them brand new, in which case they'll be like a new car, take a hit as soon as you drive from the showroom. :)

If it helps, without too much effort I found a 2015 hardly used 32" Browning B525 for just under a grand in August, and I don't think I'd want to spend another monkey as I don't think I could have gotten much better for my needs, so there are bargains out there. 👍

Hello John. 

I'm with the crowd that says find a decent used from the big brands. I was in your situation a little over a year ago my self. I bought ATA SP trap (may 17). Needed tightening up already after 4000 shots approximately. Fortunately I got a good deal when buying it, and when I traded it in for a Miroku the dealer traded it in for 20£ more than I paid👍😁

I'm also in agreement with Finners and Martyn. My take on their comments are this though. If you havent decided on discipline yet (trap type, sporting type og skeet), go shoot a lot of different disciplines to find out where your preference is. And then by a gun that is intended for that preference. (can still shoot other disciplines with that gun) 

Then shoot that some more, with a coach, who can guide you to what dimensions you need in your gun. 

Shoot a lot when you have got the new gun, I mean a lot, as in you have a solid mount/repeatable mount. Then have a fitting session. In my opinion there is no idea having a gun fitted before you have a solid/repeatable mount. The whole gunfiting thing can be helped to a certain degree with an adjustable stock. 

Lars. 

Also consider a used Guerini , you should be able to find a very nice Summit for your budget , and there are a few who shoot Caesar Guerini's very well in competition.

Also consider a used Guerini , you should be able to find a very nice Summit for your budget , and there are a few who shoot Caesar Guerini's very well in competition.
Cheers Salopian.

youve got me looking at them, they do look a great gun and review very well, but don’t seem to hold much value longer term??? 🤷‍♂️

Agreed , they don't seem to hold their value , but no one can explain why?

I’d second Salopians suggestion of a Guerini. I’ve been shooting one now for a good 2-3 years and despite liking shiny new things as much as the next man never felt any urge to swap it having been through all the major brands previously.

Ive no idea what they don’t hold their value either but like most guns their major depreciation takes place from new, so if you’re buying used you should get a decent one well within your budget. 

I would also echo the previous comments about buying used from one of the main brands...Beretta, Browning, Miroku, Guerini etc.....I’ve no personal experience of the cheaper brands and I’ve no doubt they are well screwed together but if you pick up a good used ‘branded’ sporter (min 30”) for around £1k you should always be able to get most of your money back when you come to swap it, which you probably will

You should try a few different models if you can, ideally get some good advice on what does and doesn’t fit (close enough will be good enough to start with), trust your instincts on how it feels/balances etc and pick the one that ticks these boxes as well as putting a smile on your face. 

Spend ‘about’ £1k on the gun, get some decent glasses and ear protection, skeet vest, gun & range bag for all your bits and bobs - anything left over get a stater lesson with a decent coach to set you out on the right path with some basics...get these right, you’ll hit a few targets and enjoy all your investment 

Cheers Iggy and everyone for the advice, hugely appreciated. 

I tried a Beretta 686 onyx this morning, shot 39 out of 60 with it, which I’m over the moon with. It’s for sale but I think it’s over priced at £1200, when new is around £1350/1400? Seemed to fit me well enough and it must have done something rIgnt to get that score (previous best was 27, using a DT11)

ive got the glasses, ear defenders, vest etc already (been buying bits whilst waiting for my licence), just need the gun now (and licence obviously).

Ah, sorry, one I saw must have gone. Pretty sure it was a white onyx so has a lot less fancy engraving, which in turn makes it slightly cheaper. Odd, since I much prefer the almost bare metalwork on a b725 and would have loved to have something that straightforward on my 525, especially if it saved a few quid.

Just visited their website. Looks stunning, and I’m sure isn’t cheap!! Couldn’t see any prices for shooting there? Very nice though 👍
About £53 for 100 caddied round. Cheaper opportunities in the summer early eve. Also, Monday mornings there is a “roll up” for £40. No booking. The registered sporting shoot is every first Thursday for £34.50. Also, registered Sportrap for £34.50 every third Thursday per month. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back