Beretta DT10 Query

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilR

Can any past or present DT10 owners give me a heads up on any specific problems to look out for with them. The one I'm looking at has an AG serial number and was imported by GMK in 2008.

I'm very familiar with Perazzi detachable triggers and the V main spring replacement, are the DT10 V main springs as simple to replace?

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi PhilR .had mine about a year now. Only problem I've had is trigger lag on 2nd shot now and then . I took it apart gave it a good clean and tightened up the stock bolt . Also make sure the safety will move up so you can see the white dot ( lot of spray) or you'll have trouble getting trigger out and back in. hope this is helpfull.

I had mine for quite a number of years, I bought it 2nd hand in 2006 and one point it was shooting 200 clays a week and my main gun until 2015.

I never had it ‘serviced’ but I did clean and oil after every shoot.

Problems I encountered were ejector timing twice and one new bigger size locking bar as the leaver had moved over to central. As I am a cheapskate I entered the Beretta world and got that fixed for the cost of parts at the free gunsmith stand they have there.🙄

The finish also started to flake near the safety catch, unsightly but no detriment to shooting.

As for replacing the springs no idea as mine never failed but dropping the trigger group takes seconds and no tools.

The DT 10 triggers are very robust and unlikely to break springs. If one does go it's a gunsmith job. 

Unlike a perazzi where springs can be chznged in seconds,  the advantage of it being a drop out unit against a fixed unit only really works if There's a back up unit to hand. 

I was advised to watch out for the cross bolt it should be sticking out a bit from the action, if it is flush then the gun has seen a fair bit of action. Fantastic guns I have the trap and sporting versions and the great thing about them is that even after years of use if there is any wear they can be rebuilt.

Never heard of a V spring going on one.

Also advised to avoid the early guns with the lower case Beretta on the side and go for the ones with capitals BERETTA as by this time double discharge problems of a few early ones had been sorted out. 2008 should be fine in this respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was advised to watch out for the cross bolt it should be sticking out a bit from the action, if it is flush then the gun has seen a fair bit of action. Fantastic guns I have the trap and sporting versions and the great thing about them is that even after years of use if there is any wear they can be rebuilt.

Never heard of a V spring going on one.

Also advised to avoid the early guns with the lower case Beretta on the side and go for the ones with capitals BERETTA as by this time double discharge problems of a few early ones had been sorted out. 2008 should be fine in this respect.
This is also what I have seen time and again especially on American web sites who tend to know what they're talking about. I have seen thousands of DT's in use and have never come across someone who either broke or spoke of having broken their spring. I once watched a mate change his Perazzi V spring in the shooting stand, his first attempt resulted in anther broken one  😁  but luckily he carried two ! 

There are lots of used DT10's on sale but many will reveal signs of heavy use if you know what to look for which can include the state of the grip, stippling and even the butt pad but good ones are out there. I have one that's prolly yet to shoot its first 10/15 thou. 

I've got one in the back of the cabinet. Used it exclusively for a couple of years before I moved on to a K80 Parcours.  It's one with the lower case lettering.  No issues with double discharging, but it did used to pop open by itself on the second shot occassionally.  Had the locking bar replaced and problem solved.  They are lovely guns and if I hadn't been enticed away by a German I'd still be using mine.

Mine was bought second hand but hardly used.  I did have an issue with double discharge at the beginning but it was an easy fix and touch wood has not returned.  Great gun I think.

I have seen thousands of DT's in use and have never come across someone who either broke or spoke of having broken their spring. I once watched a mate change his Perazzi V spring in the shooting stand, his first attempt resulted in anther broken one  😁  but luckily he carried two ! 
Unlike you Hammy I have seen a DT break a spring and the guy had to walk away half way through a round in a comp.

The bit in bold... if you are an idiot don't try to fix things... correction even an idiot could replace a Perazzi hammer spring, it is that easy. Now as to carrying two sets of hammer springs??? I have been using my gun for five years now. I bought it secondhand and after a year it broke a spring I have no idea how old that spring was or how many shells it had fired... it could have been original to the gun I do not know. Anyway I replaced both springs from my spares kit and sent off for a new set from Gulliani (€75 the pair delivered) because you do need a spare set you just cannot tell when a spring will break... that was four years and about 30k shells ago.

Hammy I am guessing that your mate now carries THREE extra sets now after his experience... I mean he could have F'd up two springs... if fact where could it end?? Four sets.....

I know this thread is not about owning and using a Perazzi competition shotgun BUT as an owner my advice is this there is little or nothing that can actually go wrong with this type of gun other than a hammer spring breaking... learn how to replace the springs. It takes less than two minutes when you know what you are doing, carry a set of spares. Always replace both if one breaks. Now, if you prefer, you can have coils springs fitted... even retrospectively if the simple act of removing the trigger and changing a spring is beyond your skill set.

As a final comment I watched a guy having spring issues with his Perazzi about two months ago... he pulls out another trigger unit and pops it in and carries on... yes it was quicker BUT I am willing to bet that is the first time he had ever done that in a competition... what a nutter neigh on a grand for a trigger when he would have had plenty of time to fit a spring costing €40.... more money than sense. See below

Hammy I am guessing that your mate now carries THREE extra sets now after his experience... I mean he could have F'd up two springs... if fact where could it end?? Four sets.....
He's in the trade so presumably he can get his hands on odds and sods and had two with him, kinda makes sense as there are two V springs. Done calmly and preferably indoors on a table I am sure he'd have got the job done correctly first time but trying to do it quickly so as not to hold us all up he must have pushed a bit too hard. 

I’ve got some brand new v springs for DT11 (same as DT10 I think) if anybody wants a bargain.. they are very pricey new.

He's in the trade so presumably he can get his hands on odds and sods and had two with him, kinda makes sense as there are two V springs. Done calmly and preferably indoors on a table I am sure he'd have got the job done correctly first time but trying to do it quickly so as not to hold us all up he must have pushed a bit too hard. 
Well just to let him know as he should there are two springs BUT they are both different so he was very lucky he had A the right spring and B he had two of them awesome as they say in America :)   Never try to rush the job you have plenty of time to change a spring ... at least in trap where equipment malfunctions can be rectified within a time limit. 

I was in my gunsmiths today and we got talking about DT10 and Perazzi V springs. He showed me the two side by side as a comparison - the DT 10 is much thicker and heavier than the Perazzi, presumably why they an last longer. However he did say to replace a DT10 is not a simple job even for a gunsmith whereas as has been explained the Perazzi is.

He also mentioned that if you get one go on a Perazzi both should be replaced otherwise there is a double discharge potential.

He also mentioned that if you get one go on a Perazzi both should be replaced otherwise there is a double discharge potential.
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  I would be totally fascinated to be enlightened as to how that would be perceived as possible.  Frightening to think what the possible consequences might be if only one firing pin is replaced!  Do the ejectors malfunction?

OTOH you all will notice that John has once again managed to shift the discussion to HIS Perazzi.  IIRC he was in need of some considerable reassurance in his decision at the time of purchase.  And now he has become a proper Disciple, traveling from village to village spreading the word as it were!  That is, of course, highly commendable and I'm sure deserving of some substantial karmic points for the ongoing Good Deed.

And those look to be some painfully well bitten nails in that video.  

:thumbsu:

8 hours ago, jwpzx9r said:

Unlike you Hammy I have seen a DT break a spring and the guy had to walk away half way through a round in a comp.

The bit in bold... if you are an idiot don't try to fix things... correction even an idiot could replace a Perazzi hammer spring, it is that easy. Now as to carrying two sets of hammer springs??? I have been using my gun for five years now. I bought it secondhand and after a year it broke a spring I have no idea how old that spring was or how many shells it had fired... it could have been original to the gun I do not know. Anyway I replaced both springs from my spares kit and sent off for a new set from Gulliani (€75 the pair delivered) because you do need a spare set you just cannot tell when a spring will break... that was four years and about 30k shells ago.

I know this thread is not about owning and using a Perazzi competition shotgun BUT as an owner my advice is this there is little or nothing that can actually go wrong with this type of gun other than a hammer spring breaking... learn how to replace the springs. It takes less than two minutes when you know what you are doing, carry a set of spares. Always replace both if one breaks. Now, if you prefer, you can have coils springs fitted... even retrospectively if the simple act of removing the trigger and changing a spring is beyond your skill set.

As a final comment I watched a guy having spring issues with his Perazzi about two months ago... he pulls out another trigger unit and pops it in and carries on... yes it was quicker BUT I am willing to bet that is the first time he had ever done that in a competition... what a nutter neigh on a grand for a trigger when he would have had plenty of time to fit a spring costing €40.... more money than sense. See below

Yawn.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  I would be totally fascinated to be enlightened as to how that would be perceived as possible.  Frightening to think what the possible consequences might be if only one firing pin is replaced!  Do the ejectors malfunction?

OTOH you all will notice that John has once again managed to shift the discussion to HIS Perazzi.  IIRC he was in need of some considerable reassurance in his decision at the time of purchase.  And now he has become a proper Disciple, traveling from village to village spreading the word as it were!  That is, of course, highly commendable and I'm sure deserving of some substantial karmic points for the ongoing Good Deed.

And those look to be some painfully well bitten nails in that video.  

:thumbsu:
Only repeating what a gunsmith of 40 years experience and in particular on Perazzis told me!

Well yes sorry Phil it is a yawn... but any more so than this old chestnut ?

"I have seen thousands of DT's in use and have never come across someone who either broke or spoke of having broken their spring. I once watched a mate change his Perazzi V spring in the shooting stand, his first attempt resulted in anther broken one  😁  but luckily he carried two ! "

I am informing you contrary to what you have been told ... they do on occasion break springs AND they guy I know who broke one had several weeks to get his gun back from the smith. As to the spring change you know Perazzi's and you no BS when you read it... yes lucky he carried two spares and lucky the were both for the correct barrel.......

Well yes sorry Phil it is a yawn... but any more so than this old chestnut ?

"I have seen thousands of DT's in use and have never come across someone who either broke or spoke of having broken their spring. I once watched a mate change his Perazzi V spring in the shooting stand, his first attempt resulted in anther broken one  😁  but luckily he carried two ! "

I am informing you contrary to what you have been told ... they do on occasion break springs AND they guy I know who broke one had several weeks to get his gun back from the smith. As to the spring change you know Perazzi's and you no BS when you read it... yes lucky he carried two spares and lucky the were both for the correct barrel.......
That's no old chestnut, it is absolutely 100% true fact, the guy is called Scott Collett and he works at Greenfields, he changed (and broke) the spring while I watched, for all I know he owns and carries 4 springs ! The other FACT is that as a rule DT10's don't let go of their V springs, I didn't say they never do nor did I say Perazzi did or didn't although I would place a large bet that as a rule they break more often than their Beretta counterparts. 

I was in my gunsmiths today and we got talking about DT10 and Perazzi V springs. He showed me the two side by side as a comparison - the DT 10 is much thicker and heavier than the Perazzi, presumably why they an last longer. However he did say to replace a DT10 is not a simple job even for a gunsmith whereas as has been explained the Perazzi is.

Could it be that since the other V spring (almost certainly will be) several years old then it's wise to make sure both springs have a similar "boing" value, makes sense to me as they advise the same when cars shock absorbers fail. 

Latest posts

Back