First gun (well not really)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coriolis

So very new to clay shooting having had FAC and SG tickets for years. I have done a few day shoots but never really took to shotguns. I now have got very into the sport and my chum is getting bored of me using (and beating him) his Miroku so need to get myself my own. Being a cheapskate I have decided I will start with a low budget Browning or Miroku as they fit me rather than Beretta. I am looking at a second hand 525  that is perfect or an older Ultra for a little  more than half the price both are a good fit, but the Ultra I think has fixed chokes at 1/4 and 3/4. I will be mainly sporting clay shooting, but with a bit of skeet etc for fun. I intend this purchase to be to get me up and running and lead to something nicer in the future.

So, is a fixed choke gun a wise decision??

Used 325, 425 or 525 30" M/C Browning OR Miroku 7000, MK38 or a 3800 Trap that has already had Teague chokes fitted. The advantage of the multi chokes makes the gun more of an 'all rounder' (if there is such a thing) but it WILL save the "should I, shouldn't I"  at a later date when you start wondering about opening up the fixed chokes.  (AND you WILL !).

My first gun was a Miroku with fixed chokes. Still got it and still love shooting it over 3 yrs later.  But.... I now also have a B725 multi choke for the flexibility of choosing which chokes to use depending on discipline and the particular course I am shooting. 

So I would recommend a multi choke and the put in your choice of chokes and then don't fiddle with them. There are a huge numbe of threads about choke choice, just keep it simple, you could start with the same choke choice as you chum as you have had success with his/her choice of choke.

Back