Going away effing rabbits....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggy

...would someone enlighten me as to how to hit the bloody things please 🙂

Generally speaking I’m ok with rabbits at most distances, even if they’re a bit bouncy....but going straight away or slightly quartering is totally beyond me. 

Thanks all 👍

Consentrate on line attack and shoot them as quick as you can to avoid the temptation to rifle shoot ?

How far are we talking, unless it's 35+ yards (unlikely if they're thrown as quartering or full blown going aways) then quarter choke and 8's will pulverise them. It's VERY hard not to overlead quartering rabbits and at times I've found it necessary to squeeze the trigger before fully catching up with the clay (finding them vanish in a ball of dust can be quite surreal).

True aways are more often than not missed over the top particularly if you take them early, best results tend to come from letting them play out and shooting at the bottom half, you need to hold the gun out a tad to avoid shooting too fast. 

If and when you come up against and edge on rabbit at good distance then it pays to use bigger shot with tight chokes. 

I'd agree with hamster, nearly  always missed  in front (over the top)  and it's very hard to stop yourself doing it.  You really have to tell yourself  slow gun and shoot at it   (don't block it out with the barrels ) shoot when you can still see the clay  above the barrels 

Cheers guys, that’s probably it then....I felt like I maybe had a bit too much gun speed so would have been over the top....

Will try shoot just behind/below but that will feel odd!

Sometimes all you need to do is ambush it. If the angle is very shallow or straight, hang the gun at a spot on its path and pull the trigger just as it reaches the gun, the pattern and a bit of flinch takes care of the rest. Quartering rabbits i shoot nearly straight at but with good gun speed and i usually see lead on any flying clay. Ant rabbits i miss i'm usually in front.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely easy to miss over the top.  No lead needed, just shoot them up the backside.  A while ago Ed S got me to shoot with a noticeable gap underneath, just to demonstrate that they would still break with the top of the pattern hitting them.  

Some excellent advice for you to ponder, BUT if all else fails........................................buy a Lurcher  !!

How many Women have problems with Rabbits? 😃

Here's a tip .

Wire them up to a Scalextric transformer , beats Duracell batteries.

Latest posts

Back