Shooting without sgc

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kr55tan

Hi I'm currently in the process of applying for my sgc I'm just wondering if there is any other grounds other than humberside shooting ground where I can go hire a gun and practice without being accompanied by someone with a sgc

thanks

Hi I'm currently in the process of applying for my sgc I'm just wondering if there is any other grounds other than humberside shooting ground where I can go hire a gun and practice without being accompanied by someone with a sgc

thanks
I've answered this once, I aint doin it again  !    :D

thanks
In terms of a two part answer, firstly, I'd be surprised if anywhere that has hire guns on site wouldn't allow you to shoot as long as you took one of their caddy guys round with you, secondly, yes there almost definitely will be places, you just have to ask around locally and possibly look for the smaller grounds in particular; I went to a small shoot last month, only on every first sunday, on private fields but open to allcomers, and my mate was allowed to shoot simply because I had a licence. The guy running it had it all covered on his public liability, but lord knows the ins & outs of that. Didn't ask, just shot! 😄

In terms of a two part answer, firstly, I'd be surprised if anywhere that has hire guns on site wouldn't allow you to shoot as long as you took one of their caddy guys round with you, secondly, yes there almost definitely will be places, you just have to ask around locally and possibly look for the smaller grounds in particular; I went to a small shoot last month, only on every first sunday, on private fields but open to allcomers, and my mate was allowed to shoot simply because I had a licence. The guy running it had it all covered on his public liability, but lord knows the ins & outs of that. Didn't ask, just shot! 😄
"where I can go hire a gun and practice without being accompanied by someone with a sgc"

Why because you cannot be in possession of a shotgun without a licence or your being supervised by somebody with a licence.

IMG_0094.PNG

IMG_0095.PNG

Someone must have there wires crossed or someone is breaking the law

View attachment 7291

View attachment 7292

Someone must have there wires crossed or someone is breaking the law
i would read that as while you are having lessons,they will allow you to purchase the gun but is unlikely you will be  allowed to use it unsupervised though the law does not seem to excude it they would be responsible.

Section 11(6) of the Firearms Act 1968 states:

A person may, without holding a shotgun certificate, use a shotgun at a time and place approved for shooting at artificial targets by the Chief Officer of police for the area in which that place is situated.

• the organiser of any clay pigeon shoot at which persons who do not hold a shotgun certificate wish to shoot must apply to the Chief Officer for the area in which the shoot is to take place for an exemption under section 11(6) of the 1968 Firearms Act
  • this allows non-certificate holders to possess shotguns at a time and place approved by the Chief Officer for shooting at artificial targets which normally, though not exclusively, includes clay pigeons
  • this exemption applies ONLY to shotguns falling under Section 2 of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended)
  • any person, under 15 years of age, using a shotgun must be supervised by an adult (over 21yrs). (Firearms Act 1968, Section 22(3))
  • prohibited persons as defined by Section 21 of the Firearms Act 1968 (If known) must not be permitted to be in possession of guns or ammunition
  • the owners of any shotguns used on the site are reminded that the security of those guns remains solely their responsibility

They must know the law surely as I've been twice in the last month and I've not been accompanied by anyone 🙈 It's all a little confusing I'll be happy when my sgc is here then it won't matter

They must know the law surely as I've been twice in the last month and I've not been accompanied by anyone 🙈 It's all a little confusing I'll be happy when my sgc is here then it won't matter
I do not know of a ground that would allow it and no disrespect to yourself i would not want to be around people that don't have one and are unsupervised.

I am often aghast at the behaviour of some that have had them for years!

I read the message as you can shoot without licence but as a have a go or lesson.  If you were allowed to go off on your own just makes a mockery of having to have a licence surely.  They don’t know anything about you (not you particularly of course - anyone) no police checks nothing.

I read the message as you can shoot without licence but as a have a go or lesson.  If you were allowed to go off on your own just makes a mockery of having to have a licence surely.  They don’t know anything about you (not you particularly of course - anyone) no police checks nothing.
Thats how i read it also Sian

BUT, that is the Law.  IF the ground has an exemption order, there is nothing to say it HAS to be a lesson or shooting under instruction. As long as they have taken all reasonable precautions regarding a 'Prohibited Person' having access to a gun, (usually signing in with Name and address, and in my case, asking for photographic proof, Driving Licence etc.), then technically they can go ahead and shoot. ALL of the grounds where I have worked and the ground that I ran, would NEVER allow someone that we did not know, have unsupervised access to a gun. With Shotgun Certificates (and renewals) taking longer and longer to process, I suspect more grounds will be offering a 'Come and shoot here' policy, especially if they have a shop on the ground.  The Customer could buy his/her new gun and leave it at the ground for their own use, as and when. 

PS

I have known of people who have had their certificate revoked, transferred their guns to a 'Mate', who then produces the said gun at the local clay ground, then off they go enjoying their shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
"where I can go hire a gun and practice without being accompanied by someone with a sgc"
Apologies to the OP, didn't read the hire bit. 😊

BUT, that is the Law.  IF the ground has an exemption order, there is nothing to say it HAS to be a lesson or shooting under instruction. As long as they have taken all reasonable precautions regarding a 'Prohibited Person' having access to a gun, (usually signing in with Name and address, and in my case, asking for photographic proof, Driving Licence etc.), then technically they can go ahead and shoot. ALL of the grounds where I have worked and the ground that I ran, would NEVER allow someone that we did not know, have unsupervised access to a gun. With Shotgun Certificates (and renewals) taking longer and longer to process, I suspect more grounds will be offering a 'Come and shoot here' policy, especially if they have a shop on the ground.  The Customer could buy his/her new gun and leave it at the ground for their own use, as and when. 

PS

I have known of people who have had their certificate revoked, transferred their guns to a 'Mate', who then produces the said gun at the local clay ground, then off they go enjoying their shoot.
I am not arguing with you, I know myself it happens just find it staggering that the law states you take reasonable precautions which amount to someone saying they aren’t prohibited and giving some form of ID which even psychos have.  Once an accident or deliberate action occurs it’s far too late. Just my thoughts.

Latest posts

Back