Hi from Gloucestershire

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coriolis

Hello all. Having been a keen rifle shooter for years, I have recently decided  would rather shoot clays. I have had a hands on try a few days ago and definitely have the bug. I dropped into a local shop and handled a few guns I decided that a 725 Pro Sport felt right as soon as I picked it up, I was expecting the Blaser F16 would be my choice, but seemed too small. Initially I will be looking at Sporting clays and Skeet. My first attempt at Skeet was atrocious, but I really enjoyed it.

Seems a bit strange that you can buy one hell of a good rifle for £1000 but shotguns seem to be far more expensive. Second hand values seem to hold better though.

I also am going to reload as I really enjoy reloading for CF and getting results from home loads is extremely satisfying.  

Hello all. Having been a keen rifle shooter for years, I have recently decided  would rather shoot clays. I have had a hands on try a few days ago and definitely have the bug. I dropped into a local shop and handled a few guns I decided that a 725 Pro Sport felt right as soon as I picked it up, I was expecting the Blaser F16 would be my choice, but seemed too small. Initially I will be looking at Sporting clays and Skeet. My first attempt at Skeet was atrocious, but I really enjoyed it.

Seems a bit strange that you can buy one hell of a good rifle for £1000 but shotguns seem to be far more expensive. Second hand values seem to hold better though.

I also am going to reload as I really enjoy reloading for CF and getting results from home loads is extremely satisfying.  
Welcome and enjoy.  Just in case you are not aware home loads cannot be used at clay grounds, any that I have been too.

Welcome and enjoy.  Just in case you are not aware home loads cannot be used at clay grounds, any that I have been too.
Incorrect i’m afraid. A great many skeet shooters use home loads, especially for the smaller gauges. In fact I shot a registered skeet a couple of weeks ago and was probably the only one there using factory shells.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum

I reinforce what Sian said and would point out that Though Jan may be partially right in that ISSF skeet may allow them this is about 0.001% of the shooting population,they are not allowed for other disciplines,by other organisations and most shooting grounds.

Welcome to the forum

I reinforce what Sian said and would point out that Though Jan may be partially right in that ISSF skeet may allow them this is about 0.001% of the shooting population,they are not allowed for other disciplines,by other organisations and most shooting grounds.
No, the ISSF doesn’t allow them but NSSA does as do many grounds. Although I don’t use them i’ve never seen a skeet ground impose any home load restrictions for non registered shooting. In fact, you’d be surprised how many do load at home.

Coriolis, feel free to use your own cartridges where the rules allow and welcome to the sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Incorrect i’m afraid. A great many skeet shooters use home loads, especially for the smaller gauges. In fact I shot a registered skeet a couple of weeks ago and was probably the only one there using factory shells.
Well I have shot a lot of grounds around the Uk for the "sporting" disciplines and practise for the rest and none of them allow home loads but I did state "any that I have been to".  

No, the ISSF doesn’t allow them but NSSA does as do many grounds. Although I don’t use them i’ve never seen a skeet ground impose any home load restrictions for non registered shooting. In fact, you’d be surprised how many do load at home.

Coriolis, feel free to use your own cartridges where the rules allow and welcome to the sport.
Ok..0.0001 % of the shooting population then..if you shoot any FITASC,CPSA,BICTSF,ICTSF,FEDECAT,etc competitions you will not be allowed to use homeloads a few grounds may allow for practice but more probably they just don't know it is happening or turn a blind eye.

The main reason for this is that with standard shells in a restricted shot size usually to 6.5 they have an idea of shot fall and noise.

"Coriolis, feel free to use your own cartridges where the rules allow" the point being made is that this is almost never.

Also you will find that almost nowhere allows steel shot but i am sure Jan can come up with tiny fraction of grounds in the UK that do!

Latest posts

Back