Kick eez

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEABAG

Just had a Kick eez fitted to my gun, but find it snags easily due to being rough surfaced.

Is there a way to create a "shiny" smooth surface.

I do not have access to belt grinders.

Easy but not very estheticly pleasing. Tape, either the electrical type, of the clear packaging type. 

Lars

There is  (or used to be ) a product called “ Slick -eez recoil pad treatment specially for the job . Paint on the sides to give a glossy/ slippy finish . I had it on my K80 for donkeys years . Having  replaced that pad and putting one on my MK38 , I’ve just left them as is , and to be honest I’m not noticing a problem . The product eventually crazed like porcelain after many years , but by that time the pad was starting to suffer compression set anyway . 

I believe that the 'Slick-Eeze'  pad treatment consisted of a nail hardening clear varnish. I used 'Hard as Nails' by Sally Hansen or someone (I think her Husband, Hally, makes walking coats !) on the Kick Eeze that I had many years ago. Yes, it does crack and craze after time, but it is a simple job to clean the face with acetone and re apply.

Gunsmith that fitted mine a while ago said to use nail varnish hardener just at the bottom to stop snagging never tried it as I didn’t have an issue but sounded a good idea.👍

I believe that the 'Slick-Eeze'  pad treatment consisted of a nail hardening clear varnish. I used 'Hard as Nails' by Sally Hansen or someone (I think her Husband, Hally, makes walking coats !) on the Kick Eeze that I had many years ago. Yes, it does crack and craze after time, but it is a simple job to clean the face with acetone and re apply.
Sally Hanson , the Fly Tyer’s friend ! 

Funny isn’t it, I always thought the only good thing about a kick eez was the grippy element. Now I use Isis green pads (far better recoil absorbing characteristic) but they have to have a grippy patch stuck to them..

Funny isn’t it, I always thought the only good thing about a kick eez was the grippy element. Now I use Isis green pads (far better recoil absorbing characteristic) but they have to have a grippy patch stuck to them..
Ideal if you shoot gun up, but I shoot gun down, and find the snagging a problem with the rippled surface.

Ideal if you shoot gun up, but I shoot gun down, and find the snagging a problem with the rippled surface.
Sure, but a good pad for you would have a slippery top (heel) but then afford overall grip once shouldered. (A K80 pad is good like this). Shooting high driven etc can cause the gun to slip for me sometimes if I’m not getting grip. 

That’s why Kickeeze make a sporting pad with a smooth chamfer on the top .

Personally I’ve recentlu had two-new  general purpose pads fitted without the smooth bit , and I don’t have any issue shooting gun down , but then it’s all down to personal style , clothing etc . 

.  You could also try polishing the pad with Armoral from Halfords , it slicks most synthetics up but isn’t permanant . 

Gunsmith that fitted mine a while ago said to use nail varnish hardener just at the bottom to stop snagging never tried it as I didn’t have an issue but sounded a good idea.👍
I have used it on my recoil pads, I have 2 bottles on my fly tying bench, BUT, I have yet to try it on my bottom  !

Would it make me a 'Smart A**E'  ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used it on my recoil pads, I have 2 bottles on my fly tying bench, BUT, I have yet to try it on my bottom  !
I am sure your boyfriend will give it a go now that you have mentioned it !

Sure, but a good pad for you would have a slippery top (heel) but then afford overall grip once shouldered. (A K80 pad is good like this). Shooting high driven etc can cause the gun to slip for me sometimes if I’m not getting grip. 
Note what you say, but the pad fitted is very thin, (12mm), as I found the stock too long for me. With this pad there is little scope for a heel

There is an abundance of pads available in various widths incorporating a hard plastic heel insert . GMK (Beretta ), John Rothery Wholesale ( Bisley), can possibly supply . Try a decent Gunshop for selection.

my two penn'orth, is the problem not with the pad but the fact that the stock is still too long for you and that's why its snagging

I bought a new gun with a Kick Eez and had the same problem. Mate told me to shoot it and it will bed in and develop a sheen of its own.

It has and is now perfect.

Give it a few months before making a decision.

Back