Shooting without insurance

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartynB

Does anybody know what the actual position is  regarding shooting at a clay ground if the shooter does not have any insurance in place . I only know of one ground that even asks if I have a SGC as I book on . I have never been asked to provide proof of insurance ( BASC in my case ) . I

Last edited by a moderator:
Grounds carry there own insurance to cover them in any incidents that causes a claim against them,what your insurance does is insure you against being bankrupted by another insurance companies claim against you being at fault.

Interestingly enough , many people giving instruction at shooting grounds or on Game days do NOT have insurance .

It is only a matter of time before an accident happens and all hell breaks loose.

As a loader , stuffer or instructor are you insured for third party and public liability?

Bisley Sporting Targets and AGL ask to see SG. And proof of insurance  - shooting schools that have instructors or caddies with you (WLSS EJC, RBSS etc) don’t need to bother - can’t remember what Coleys do 

my household policy provides public liability as does CA and BASC - dropped BASC. Due to the duplication But have it again as it’s not just about the cover and felt should support the organisation - someone on here made that point a while back 

agreed loaders should really have cover - not sure all do 

Bisley Sporting Targets and AGL ask to see SG. And proof of insurance  - shooting schools that have instructors or caddies with you (WLSS EJC, RBSS etc) don’t need to bother - can’t remember what Coleys do 

my household policy provides public liability as does CA and BASC - dropped BASC. Due to the duplication But have it again as it’s not just about the cover and felt should support the organisation - someone on here made that point a while back 

agreed loaders should really have cover - not sure all do 
In my experience, AGL do not ask to see a SGC. 

They did and kept it behind the counter - I know as I drove off without collecting on one occasion 

It would be difficult to see how Loaders need PL?

On the original point if you choose not to have insurance it won’t stop you being liable.  A grounds insurance covers their negligence, not yours..

It would be difficult to see how Loaders need PL?

On the original point if you choose not to have insurance it won’t stop you being liable.  A grounds insurance covers their negligence, not yours..
If a gun goes off while it is in the hands of the loader, liability lands with the loader. Numerous senarios that could end very badly for the shooter or people around them.

Interestingly enough , many people giving instruction at shooting grounds or on Game days do NOT have insurance .

It is only a matter of time before an accident happens and all hell breaks loose.

As a loader , stuffer or instructor are you insured for third party and public liability?
The CPSA cover their Instructors through the Membership system.

If a gun goes off while it is in the hands of the loader, liability lands with the loader. Numerous senarios that could end very badly for the shooter or people around them.
Good point, although I’d hope that they knew what they were doing and had safety on and fingers away from triggers...

Reading some of the replies on here , it seems we have a two way street .

Those who think we should have insurance , and those who believe it is not necessary and blame or rely on someone else's insurance cover.

May I ask the question please?

Is insurance cover just a waste of money and we should rely upon House Insurance , BASC or CPSA to cover us against a claim for an accident that we possibly may have caused whilst employed in the business of shooting sports.?

The reason I asked the question was this : recently a  few of us have  taken a “non shooting friend “  to a couple of clay grounds to introduce him to the sport .  We have supervised him and given him enough rudimentary instruction to break a few targets .  I’d mentioned that he was shooting uninsured , but he said surely the grounds had insurance to covered him . Given the consensus above I’m going with the fact he isn’t specifically insured . 

The reason I asked the question was this : recently s few of us have , by request taken a “non shooting friend “  to a couple of clay grounds to introduce him to the sport .  We have supervised him and given him enough rudimentary instruction to break a few targets .  I’d mentioned that he was shooting uninsured , but he said surely the grounds had insurance to covered him . Given the consensus above I’m going with the fact he isn’t specifically insured . 
Almost certain hes not covered, most grounds openly display who is / who isnt insured, often this is detetmined by holding of a SGC, at the grounds Ive been to non SGC holders are only covered by the grounds insurance if they are under instruction - coaching by said grounds staff

Grounds carry there own insurance to cover them in any incidents that causes a claim against them,what your insurance does is insure you against being bankrupted by another insurance companies claim against you being at fault.
CPSA grounds will have this sort of cover as its part of their contract. Don't assume that others will have it, the cost is substantial. 

At Orston SG they advertise that non SGC holders may only shoot with one of their instructors for insurance purposes.

They do tend to ask if you have a SGC if shooting practise as well.

Back