Performance of 'traditional' vs 'eco' clays?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Luke

Hello,  

I am undertaking some research into clay targets and in particular the performance of ‘traditional’ clay targets (i.e. those based on a mixture of coal tar pitch and limestone) and more modern ‘eco’ alternatives.

I am very interested in the views of clay target shooters as to how the quality of both types of targets compare (e.g. do you tend to get more ‘no birds’ with eco-targets than traditional targets (or vice-versa), and is there a significant difference in how the targets ‘smoke’ when hit, or differences with other aspects of their performance?).  

I thought it would be useful to post on this forum as I have undertaken literature review but there is a lot of conflicting information regarding the quality of the different target types.  Therefore it would be beneficial to have the views of the people on the ground, shooting the targets.

Many thanks and I will very much appreciate any replies received.

Hello,  

I am undertaking some research into clay targets and in particular the performance of ‘traditional’ clay targets (i.e. those based on a mixture of coal tar pitch and limestone) and more modern ‘eco’ alternatives.

I am very interested in the views of clay target shooters as to how the quality of both types of targets compare (e.g. do you tend to get more ‘no birds’ with eco-targets than traditional targets (or vice-versa), and is there a significant difference in how the targets ‘smoke’ when hit, or differences with other aspects of their performance?).  

I thought it would be useful to post on this forum as I have undertaken literature review but there is a lot of conflicting information regarding the quality of the different target types.  Therefore it would be beneficial to have the views of the people on the ground, shooting the targets.

Many thanks and I will very much appreciate any replies received.
In my experience they are harder in general,occasionally at one place i shoot you see the middle punched out of them and the outer ring fly on!

Olympic issf events have to use resin(eco) clays only,so edge on moving fast and only 24grm shells.Eurotarget  seem to be the hardest to break nice and corsevia and vivaz  break really nice and leave a white cloud when smoked,very rewarding to see.I have heard that there is a acidity imbalance where they are used for a long time on the ground but that can be easily addressed.

Olympic issf events have to use resin(eco) clays only,so edge on moving fast and only 24grm shells.Eurotarget  seem to be the hardest to break nice and corsevia and vivaz  break really nice and leave a white cloud when smoked,very rewarding to see.I have heard that there is a acidity imbalance where they are used for a long time on the ground but that can be easily addressed.
Yesterday I shot a pair of fast/high L to R clays and 3 times the first bird vanished into a white vapour the like of which I'd not seen before, even turned round and said something to mates watching, must have been these new clays ?!

Yesterday I shot a pair of fast/high L to R clays and 3 times the first bird vanished into a white vapour the like of which I'd not seen before, even turned round and said something to mates watching, must have been these new clays ?!
Stand 9 at Gatton Bottom?  They had a teal that looked similar when hit at Court Farm the previous week.  Not sure if it was light conditions or what, but it was very satisfying to watch.

Stand 9 at Gatton Bottom?  They had a teal that looked similar when hit at Court Farm the previous week.  Not sure if it was light conditions or what, but it was very satisfying to watch.
I was going to mention about a stand at Court Farm recently.  I watched some “casual” shooter types in front of me and nearly asked if they were using up old game shells, such was the effect on the clay. Then I went in and made even more of a “gas” effect on them. I think it must have been a particular combo of the blue sky and direction of the sunlight. 

I have shot eco clays at Four Counties in the past, which do just disappear when hit well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to mention about a stand at Court Farm recently.  I watched some “casual” shooter types in front of me and nearly asked if they were using up old game shells, such was the effect on the clay. Then I went in and made even more of a “gas” effect on them. I think it must have been a particular combo of the blue sky and direction of the sunlight. 

I have shot eco clays at Four Counties in the past, which do just disappear when hit well. 
I shot most of those on the drop because I was so pissed off with how I was shooting and even out over the tree they seemed to just disappear.

You all must get a new and improved model.  The eco things are generally reviled here in the US last I heard.  But then most "eco" things are in the shooting community since the members are mostly meathead right-wingers still knowing that eco-things are a Communist plot to overthrow the government.

Paul - 

I really don't know the brands.  You might do a search at trapshooters.com  as I sorta recall a number of threads on the topic

Its more likely that its the first time in 20 years that you've centered one, 

Slightly smaller and lighter apparently.
The size difference is inconsequential I'm sure.  The formulation of the target compound must be somewhat different and the euro model would seem far superior by your descriptions of breaks.    

At my meager remaining skill level none of that is really of consequence  :no:

Thanks to everyone who has commented, for your replies and interest. At the moment I am aware my question is very generic (i.e. asking about ‘traditional’ versus ‘eco’ clays) but going forward I may put together an online questionnaire that is more detailed and specific. If this happens, I will provide further information on this forum so that anyone who is interested may participate.

Kind regards

As the 'local' club are about to change to them, I will let you know of any difference,  IF I notice any  !

As the 'local' club are about to change to them, I will let you know of any difference,  IF I notice any  !
You have to hit them first....,so it might take some time to notice any difference !

You have to hit them first....,so it might take some time to notice any difference !
You are probably correct, I bought some cartridges recently that had fallen off the back of a van, a right load of old rubbish  !     :pleasantry:

You are probably correct, I bough some cartridges recently that had fallen off the back of a van, a right load of old rubbish  !     :pleasantry:
I find that funny, a ex-copper receiving stolen goods !...........hope you got a receipt 

Latest posts

Back