Tips for Sportrap

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon1

I've shot a few ESP registered and have entered into a Sportrap registered, any tips for a novice tackling a competition for the first time? Are the targets different from what I've seen at ESP reg? Any help would be appreciated!

Targets will be the same. Crossers,loopers rabbits etc etc. Read the menu board to see what is being presented to you, and look at the targets your fellow competitors are shooting.

And most importantly...... Don’t miss any

Remember you can use both barrels at the single target, so if you miss with the first....give it another.

If you struggle to read simo pairs and working out which to shoot first (can be daunting as a new shooter) it's worth paying attention to the way the person on your right takes the pair (as you're shooting that pair next). Obviously assuming that the way they shoot it is comparable to your style. Don;t try and shoot a target right off the trap arm if you like to ride a target out a bit longer etc

Yep Doug is spot on,15 is a guaranteed minimum, 2 shots at 15 singles plus a few inevitable pairs will get you around 75% without to much trouble.

Read the menu again and again so you don't get caught out going for the wrong thing and remember the buttoner has a lot to deal with so pause between the last shooter and your call.

Another top tip is to shoot in a squad with me. Watch carefully which way round I do the sim pairs; then do the opposite.

As soon as I have shot my single, I then concentrate on my doubles. Once doubles are shot, concentrate on the sim pairs!  Always watch the person shooting to the right of you as said above as that is what you will be shooting on the next stand.

It’s easy to get flustered so maybe before you shoot tell the ref you are new to it, most refs I know will give you a bit of slack.  Don’t be frightened to ask if in doubt and make sure you have enough cartridges in your pouch or Skeet vest.  It’s 25 targets but you can double barrel the singles so in effect need at least 30 cartridges and if you have to go back to your bag half way round you break your concentration.  On the sim pairs if they both look fast/hard go for the one you think you can hit first,  50% is better then nothing!,

Most of all enjoy it, if you shoot it badly first time, don’t give up, it can be addictive and certain grounds put on harder targets then others.

Good luck!

Cheers for the advice, I'll give it a go secure in the knowledge it will be a personal best!

It's the weekend after next, I'll let you know how it goes though!

Don't do as I did on the BO rabbit layout!.................Young Luke Llewellin on Stand 1, me on 5 but moved to 4 as one guy didn't turn up, so we were down to a four man squad which isn't ideal. The lad was fast, too fast. (for me) It spread through the squad and in the blazing sunshine completely messed up my round and I came off exhausted.

Onto layout three and time for a change. I had to shoot at my own pace and slow the squad down. Luke probably didn't like it but my 23 proved it had to be done to get that score on the toughest layout. I liken it to Darts...............pissing off your opponent with pace, be it slow, fast or somewhere in between. I don't think its classed as cheating. :D

You also need a good ref.............. As I walked from 5 back to 1, Luke was already shooting his single on 3 as I passed him. Awful reffing............should of waited for me to enter 1 and announce 'Line Ready'

I love STR but unfortunately some course setters are lazy and don't move the traps from one month to the next, they just tweak the angles if you're lucky!

ATB   jon1

Tips, read the menu card, have often set myself for the wrong 1st target on the report pairs, and with the simos make a decision in which target to take first, on the menu the targets will appear in alphabetical order id D & E, you may be faced with a simo pair where the 2nd lettered target is the more appropriate to take first. Lastly, enjoy

Is it always single, then report pair, then sim pair on each stand? Or can they come in different order?

Latest posts

Back