Standards at shooting grounds

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmokinn

So i went to the British at Oakedge on Saturday on the way in there was a portaloo it was gopping sh*t on the floor and up the side i reported it to CPSA when i signed on but nothing was done.

I used the Oakedge toilets pics below taken 4 hours apart...are there no standards anymore?

IMAG2611[1].jpg

IMAG2637[1].jpg

I think you will find there are standards but often they are very low , depending who is organising.

The toilets adjacent to stand 15 always seemed to be kept very clean, maybe because the battue gave everyone the trots.

The trouble is most shooters are full of sh"t, so no surprise really.

I was the toilet attendant at Wylye for all the time we were there and - no surprises, it was a horrible job. Ladies loos were fine but invariably the gents were as bad if not worse than you can ever imagine. I cant imagine what some peoples houses must look like, I really can't.

Loos need inspecting every hour if they are to be kept clean and tidy and to a standard you would expect in your own home. Some people are animals.

Ian, 

I couldn't agree more , I often wonder how they treat their homes .

If they had an ounce of decency they would just be tidy.

Problem I find with PortaLoos is that they are dropped off the day before an event and picked up the day after the finish , no service contract in place , so for five days it would have been horrendous ?

I was the toilet attendant at Wylye for all the time we were there and - no surprises, it was a horrible job. Ladies loos were fine but invariably the gents were as bad if not worse than you can ever imagine. I cant imagine what some peoples houses must look like, I really can't.

Loos need inspecting every hour if they are to be kept clean and tidy and to a standard you would expect in your own home. Some people are animals.
Pretty bad..........trust me  !   I have spent my entire working life in and out of peoples houses and believe me, some of the things that I have seen, well words can NOT describe.

Just an occupational hazard when you are a cat burglar, I suppose        :angel:  

Certainly NOT what we have come to expect from the 

Clean Portaloo Sanitation Advisers,        is it   ?

It wasn't just the toilets, many shooters thought that it was acceptable to leave their empty cart boxes, slabs etc in the car park for the ground staff to collect. Unbelievable!

Not great for a premier event, but I that seems to be ‘the norm’ for any public toilets nowadays. 

Sad really, you do wonder what some people homes are like. 

Nothing justifies such behaviour but the reason is mainly to do with the size and lack of proper provisions in these places. Even lodges such as Churchill's fail in providing decent sized cubicles, I don't know how the average 6'2" specimen is meant to even turn around in these confined places, notice there is NO bin either, the urinals too are just too close to one another. I'm afraid we just don't respect ourselves enough when it comes to these toilets, I know costs are everything but if you look at the better department stores it becomes clear that providing sensible size toilets coupled to plenty of wash basins with good ergonomics and large bins with lids that open properly etc, etc, can make a huge difference to cleanliness. 

Ergonomics means for instance automatic taps that WORK or at least ones that have extended handles you don't have to grasp or grapple with before they start releasing a trickle of water so close to the basin itself that your hands are going to get dirtier touching the horrid sink ! 

As for Portaloo's 😔   who can deny these are beyond a joke, disgusting for number 1's and horrific to even contemplate for anything else. I'm afraid until we demand more respect for ourselves these scenes will continue. 

It wasn't just the toilets, many shooters thought that it was acceptable to leave their empty cart boxes, slabs etc in the car park for the ground staff to collect. Unbelievable!
I grew up thinking that if any group had respect for the countryside it would be the shooting fraternity yet after almost every reg shoot, I find boxes, wrappers, fag ends and even cartons littering the area around the stand. People will even crush a shell box then wedge it in a tree fork or under a root rather than carry it back or lob it in one of the bins provided. I expect to collect empty shells but cleaning up other people's litter is not what I'm there for. I am though programmed from childhood to always leave the site as I found it, so I always have a scout round to check if some of the more imaginative litterers have carefully stashed their rubbish out of sight.

I realise that toilets at shooting grounds are sometimes "medieval", to quote Hamster from a few months ago, but it seems a proportion of our number have little or no respect for either the facilities or the environment.

Oxfordshire Shooting, its a small ground and not what one could call busy a la EJC, Coleys, Barbury AGL etc however the toilets there are first class in layout, space, finish etc, a far higher standard in a lot of hotels that Ive stayed in 

Oxfordshire Shooting, its a small ground and not what one could call busy a la EJC, Coleys, Barbury AGL etc however the toilets there are first class in layout, space, finish etc, a far higher standard in a lot of hotels that Ive stayed in 
Yes, when I saw the loos, I though that there must have been a mix up from the builders. Some big hotel down the road now has a small shed for its toilet. 

This is the thread I have been waiting for since Shootclay started - the raison d'etre of my forum. 

Well done team!

From a ladies point of view the toilets at Owls Lodge are first class, hand cream, perfumes and all other ladies “stuff” in nice baskets and free to use which is a very nice touch.  Doesn’t cost much but means a lot.  

Most porta loos are gross wherever they are to be honest, even the ladies are not much better than the picture above I’m afraid.  

From a ladies point of view the toilets at Owls Lodge are first class, hand cream, perfumes and all other ladies “stuff” in nice baskets and free to use which is a very nice touch.  Doesn’t cost much but means a lot.  

Most porta loos are gross wherever they are to be honest, even the ladies are not much better than the picture above I’m afraid.  
Well, the one that I had on the drive for 4 weeks most certainly wasn't  !  I will NEVER forget the words of 'wisdom' offered by one of the most greedy shots that I have ever encountered, when I told him that as well as collecting all of his pricked birds I had gathered the dead birds from around his peg, along with his used cartridge cases he replied, "That is what you get paid for ".  I never went back to that shoot at the end of the season, that was after 31 years there.  Oh, AND he drove a German car too   !    :angel:

You would never see anything like this at a golf club and there is no excuse or reason for littering, this does no favours for how the sport is perceived. People complain about the level of professionalism but act no better than badly educated children and it’s saddening. 

Was speaking earlier to a young person who had attended the Reading pop concert,l challenged him on the dreadful mess that had been left by those who attended,His reply was as he  and his girlfriend had paid £600 to attend the organisers  could easily afford to clear up after them .Is this attitude creeping into  Big event clay pigeon shoots?

Latest posts

Back