Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GlawsterOldCodger

British Open 2018

Salopian

Now I don't know if this is factual or not , but yesterday a chap was moaning that Arnie Palmer actually qualified about 34 th in his class on his nominated shoot day , but then qualified somehow or other for the Finals and ended up finishing third , if that is correct then there is something seriously wrong with the system .

So tired of hearing complaints about the event I cannot be bothered to check the above  out , but it just goes to show how discontented we are as a sport.

Credit where credit is due Richard Faulds jumped all the hurdles and came through , but  Nick Beavis  exactly like Richard Bunning a while back came away empty handed.

Sian
1 hour ago, Salopian said:

Now I don't know if this is factual or not , but yesterday a chap was moaning that Arnie Palmer actually qualified about 34 th in his class on his nominated shoot day , but then qualified somehow or other for the Finals and ended up finishing third , if that is correct then there is something seriously wrong with the system .

Arnie came 3rd in Vets so surely he qualified as a Vet to go forward.

Personally I just see these shoots as shoots and nothing more, a day out with the distinct possibility of hard targets.  A day out where you bump into lots of people you like to spend a moment or two with.   I liked the sporting there were one or two I struggled to see but overall I saw most of them and missed a lot of them.  The sportrap have to say I did not enjoy.  I loved the rabbits although I was very unlucky and got at least 20 no birds all to myself on that layout.  The last two layouts I did struggle to see some targets against the background I just did and this always affects my enthusiasm as it is truly frustrating. It may be wrong but I don't care how they qualify to be honest.  I have changed my whole attitude to competition shooting and now with the exception of eye sight tests, I don't let it bother me what I score or where I come.  I have given up on the class thing, I don't have the answer and it's not important anymore.  

r4bob

Hi, Sian, I gave up comp shooting years ago, and since shooting birds only I really enjoy the shooting. After all I am there to enjoy myself.

Sian
25 minutes ago, r4bob said:

Hi, Sian, I gave up comp shooting years ago, and since shooting birds only I really enjoy the shooting. After all I am there to enjoy myself.

I actually still pay the comp bit oddly but I don't stress about the outcome.  It's nice to have a win now and then but I am not chasing it anymore.

tiptop
3 hours ago, Salopian said:

This has happened every year since the qualification thing started.

If they are going to run qualification days then it should be the top 6 guns from each class, each day, go through to the finals, and shoot for the overall title and all class honours. The sub categories should then be decided by the top score for each one over the 5 days. IMO.

P.S. I would still like to see it first past the post though.:smile:

David Turner

i really enjoyed this event I thought that steve put on some good hittable targets in both sporting and sportrap, my only gripes were that I couldn't find anywhere to park where my car wasn't getting hit by falling shot, and oakedge is a lovely piece of ground but why were so many targets affected by the sun?

I would love for there to be another big shoot there next year. 

well done steve

Will Hewland
5 hours ago, David Turner said:

i really enjoyed this event I thought that steve put on some good hittable targets in both sporting and sportrap, my only gripes were that I couldn't find anywhere to park where my car wasn't getting hit by falling shot, and oakedge is a lovely piece of ground but why were so many targets affected by the sun?

I would love for there to be another big shoot there next year. 

well done steve

Let’s be clear. Targets are never affected by the sun; that assumes the sun is at fault. Targets may be thrown into the sun, which is unforgivable..

schmokinn
8 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Let’s be clear. Targets are never affected by the sun; that assumes the sun is at fault. Targets may be thrown into the sun, which is unforgivable..

I believe that some targets have been affected by the sun this year as they melted ;)