Sign in to follow this  
GlawsterOldCodger

British Open 2018

Will Hewland
1 hour ago, Sian said:

Oh dear, I quite like seeing the photos of the shooters and refs.  Leaderboard not important to me as I ain't gonna be a leader ..  Ben is pretty good though at putting up the scores regularly.  PS the dog is gorgeous 😁

If I want to see some people grinning, plus a dog, I’ll go to the pub. This is a major sporting event! 😖

• Haha 1

GlawsterOldCodger
36 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

If I want to see some people grinning, plus a dog, I’ll go to the pub. This is a major sporting event! 😖

Are they grinning🤔 Tbf the hound is more photogenic than most shooters😆, Pub, 🍺🍺thats another expensive 💷💷 hobby you have there William, Im also an inquisitive type, I can await the CPSA late night update,

Clynt
1 hour ago, GlawsterOldCodger said:

Clynt, there is one pre-shoot & its on web, am sure someone more savvy than I can link it, when I saw it there were 1070 comp entries, breakdown & prize list for places, all by class more places in some due to comp numbers in each, as for post shoot not sure if its updated 

not just top 3 in each category  then ?full list in each and every class ????? 

GlawsterOldCodger
23 minutes ago, Clynt said:

not just top 3 in each category  then ?full list in each and every class ????? 

Yes chap it lists all classes & nr of comp entries in each lettererd class, the 1070 generate £10,700 in prize money and it all stays in class, think 1-3 all same amount its different how many places paid out/down to

Oops, my error £2.50 to 1,2 & 3 overall & £7.50 in class and its

AAA- £885, AA- £1298, A- £2580, B- £1973 & C - £1223

• Thanks 1

GT2

Shot it yesterday. Despite a bad score from some poor shooting later on I really enjoyed it.

15 stands of 8 which keeps you moving.

Not a lot of big distance stuff but a lot of tricky/deceptive angles.

Two stands on the big platform were interesting. We had to wait as one chap couldn’t go up due to a fear of heights and then another bloke in the squad played up as he was allowed to shoot it from the ground. I was too busy laughing then shot a 3 on the first (stand 5) up there. Lesson learned!

Managed to straight the next but had two more bad stands of 3 further on which were inexplicable and completely buggered the round, but good fun all the same.

Been doing comps since May, had a good run of mid 80’s in the summer then the wheels have fallen off this month!

Anyway, thought it was well set and testing. Best of luck to those there this week!

Edited by GT2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Iggy

Im fully expecting the Open to be an appropriate challenge, so Ive tweaked my setup.

I can’t see anything specific in the CPSA rule book about this not being allowed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Simbo
4 hours ago, Clynt said:

as entries are full ,one would have thought there would be a breakdown of the cash payouts per class ,and how many places , this really pisses me off with the cpsa never seen a full breakdown of who won what and what for ........................

sporting payout.pdf

BO-STR-2018-Prize-Fund.pdf

Steve Lovatt
17 hours ago, Clynt said:

as entries are full ,one would have thought there would be a breakdown of the cash payouts per class ,and how many places , this really pisses me off with the cpsa never seen a full breakdown of who won what and what for ........................

The breakdown of prize money and places was emailed out to all competitors proir to the event 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

GlawsterOldCodger

Will confirm that there is lots of car parking space, even for us non 4x4 motorists. 

Rupert
5 hours ago, GlawsterOldCodger said:

Will confirm that there is lots of car parking space, even for us non 4x4 motorists. 

Thats grand. 

tiptop
7 hours ago, GlawsterOldCodger said:

Well...What happened then,  or did you just sit in the car park all day.:wink:

GlawsterOldCodger
34 minutes ago, tiptop said:

Well...What happened then,  or did you just sit in the car park all day.:wink:

Not long got home, hit some missed lots, and lots, and lots,

Did struggle with vision & reflexes on a few stands, am putting it down to the drawback of being old, am of the opinion that I left this starting shooting lark to late in the day, about 25+ years too late.

Well done all those that have shot well and all the very best to those still to shoot. Will think twice before one attempts another, despite my intentions to enjoy the day, the ground, weather and company were grand, Im just not getting the 😊 Id hoped for

Will Hewland

Just shot it. I thought it was a great event but of course it was pretty firm so won’t suit everybody. When course setters say it will it’s just marketing bollox. 

I believe these tough events should not be registered, so the worry of damaging your average is eradicated

I can only say how it was for me (I’m a capable but not top level shot with 13 years comp experience). Great bit of ground, great mix of targets. I ruined a card that I would have otherwise been happy with mainly by shooting stand 5 appallingly. Up the big platform, overawed by the view and scale and I overlead both targets, hitting 1/7!  Rest of squad were fine. Just me. Idiot. I also cocked up stand 15. First bird was tough, but second wasn’t and again overlead it. Ended on 94 but shot 13 stands fairly well so can’t really grumble overall.  

schmokinn

I think averages should be banned then we can get back to shooting for enjoyment instead of worrying about losing 0.001 of a percent and crying the shoot was to hard!

You see i may say shoots are hard but i don't GAF about classes and averages :lol:

This is pointed at nobobdy and everybody so anybody please don't play the snowflake and get personally offended.

• Haha 2

chippy

Just back from shooting the sporting. I really enjoyed the round, several targets were made easier by shooting quickly so it suited me.finished on 96 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Iggy

Just got back too, really enjoyed it but finished on a disappointing 84 having missed some really dumb ones that I shouldn’t have. 

Great course, good mix and some big leads needed so I’m not complaining -however Stand 5 totally threw me.....I can be a bit iffy with heights at the best of times but when the rest of my squad headed up I thought I’d ‘man up’ and give it a go. 

All was ok until it was my turn to shoot, but bending forward to shoot the targets really made me feel quite ill...I ended up trying to lean forward and backwards at the same time - consequently I dropped 7 of the 8. 

I do genuinely applaud and appreciate creativity in course setting and on the whole I thought today’s course was fabulous, but not everyone is a fan of heights and I do wonder how ‘inclusive’ that type of stand is based on my own experience.

Having said that I was given the option of shooting Stand 6 from the ground which I did......just should have done that with Stand 5 instead blindly heading up the stairs. 

A great shoot, super reffing, very well and smoothly run (like clockwork) and it’s given me plenty to think about and hopefully work on over the winter 

• Thanks 2

Jonny English

We shot this yesterday and I have many of the sentiments above. I too only shot 1 on stand 5, never got a plan sorted and just went through the motions like a wally instead of forming a plan before hand, but have to applaud Steve for trying something outside the box, it is a championship after all and has entertained and caused discussion.

Excellent ground, superb terrain, well reffed, facilities good, targets I thought were pretty good overall. Was pleased to see some drivens for a change. Everything ran like clockwork and dead on time.

Anything else I would have like to have seen are only small points. Some straw bales or more seating at some of the stands would have been nice, and a bin at each stand in the waiting area to put cartridges boxes and rubbish as you prepare.

Overall i thoroughly enjoyed it and would be pleased to return to oakedge and Steve for a championship again next year.

• Thanks 1

tiptop

Not entered to shoot this, but following on here and FB.

The question is... How can you have stands 5/6 up on a high scaffolding, and then have an option to shoot at ground level, thus having different targets?

Reading between the lines there is an option, but not everyone is aware of this. Some saying if you take the ground level option, then you automatically revert to birds only losing the competition fee. If this is the case how much more shambolic can British shooting become.

• Thanks 2

Hamster
4 minutes ago, tiptop said:

Not entered to shoot this, but following on here and FB.

The question is... How can you have stands 5/6 up on a high scaffolding, and then have an option to shoot at ground level, thus having different targets?

Reading between the lines there is an option, but not everyone is aware of this. Some saying if you take the ground level option, then you automatically revert to birds only losing the competition fee. If this is the case how much more shambolic can British shooting become.

Must say as much as I think the decision to allow "heightist" shooters the option of shooting them from the ground is the right one, it does surely mean that only those who tackle it from the correct spot can have scores count towards qualification..........which in turn means you're testing vertigo.

• Like 2

tiptop
1 minute ago, Hamster said:

Must say as much as I think the decision to allow "heightist" shooters the option of shooting them from the ground is the right one, it does surely mean that only those who tackle it from the correct spot can have scores count towards qualification..........which in turn means you're testing vertigo.

...But how many people new this was going to be in place before they entered. This may well be OK in non registered shoots or opens, but this is the British Open, probably the biggest title shoot in the UK, other than when the Worlds are held here.

British shooting is seriously losing the plot in my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Jonny English

I think there would have been an answer to this to suit everybody.

Put the pool shoot on the scaffold so that it was optional. People would then have the choice to go up there to shoot, people who struggled could have multiple goes to try and master a tricky target presentation. It would then have still been an attraction for the occasion without causing distress and confusion to some.

• Thanks 2

Hamster

Sign at the bottom saying "Free box of Titanium Strike" for successful climbers would have sorted things a treat. 

• Haha 2

tiptop

If this is actually true, then it really is a farce. Going birds only, only takes you out of the cash pot. So someone could actually qualify shooting a different course, or is your entry void?

Iggy

Just in case I didn’t make it clear enough, I’m not in any way ‘bashing’ the shoot...it was one of if not the best I’ve ever participated in and I will definitely be shooting more of Steve’s regular shoots in the future for the superb challenges they offer. 

• Thanks 1