Leveling the game

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarsJ

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen

We had a talk at eh club the other day if we should implement some sort of handicap. This is purely for club based shooting (not competitions). The discipline we are talking about here is Olympic trap (so moderator please feel free to move this to the Trap forum,  but this could be of other disciplines interests also).

We are not that many that shoot OT in the club, and the span of talent range from shooters that always shoot 23+ to people hovering around 13 to 15. Often shooters that are on par will shoot for small money ( we have a coin that roughly equates to 2,5£). But that will only be 1 vs 1. We would like to have the whole line in the pot, but understandebly it is not fun for the beginners and intermediates, they might just as well hand over the money. So we thought of some sort of handicap like golf. But how can we do it practcally. We thought of taking the persons average and subtract it from 25, and then have the number in the bank before first shot. Example 25-16,4, that shooter would have 8,6 targets hit before first shot.(Knowing we are not great scientists, we might just make it 8, so ones average will always be rounded up to the nex whole figure).

Will that be fair, or will it give the lesser average scores a clear advantage to win? No matter what  handicap is, if a participants break 25 he will win, no matter handicaps.

Are there other ways to do this? Better ways?

And just to underline is just for the practice shoots, not competition or the like.

Lars

A proper handicapping system would require and extensive history of each participant's scores.  Not a likely thing to have at hand.  I'd guess that with the history a look at the methods used for golf would be as reasonable a path as any.  Why re-invent the wheel?

Personally I don’t think that I’d go down the handicap route . For a bit of fun , and to give everyone a chance of “ winning “  I’d put a few  flash clays ( or different coloured clays )   in the traps at random .  Everyone pays a little into the pot .  If no flash clays show on the day  or one isn’t broken , the pot accumulates   . If only one is broken in a day the shooter takes the lot , if more than one shooter breaks one , the pot is shared .  It would work on any discipline . and gives everyone a one shot chance . 

Perhaps you could persuade someone to use a semi auto.....................it certainly seems to handicap all of the Trap shooters in this Country, if one is shooting in their line  ???    :angel:

would require and extensive history of each participant's scores.
Not an issue. We actually already know what people’s average is. And yes we don’t want to reinvent the wheel.

I would try and help the others shoot better 
That’s what we do on 2 out of three days a week, 1 day a week is regular series. The other 2 there is a lot of repeats or machines set to train a certain thing.

I’d put a few  flash clays ( or different coloured clays )   in the traps at random .  Everyone pays a little into the pot .  If no flash clays show on the day  or one isn’t broken , the pot accumulates   . If only one is broken in a day the shooter takes the lot , if more than one shooter breaks one , the pot is shared .
Good idea, will suggest that. They actually do it on some of the compaq layouts around here, and if you hit a powder, there is a free drink in the clubhouse.

For a bit of fun , and to give everyone a chance of “ winning “
Exactly what we want to achieve. The fun part. 

The reason for the handicap thing is to get the mind training going also for the beginners, so they get used to the dreaded “ if I hit the next two , I’ll win” and we all know how that ends when that thought creeps in.

appreciate all the inputs, thanks

Lars

Latest posts

Back