Long Range Teal

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod M

Hi All,

After receiving some good advice on a previous target I was struggling with, I thought I'd ask about another.

The target was in the latest layout at AGL so I'm sure (from the 2018 shoots thread) several on here will have shot it. It was a straight up/straight down teal, just at fairly long range. I can't remember the stand number, but it was fairly early on and was the 2nd bird on an O/R pair. I hit it a couple of times by shooting below it as it peaked (so it dropped into the shot), but wanted to ask others how they approached such targets e.g. as I did, shooting on the way up, shoot at the peak just before the clay arrives, etc.

Many Thanks

Rod

Hi All,

After receiving some good advice on a previous target I was struggling with, I thought I'd ask about another.

The target was in the latest layout at AGL so I'm sure (from the 2018 shoots thread) several on here will have shot it. It was a straight up/straight down teal, just at fairly long range. I can't remember the stand number, but it was fairly early on and was the 2nd bird on an O/R pair. I hit it a couple of times by shooting below it as it peaked (so it dropped into the shot), but wanted to ask others how they approached such targets e.g. as I did, shooting on the way up, shoot at the peak just before the clay arrives, etc.

Many Thanks

Rod
It’s all about timing and what you prefer (and find works consistently for you). I let them stop dead, then shoot underneath. The AGL one wasn’t that far out, so I shot a foot under it. Adjust for closer or further. Another advantage of waiting for it to stop is that if it is moving slightly to one side as it falls you can wait just a moment to see which direction and move your shot accordingly 

Thanks Will. As you say, not that tough a target (I simply didn't adjust my shot placement quick enough), but just got me wondering on general approach (especially if I encounter a genuinely long range one). Re-assuring to know I my approach was in line with others, just execution that was lacking (as ever...)

One of the episodes on fieldsports tv that has ben husthwaite on has teal information, look it up.

That particular target was what I would call a hanging crow. The term teal is used widely but a true teal is from a trap positioned some way in front of you, sending a rising away target at somewhere between 45 to 70 degrees. Very different approach to the hanging crow.

Last edited by a moderator:
For that straight up and down one I took it just as it peaked and shot a little below it, dropped the last one (lack of concentration and went under it).  When that isn't working for me on that sort of target I'll take it while it's still moving just before peak, lift gently into it and fire just as the bead brushes the bottom of the target.  Personally I do everything I can to avoid taking one on the drop, as I'm absolutely shocking at dropping targets - I normally massively overdo the lead needed.

For the sort of teal that Will describes, I will always take them while they are still moving.  My hold point reflects the angle and speed to generate the correct gun speed.  Slower or flatter I use a hold point closer to the kill point, steeper and faster it'll be a lower hold point to let me generate a little more gun speed.

Don't take too much notice of me though, I'm a B class bumbler.

Thanks Bebo. I've only been shooting since April, so any advice I can get is really helpful. I usually ask people at the ground or watch others shooting, but went to AGL yesterday in the foul weather, so not many about.

Thanks Bebo. I've only been shooting since April, so any advice I can get is really helpful. I usually ask people at the ground or watch others shooting, but went to AGL yesterday in the foul weather, so not many about.
No worries.  I think it was on Stand 3.  My husband struggled with it and was only able to hit it on the drop.  Each to their own.

Latest posts

Back