selling guns to a dealer

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

I have a couple of guns that I do not use so thought I should get them sold off. I have a couple of options one being taking them to a gun shop to try for a price the other putting them on an internet site to sell them there. Taking them to the dealer would probably be the easy way to go first off BUT the question is... is there a chance of getting price which would be anywhere near the actual worth of the guns ? I know it is just a simple thing to go to the shop and ask but thought I would try to gauge the experience of people who may have done this before, thanks.

You should get offered around 20% less than what they would sell at in a shop roughly, unless they need any work doing.
You will be lucky 20% then another 20% for vat is what i was told when i enquired,i did point out they only pay vat on the profit but that was met with a blank look.

I have put it on Naturabuy here in France for €2000 and debate. Lovely wee gun and as new fired less than 1000 shells prob nearer 500 ! Never going to be used so has to go.DSCN3733.JPGDSCN3734.JPGDSCN3729.JPG

Most gun shops charge around 10%-20% to sell guns worth up to around £5k, they have to pay VAT and corporation tax on the profit, they also have to accept come backs and potential repairs if it's no longer under warranty, would you want to do it for less ? 

Most gun shops charge around 10%-20% to sell guns worth up to around £5k, they have to pay VAT and corporation tax on the profit, they also have to accept come backs and potential repairs if it's no longer under warranty, would you want to do it for less ? 
Fair point Hammy . I really have no idea of the value of the gun but going by what I have seen on the site and condition of the gun I am hoping for not less than €1700 after commission on the internet sale?? It is a Silver 687 Pig III field model. I don't want to be greedy but also want to get a good price

Fair point Hammy . I really have no idea of the value of the gun but going by what I have seen on the site and condition of the gun I am hoping for not less than €1700 after commission on the internet sale?? It is a Silver 687 Pig III field model. I don't want to be greedy but also want to get a good price
I just think it's unfair to criticise gun shops for actually wanting to make money out of a transaction. 

From my experience of off loading and chopping in vast amounts if guns 😁 i agree with Mr Hamster, 10-20% is a fare price from a dealer.

Having gone through a similar cycle recently, patience is the key....especially if you don’t ‘need’ to sell it to raise the cash. Take your time, advertise via as many free sites as you can and the new owner will come along. 

Good luck 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the same make/model, but 20 bore gun in a part ex recently. I was allowed £1250 off a dearer gun. 

I recently rang up and queried a price on a new gun 10,000gbp if i wanted to trade a gun in the price was 11,000gbp!

And in this add they want 450gbp more if you trade a gun,i understand there are costs but if it is a chaepish gun you want to trade you may be effectively giving it to them!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in the same position and needed to raise money for another hobby so I took my Browning Citori back to the same place I bought it.  This was a cheap old gun but it was in the same condition I bought it in (but probably cleaner) and the dealer bought it back for 78% of the price I  bought it for.

He was fair and honest, he knew how much I bought it for, he said he'd sell it back on for that price again but he needed to make a profit on it so made an offer.  We haggled a bit then closed the deal.  He was happy with the profit he could make and I was happy that for what that gun cost me overall it was cheap.

I go to his shooting grounds every week and buy all my carts from him so I want him to stay in business, he's good to me as a regular customer, he said recently that if there is any new trap setup they don't have on and I'd like then just to tell them and they'd try and set something up. 

I recently rang up and queried a price on a new gun 10,000gbp if i wanted to trade a gun in the price was 11,000gbp!

And in this add they want 450gbp more if you trade a gun,i understand there are costs but if it is a chaepish gun you want to trade you may be effectively giving it to them!
It costs the dealer the same fixed cost to sell a cheap gun as it does an expensive one -  so no wonder it isn't good news for a customer with a cheap gun to trade in. Unless the trade-in is a very desirable model (Beretta/Browning/Miroku 30" sporter for example) the dealer would much rather do a straight cash deal -  for obvious reasons.

I have sold several (decent, as in £1,000+) guns thru'  Wilts Rod and Gun and they have been very fair -  charging me 10% of the realised price.

I have also dealt with Coley's on several occasions and come away happy, even with trade -ins.

Beware buying new, expensive guns (£5,000 plus) and trying to trade them in -  you likely to take a very serious hit. For that reason I try and buy lightly used guns. A bit like buying a 'nearly new' car.

Latest posts

Back