Prize Fund, how long??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard59

Heard at a ground today, not I but another shooter upon booking in enquired over class winnings from a past shoot only to be told that they only keep such for three months, as the event in question was over three months prior he wont be getting the “won” prize.

This is not the norm

Do shooters think that ground owners have nothing better to do than play accountants! Most grounds allow friends and acquaintances to collect on their behalf providing they sign for it! You may get a shooter down on holiday shoot a shoot and not return in 10years? What are they supposed to do?

Do shooters think that ground owners have nothing better to do than play accountants! Most grounds allow friends and acquaintances to collect on their behalf providing they sign for it! You may get a shooter down on holiday shoot a shoot and not return in 10years? What are they supposed to do?
Yes, but it’s a matter of degree. A year perhaps? Or the ground could even contact the shooter for bank details and transfer it..

I had this happen to me at Four Counties. The only mention of this practice is a small sign behind someones head when booking in.

I was less than impressed considering I try to get out to as many grounds as I can so it is common to not make a return visit for a number of months (especially when the ground only holds a few registered shoots). It took a bit of discussion to get it but they did pay me the money I was owed so alls well that ends well. 

Post you a cheque,i have asked a couple of grounds to do this and they have done so.

Guess some grounds regard uncollected winnings as additional profit.

Could be looked at as stealing your money, it’s yours you won it they have no right to withhold it regardless of time period, I don’t know of any legal status but if questioned I doubt that they would be prepared to risk a legal challenge 

I feel the ground should keep the prize money, you paid into the fund and won it, if they wish to not keep it they should at least contact the winner to make collection arrangements before acquiring the money for themselves.

On a positive note Ian Coleys are excellent I had a class prize and when I collected it I was handed another envelope with a win from two years previously I had no knowledge of.

Come off it, it's hardly city level accountancy, they take £40 quid off you fast enough when you book in, how hard can it be to place the winnings inside brown envelopes and keep them all in a safe place along with the records of the winners names, in fact they don't even have to use envelopes if they don't want to, just place yer hands inside yer pocket and produce the money what don't belong to you. . 

How on earth is 3 months any different to 6 months or a year ?  It's not like five or six extra envelopes weight an extra 5 kilos 😏  or is it the burden of flipping back a few pages through the ledger ? 

Some of you xxxxxxx want to try and run a ground! I know most of you think the traps place themselves and refill when needed? and all the ground owner needs to do is count the money! Try it sometime!

Some grounds do indeed keep the “winnings” for years, am aware that the owners of Orston have a file of unclaimed prizes won at thier former Prescott ground which shut two plus years ago, Longridge a box with such going back even further. If the or indeed any ground has a “3 month or lost” policy then it should one thinks be displayed, at the ground in question it was not. 

The shooter in question then went and shot & shared high gun, one hopes he remembers to collect. 

Some of you xxxxxxx want to try and run a ground! I know most of you think the traps place themselves and refill when needed? and all the ground owner needs to do is count the money! Try it sometime!
I do try and support quite a few grounds in my local area, and my overall experience as a customer at these grounds is a positive one, and yes I do make a point of saying so to the shoot owner on the day, on this paticular subject and how they communicate it I think the ground & as a business they had made a poor call. 

Stop going comp if the grounds policy  is not to your liking, i wont tip my fiver in to grounds who i know use comp entries for HG prize.

Stop going comp if the grounds policy  is not to your liking, i wont tip my fiver in to grounds who i know use comp entries for HG prize.
Ah, the thing being before I overheard the conversation I, the shot in question nor due to the lack of signage others would be aware, as per chance I myself picked up a place from a two month prior shoot, my visit was a last minute decision due to a works cancellation, lucky me.

Have been to the ground a few times, its grounds, facilities & staff are impressive the shooting leans towards its client base, the % it offers & pays out is more than it ever looks to have taken in competition fees, I for one will keep shooting comp, here and elsewhere and yes its in more ambitious hope than expectation

Truth be told we live in a modern world. Many entrants now pay by plastic where they can. 

How is it fair that a ground has to take payment by plastic but then pay out cash ?

BSSA a few years ago (2015?) made the decision to change the format and break the mould. When you filled out your entry form there was a box for your bank details. All prize money was then paid by BACS transfer after the event. 

This also enabled the admin to re-run shoot and cross check placings / classes before making payouts and prevented errors.

No excuses then prize money is paid out within a week to ALL winners.

No holding cash for months by grounds

No worrying about hanging around to collect prize money

Shortens the day for ground owners as no need for "prize givings" where the only award is a brown envelope. Just publish results on the "modern" web and then BACS prize money.... job done.

That all said i still don't get the obsession with shooting for cash prizes and people needing it to motivate them to shoot it as a "competition" but that is a constant and never ending debate.

Often thought about this , surely once entries are closed ,numbers per class are established at entry time , ?? monies for each class ,will become clear ? and can be put into said payments envelopes ? the only diverse will then be if there are ties !! and if the HG prize gets hoodwinked from the classes !!! one would have thought this should be achievable with in a hour ?? 

Often thought about this , surely once entries are closed ,numbers per class are established at entry time , ?? monies for each class ,will become clear ? and can be put into said payments envelopes ? the only diverse will then be if there are ties !! and if the HG prize gets hoodwinked from the classes !!! one would have thought this should be achievable with in a hour ?? 
This paticular ground offers and advertises a £50 high gun & £25 winner to each of AA, A, B & C class - £150 paying out, the entry fees are £17.50 b/o & £20.00 comp - £2.50 into “fund” they would need comp 40 entries, 10 per class to fund this, they dont get that, so in effect this ground subsidised the prize fund each and every shoot, not seeing that elsewhere so again, for me its another 👍 to this ground

Last edited by a moderator:
Hampster,  one of the best way of getting a heart attack is run a shooting Ground or two!!

Back