Please explain why they got upset

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

I managed to upset a few people yesterday at the local clay ground yesterday, it wasn’t busy so we were shooting sim pairs on report whilst double gunning.  This was completely safe and not troubling or endangering anyone, there was no comp on, what was the problem? Thanks for helping me understand

Experienced game shots wouldn’t be too surprised, but seeing a loaded shotgun being passed around briskly from one person to another at a clay ground would throw up alarms. I would feel uncomfortable watching it I admit, partly because I wouldn’t know how practiced the shooter and their loader were..

Thank you, makes sense, I think we looked like we knew what we were doing as a couple of people said it was a pleasure to watch, we made sure we didn’t hog any stands and it was really good practice.  I guess people’s natural reaction when guns are involved is to be scared of what they don’t understand, to be honest I can see how this could have come about.  Thanks for advice.

At a clay ground I used to attend regularly our squad were doing our usual 100 sporting practice when we came across a squad who were shooting from outside the cages so that they were shooting birds that were outside the area controlled by the cage. We complained to the owner that what they were doing was dangerous .His answer was, " That's OK they are game shooters practicing." 

We said that it's alright if we do the same then. He said that it wasn't . We pointed out that we were all game shooters too so it must be alright. 

The ground owner went very quiet and apparently told the game shooting squad that they were shoot from the cages in future.

At a clay ground I used to attend regularly our squad were doing our usual 100 sporting practice when we came across a squad who were shooting from outside the cages so that they were shooting birds that were outside the area controlled by the cage. We complained to the owner that what they were doing was dangerous .His answer was, " That's OK they are game shooters practicing." 

We said that it's alright if we do the same then. He said that it wasn't . We pointed out that we were all game shooters too so it must be alright. 

The ground owner went very quiet and apparently told the game shooting squad that they were shoot from the cages in future.
We were shooting from the wide cages, not dis similar to Grouse Butts in size

I have to agree with Will Hewland word for word, I'm sure there are plenty of well practised game shooters/loaders who can demonstrate these moves in complete (relative) safety but clay shooting has a rather strict firing format so we're simply not used to seeing these kinds of maneuvers. 

All that said I'm personally not convinced even game shooting needs this to be perfected, gee can we not just be happy enough being out in the countryside shooting game being driven over us by beaters, do we need rapid fire capability to make the experience more joyful ? 

Do you REALLY have to fire the guns in order to practice double gunning  ???

Maybe clear it with the ground staff beforehand and I am sure they would accommodate you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ground we’re more than happy as it wasn’t busy, In fact were complimentary..

I have to agree with Will Hewland word for word, I'm sure there are plenty of well practised game shooters/loaders who can demonstrate these moves in complete (relative) safety but clay shooting has a rather strict firing format so we're simply not used to seeing these kinds of maneuvers. 

All that said I'm personally not convinced even game shooting needs this to be perfected, gee can we not just be happy enough being out in the countryside shooting game being driven over us by beaters, do we need rapid fire capability to make the experience more joyful ? 
A couple of days coming up where things need to be perfect and I only gave a few traps at home, practice is essential to double gun well

Plus it’s fun!

We were shooting from the wide cages, not dis similar to Grouse Butts in size
Not at the ground I am talking about and the shooters concerned were outside the cages. In one case birds that were set up as overhead birds coming from behind the cage were being shot as driven birds from outside the cage hence shooting over other shooters on other stands.

Vic.

Not at the ground I am talking about and the shooters concerned were outside the cages. In one case birds that were set up as overhead birds coming from behind the cage were being shot as driven birds from outside the cage hence shooting over other shooters on other stands.

Vic.
Jeeeees, should have been kicked out surely? That could have got quite scary and doubtless irritating.

Forgot to add, we weren’t shooting behind 😀

I managed to upset a few people yesterday at the local clay ground yesterday, it wasn’t busy so we were shooting sim pairs on report whilst double gunning.  This was completely safe and not troubling or endangering anyone, there was no comp on, what was the problem? Thanks for helping me understand
 I wish a few people would do it on registered shoots it might speed them up a bit.especially the ones who do the big intake of breath and sigh after loading the cartridges.

With that AND the queuing, plus getting smacked around the ear by someone's stock,  and tripping up on all the used cartridges littering the floor....................we certainly know how to have a good time, don't we  ?

With that AND the queuing, plus getting smacked around the ear by someone's stock,  and tripping up on all the used cartridges littering the floor....................we certainly know how to have a good time, don't we  ?
And shooters putting their cards in the wrong order and only noticing after three of them have shot 

And shooters putting their cards in the wrong order and only noticing after three of them have shot 
Ah yes, BUT I only went to Police shoots and we had our names embroidered on our skeet vests, just in case we forgot who we were   !  We presumed that Refs could read, after all they could draw a 1 or an X  !   (sometimes even a circle 0)      :D  

All that said I'm personally not convinced even game shooting needs this to be perfected, gee can we not just be happy enough being out in the countryside shooting game being driven over us by beaters, do we need rapid fire capability to make the experience more joyful
I've found that the rapid , fire experience is just ever so much more satisfying with an automatic!    And besides, serious, and I mean serious, game shooters would have three guns and not just two like the wannabe's.  And they practice with their loaders in the gun room, not out among the commoners.

Latest posts

Back