Could we not spread prize money around a little more ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

Just reading the prize awards for the Clay Shooting Classic .

T . Hedgecock 4th AA £275 + 2nd Junior  250 Cartridges + £175

T. Baker  1st in C class  AimCam 1,000 cartridges  + £700 + Colt 2nd  250 cartridges +£175

No offence meant to these winners but surely fairness would have been to win the highest award and the lesser could have been awarded to another person? Mr. Baker cleared more than G.Digweed who was AAA 1st . 

Does seem ridiculous that they get prizes from 2 classes so i would have to agree.

One of the best spreads of prize money down to eight though.

When they say it is run to CPSA rules that obviously doesn't apply to the prizes as they would have to be in one class or the other,i suspect somebody at CC didn't notice or they just don't care.

Seen as they seem to have different staff every 5 minutes,such awesome gun reviews,cut and past articles and half the content written by the "Group managing editor" is it a surprise it could go unnoticed?

Just reading the prize awards for the Clay Shooting Classic .

T . Hedgecock 4th AA £275 + 2nd Junior  250 Cartridges + £175

T. Baker  1st in C class  AimCam 1,000 cartridges  + £700 + Colt 2nd  250 cartridges +£175

No offence meant to these winners but surely fairness would have been to win the highest award and the lesser could have been awarded to another person? Mr. Baker cleared more than G.Digweed who was AAA 1st . 
I agree. I really don't like seeing one person clear off with the majority of the prizes. It doesn't look good and frankly, often leaves them in a rather embarrassing position. 

Many of the popular competitions nowadays are organized by a shooting related business rather than the CPSA. Whilst they're registered (which means they have to be shot to CPSA rules) this doesn't apply to the administration of prizes. Most are shot to the 'if you're in it, you can win it' principle which sometimes leads to these situations.

Personally, I'd like to see prizes capped. You should nominate which category you shoot in beforehand and only be eligible for that category prize. I'd also like to see high gun drop out of category as well as class. It spreads the prizes out and is fairer to all concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should only be one per competitor in which ever class they nominate or the greater prize. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant idea to spread the prize money around a bit more, BUT I can NOT see anyone changing 'a habit of a lifetime'.   I can remember the early game fair days when there was a fair every weekend at some place or other. The same shooters would attend at each fair and "buy" the trophy/prize by way of re entering, sometimes up to a dozen times. They were then allowed to put ALL cards in together with each stand Referee, and just shoot. By the last card they should have straighted the stand, having used all the others as 'practice' cards.  The gundog events were run along the same lines.  The same faces at each event and usually the same faces sharing out the spoils at the end too.  At least we seemed to have improved since then  ! (or have we  ?? )

Thank you all for your positive replies. I certainly do not bare any malice toward anyone who claims these prizes in the circumstances , but I think it should be addressed. Prize fund announced on entry and the competitor decides which class or category they enter. 

My mate won Silver at the recent World Sportrap. Unable to find anything online he called the CPSA to ask them what he had won? Nothing came the reply, but will you be collecting your medal? With a five hour round trip in 30 degree heat he politely declined! 

That really does sum up our sport . A World Championship with nothing but a medal for Silver? How much was the entry fee ? How many entries ? Referees Pay , cost of Clays = How much Profit?

Thank you all for your positive replies. I certainly do not bare any malice toward anyone who claims these prizes in the circumstances , but I think it should be addressed. Prize fund announced on entry and the competitor decides which class or category they enter. 
Totally agree, when shooting either sporting/fitasc/compact etc I am always asked if I want to go in my class OR ladies.

.....and then there will be the British open, where people can still win medals and cash for something they never even qualified for on finals day. Absolutely ludicrous. 

My mate won Silver at the recent World Sportrap. Unable to find anything online he called the CPSA to ask them what he had won? Nothing came the reply, but will you be collecting your medal? With a five hour round trip in 30 degree heat he politely declined! 
There looks to have been 14 catagories, thats a lot of medals & cash awards, whichever one your chum won, well done I hope he not only gets his medal, hope as a silver medal at a World event he thinks more of the achievement than a few pounds, these £ type prizes one can try & win / pick up every week. 

That really does sum up our sport . A World Championship with nothing but a medal for Silver? How much was the entry fee ? How many entries ? Referees Pay , cost of Clays = How much Profit?
In other majors the CPSA have published the prize fund list, its most probably available if asked for.

Cant see them being that open with the profit/loss part though, mind you would any shoot promoter?

As a member of the CPSA i see no reason why we should not be party to the profit/loss/costs of any event that we organise...should be freely available for everyone!

I won a gold at the world sportrap,got a medal and a musto bag and the trophy bought by easy hit that goes back each time. But pleasure of hitting more than some churchill regulars in high classes does make up for it a bit.

Prizes and payouts is a result of trying to please everyone i supose,we have too many disaplines and then classes and categories on top so we are dialluting the sport all the time .But if payout is from comp entries per class divided out and cats are from sponsored prizes for that cat then i cant see a problem.BTW majors should be comp only in my opinion,ive never played cards without money even if its penies.

Super Veterans High Gun

Graham Stirzaker

EE 1952

2nd

Charles Milne

EE 21256

3rd

John Woolley

US 509003

by countback

Super Veterans High Gun

Graham Stirzaker

EE 1952

2nd

Charles Milne

EE 21256

3rd

John Woolley

US 509003

by countback
Ah, category winner. Obviously no sponsors prizes for runners up, just the winner I presume.

As a member of the CPSA i see no reason why we should not be party to the profit/loss/costs of any event that we organise...should be freely available for everyone!
Indeed, accounts of CPSA should be wholly transparent, this event though was “contracted” to EJC, they (EJC) will get a fee from CPSA, what EJC paid the referees & what they paid for the clays is Id imagine not known / controlled or even gave a rats arse of by CPSA?

In short we (CPSA) contract EJC, we sell the event, trouser the fees and when finalised pay EJC the contract fee, settle our own expenditure and hopefully declare a profit.

Often wondered why there never seems to be a published prize list of many of the CPSA run majors , as anyone seen one from the worlds or Birtish/English open's , how do we as members know who got what for their entry monies , baffles me ?

Often wondered why there never seems to be a published prize list of many of the CPSA run majors , as anyone seen one from the worlds or Birtish/English open's , how do we as members know who got what for their entry monies , baffles me ?
There was one for the worlds published online

Latest posts

Back