practice.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin_b

If you're on your own practicing Olympic trap and you miss one, would you just move on as in a competition, or, as i think you can do at Bisley, hit the "clay again" button, till you can hit the thing, even though then you wont get a chance to do the full 5x5 ( I think a max of 27clays is allowed?)

Also any other solo practicing tips any for any discipline ?

Mods; If you think this should be in another sub forum please move.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only shoot sporting at the moment, but I certainly find that working on certain targets until you are confident of how to go about hitting them (and are able to execute the shot) is very beneficial. So sometimes shoot the full round, regardless of score and sometimes work on the bogey targets. Ultimately both approaches are required to improve.

Worth noting that I feel that when you can't figure out a target even, after focusing on it, is when advice and/or a lesson is worth considering.

Don't know about trap but I get absolutely nothing from practice at sporting. It just seems a waste of time and money compared to competition.

So I did what i mentioned above, shot a round of Olympic trap,  and re-shot every clay I missed till i hit it. what I've discovered is 

Clay i think are straight a-ways usually are not, and need a bit of lead.

When I miss I'm either behind, under or both. ( with my reactions I think its almost impossible to be infront!) 

I did this for 3 rounds then shot the 4th as usual, and shot a 23. Which I'm very happy with, especially as I shot the first 16  straight , then started thinking about a perfect round and promptly missed.

I practice alone at UT and the hardest thing to do is not get into a fast rythem,i always try and slow it all down.It is posible to miss in front ive done it loads.If you download the rules for ot you will see how the straitish birds are set aswell as the others depending on scheme being shot.Repeating the same target is eventually going to make you shoot it different to the way you do in a normall round but the odd repeat wont hurt.Where you miss is a result of why you missed.

So I did what i mentioned above, shot a round of Olympic trap,  and re-shot every clay I missed till i hit it. what I've discovered is 

Clay i think are straight a-ways usually are not, and need a bit of lead.

When I miss I'm either behind, under or both. ( with my reactions I think its almost impossible to be infront!) 

I did this for 3 rounds then shot the 4th as usual, and shot a 23. Which I'm very happy with, especially as I shot the first 16  straight , then started thinking about a perfect round and promptly missed.
Ok here my take on "your problem"

Firstly anybody who regularly hits an OT 23 ... has very few problems... really! I know you will not win many competitions BUT I am assuming you are new to the discipline, it sounds so because the first thing you should know is there are few actual straight targets .

Secondly the bid in bold is very wrong... however I don't know why I am trying to tell you as ... read above! Just my opinion BUT seeing the target and being able to understand the angle and trajectory are probably more important than just blindly reacting to what you have just seen so don't just go flashing your gun at the target before you have " seen it properly" see below.

One reason you could be missing the straight'ish targets is that you are moving your gun too early in an attempt to be infront of the target... you have to let the target travel a little bit before you move your gun otherwise what can happen is you follow the target rather than move past it as you shoot... I honestly do not know why I am even trying to tell you this as... see above :lol:  Of course the opposite is also true and you stand and admire the "easy???"  straight'ish target instead of breaking it! :lol:

However I repeat anybody who breaks 92% of the OT targets presented is doing alright and should ... if they are a novice at it... seek the advice of a top coach as you may well have a future and could easily progress. Hope you do well because if you have only just started and are popping 23's then with the right kind of practice and coaching you never know what could be achieved!

JOHN!!  Been a while - good to know the new shed didn't fall in on you hahaha

OK - - to the OP.  Unless the target is an extreme angle and you just need to know you have the ability to take them then repeating targets doesn't solve much since every station is different anyway.  And knowing the path of the target may (or not) have some real affect on how you take it.

Like John said, for now you seem to have little to be worrying about.  Give what he said some real consideration.  What paul b said about going too fast is absolutely on.  If you get in a hurry and rush the set-up, disturb the process, you are doomed.

JMO of course on the repeat stuff 

i do generally repeat the clay if i miss it.

9 times out of 10 when i miss an OT target its mental though, distracted not focused etc so i dont really know if it benefits me or i just do it out of habit . OT is very unforgiving if you get distracted at all you can be down a lot of clays very quickly and its usually the straight ( not actually straight ) targets i miss which is super frustrating 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, my comment about my reactions is down to my age, I'm officially a veteran, and while a novice at OT i've been game shooting  since the early 80's.

I 100% agree with Davy_B comment about the majority of misses being a mental error, and I also have a disproportionate amount of trouble with the straight targets.  

I agree with Paul.

I would add that the problem with repeating a missed target is you now know were its going so you shoot it totally different anyway. The only time i can see it being of benefit is if you have a real problem with a specific target, having said that a problem with a target on one layout / ground can be no problem on another. Each layout is different for various reasons such as background etc etc.

PS

The other problem with repeats is that it ruins any timing that you may have managed to retain due to shooting on your own, sonething that Paul alludes to in his post

Latest posts

Back