525... MK38... same thing??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Spavo

Looking at the specs, and speaking to a few shops and whatnot, apart from cosmetics and the Browning coming with a case, if you take away the make of the choke systems is there any literal difference between the two? Was looking at the Mirokus after having found out the last two grounds borrowed guns I shot fairly well with were a 7000 & MK38, but should I be looking at the one as basically the same gun??

They are pretty much the same, only slight difference is the 525 has a ventilated mid rib and lightened barrels. Plus the 525 has the abs case etc, engraving and wood colour are a little different. Stock dimensions should be similar. The 525 should also come with inflex 2 butt pad which is interchangeable for length off the shelf, believe the mk38 is still a custom fit pad.

Both are very good guns and on a parr with each other. 

I could be wrong, but I believe the Browning is also slightly higher in the comb; the actions are essentially the same.

Comparing the sporter versions of the B525 and MK38 the drop at comb and heel is the same for both 36mm & 56mm. I looked at both when buying the only perceivable difference I felt was the MK38 felt a little more barrel heavy (although that could have been in my head), anyway I opted for the B525 and have been very pleased with it. The MK70 on the other hand is lower in the comb.

The 525 should also come with inflex 2 butt pad which is interchangeable for length off the shelf, believe the mk38 is still a custom fit pad.
Yes, one shop told me that if the pad needs to be changed, Browning's version has pre-made interchangable pads which makes it fairly easy as opposed to the Miroku which needs to have custom ones cut & fitted.

The Trap version barrels are a little bit lighter, I found the Sporter Miroku way too barrel heavy and the trigger is non adjustable, the comb is quite low too.

Last year a bought a Browning 525 Sporter One with an adjustable comb and trigger, with the beaver tail  fore-end. It needed about 3ozs of lead in the butt to balance it up and I'm a fan of the rough checkering. Overall weight is now 8lbs 3oz and a bargain at £1620 brand new.

Miroku grade 5's stocks are too smooth for me, I've had a couple but don't like them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just reading about a Hunter version; would I be right in thinking that it's pretty much the same as the Sporter One but just lighter as most game guns are? Also, on that note, and based on what is written in reviews and articles, is it a general rule of thumb that heavier guns theoretically should have less recoil, ergo, game guns have more as the sacrificial balance?

Just reading about a Hunter version; would I be right in thinking that it's pretty much the same as the Sporter One but just lighter as most game guns are? Also, on that note, and based on what is written in reviews and articles, is it a general rule of thumb that heavier guns theoretically should have less recoil, ergo, game guns have more as the sacrificial balance?
Yes. Free recoil, is the actual recoil of the gun and is lessened as the weight of the gun increases. As for the Hunter model, like most game guns, it's intended to be carried more than it's shot which is the opposite of the typical sporter. Also it may have different stock dimensions and balance so look closely.

Heavier recoil doesn't necessarily cause discomfort or pain but it can lead to fatigue, Personally I prefer a heavier gun.

I recently looked for a new gun and tried MK38. MK70, B525 and B725.  I looked at some in both sporting and game configurations and as Westward says the stock dimensions are slightly different as is the grip. On the 725 Hunter it is more of a Prince of Wales design rather than full pistol grip.  It is lighter by about 1/2 kg.  I bought a Hunter 725 because it fitted me and i liked the feel / balance; recoil does not seem to affect me so that was not a consideration.  Even after 100+ carts in a short timeframe it still felt fine - to me..  I am also a relatively new shooter, I would strongly recommend you shoot your preferences before purchase if you can. There is nothing like shooting a gun to see if it right for you.  I would also suggest you look carefully at the B525 and B725 as they do feel quite different. 

Not sure I can afford a 725 as my budget is about a grand but It looks more and more likely I'm edging towards either a B525 or an MK38/70. Haven't tried a Berretta yet but everyone says they're a bit more... sylphlike, and being 6'3" with a second row prop bodyshape, I'm thinking I might not need such a delicate gun frame! 😄 Having said that, I'm not ruling anything out until I've tried it.

So far, I've only shot a handful of times, mainly at stag do stuff etc., and the two times I'd gone at it since pursuing this new interest, I think I worked out I shot 39/100 with a 3800 or 7000 and then 54/90 (ran out of time for the last 10!!) with an MK38, so the Miruko shape does seem to lend itself to me unless that second 60% hit rate WAS unbelievable beginners luck! 😂

Third time's the soul destroyer...

I am a very similar build and so far I have not found an off the shelf Berretta that fits me. The experts in the gun shop suggested Miroku or Browing for me or there are some other lovely guns if you want to pay even more. 

Yes, one shop told me that if the pad needs to be changed, Browning's version has pre-made interchangable pads which makes it fairly easy as opposed to the Miroku which needs to have custom ones cut & fitted.
Took me, a complete novice gunsmith wise almost no time to change a MK38 trap pad to one more of a fit to my bodyshape, and would be just as easy to put it (the original)back on when I eventually sell her. 

Having owned several of both over the last half century, I would say that the stock configuration between the Miroku and the Browning is quite a bit different, the nearest being the current 725/Mk38 sporter. The 325/425/525 were all a lot different to the Miroku's.  The Miroku always seemed to have a nicer stock in comb height and grip, for someone like myself, who has small hands. I am currently using a 725 black thingy, but I do struggle a bit with the palm swell. All of the Browning interchangeable pads are great for those with Gorilla arms (they start at 14 3/4" and go UPWARDS). If, again like me, you need 14 1/2" stock, you may need to change the pad because the standard squidgy thing, can not be ground down  ! (hence mine overhanging at the toe ).  Some of the game Brownings still have the curved heel on the stock, which will need cutting straight to fit any recoil pads. One of the problems with the game Brownings,  would seem to be felt recoil.  I would certainly want to try the gun before deciding, remember, even guns of the exact same make and model can all feel different to each other, especially when you come to shoot them. As above, I have fitted a rubber recoil pad on my 20 bore Heritage, I warmed the pad up in boiling water prior to screwing it onto the gun. The pad then took on the curve of the heel, when on the stock.

Yeah, I have hands like shovels so I'm expecting to need a fair bit of wood for it not to feel wierd but we shall see.

As I implied before from all I'm readin on it, I guess the point you make about the game Browning having a fair bit of recoil is because it's a game gun so soing to be lighter than a sporter to accomodate humping round a field for hours on end, which in theory is going to give it more recoil as there's less bulk for it to absorb.

Mirakuru, reading the thread with some interest. However, a word of advice if I may? Get a gun and go put some lead in the air. Fact is you will not really know which suits you until you've developed your own shooting stance/mount/style. You're right to learn the general theory, but it's the actual shooting that'll teach you more. Also, reserve a few quid for a few lessons with a decent coach, get the basics right and you'll always have somewhere to go back too if/when things dip (which they will) 

You may not know and I have no idea what the actual percentages are, but a good number of new shooters swap their first gun after a while anyway. So, don't worry too much at this stage, just get a 30" Sporter Multichoke, the MK38 or 525 are both superb options, just get one that fits reasonably well, as you develop your mount you may need to alter things anyway. 

Good luck

Thanks. Went to Bisley today and the guys in the gun room at WIlliam Evans were absolutely spot on: learnt a lot and came away with a better idea of what I want to test out and probably buy.

Back