Choking for a newbie?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Spavo

So what're the opinions on this?

I have been told a few times that for a first gun it would be handy to get it multichoked, but I'm aware I'm still learning to shoot efficiently so how much difference is it likely to make in this rudimentary phase, presuming that the gun is set up correctly initially? The other side is if I went for a fixed choke model, then what type of choking do I effectively & realistically want to be going for?

If you go for a multi-choke gun stick in 1/4 and 1/2 and forget about changing them for a while.

If you go for a fixed choke gun then I wouldn't go any tighter than 1/2 and 1/2.

Above all assumes that you are shooting english sporting.

Just avoid tight chokes ideally especially at the early stages, when you’re likely to be shooting closer targets, where tight choke will hurt you most. But don’t get hung up on it, of all the things that will affect your progress, choke is about bottom of the list.

Thanks, both comments are kind of where I was thinking. I'm only gonna be shooting clays and thought that if I was looking at fixed choke then 1/2 & 1/2 would be a good start so I get a balance of long & short distance.

Just want a balanced starting point. 😊

1/4 choke in both barrels with a 28g cartridge( cheapest available), shot size 8, will break the majority of targets decisively on a sporting layout if you do your bit. It is best to stack the odds in your favour. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, both comments are kind of where I was thinking. I'm only gonna be shooting clays and thought that if I was looking at fixed choke then 1/2 & 1/2 would be a good start so I get a balance of long & short distance.

I've got fixed 3/8 in both barrels of my K80 Parcours. If I miss any distant targets it's down to me not having the gun pointed in the right place not the chokes. On really close end-of-the-gun stuff I have some 9 piston wads in my pocket to use.

I’d definately go fixed choke, multi chokes can get in your head especially as a newbie, as can cartridges (I proved this when I started out).  I’d buy a fixed choke gun, ½ or ¼  are equally capable if you do your bit, I’d also suggest trying a few cartridges and when you find the one you like the Best Buy as many as you can and don’t switch, again it’s a distraction in my opinion.  If you do chance your mind and do gane and Vermin shooting ¼ and ½ will also work fine.

Both hands round neck then squeeze  :biggrin:
My first thot was that newbies seldom inspire that but more than a few of the "established" shooters could use it.  I can think of a couple right off the top that I'd be happy to take care of in that regard.  

I know that is all contrary to my PerfectlyLovelyPerson rating but sometimes ........................ :angel:

I would suggest multi choke.

For the simply reason if you are new to shooting you may wish to try shooting different disciplines which may  include sporting, skeet and trap.

If your gun is multi choke you can swap chokes to suit what you are shooting.

I'm only gonna be shooting clay
You say so now, but I suspect you might change your mind later.  I don't necessarily mean that you'll become a serious DTL or skeet shooter, but those other sports are fun in their own right every once in a while.

I also think having multi chokes on your only gun is a smart idea.  If you don't want the temptation or confusion of too many chokes, pare it down to three: near, middle, far.  That's what I do and I keep three chokes in my bag: skeet, light mod (3/8), and improved mod (5/8).  3/8 and 5/8 live in the gun 95% of the time.  When shorter targets appear, skeet and 3/8 will do the job a little better. 

My first thot was that newbies seldom inspire that but more than a few of the "established" shooters could use it.  I can think of a couple right off the top that I'd be happy to take care of in that regard.  

I know that is all contrary to my PerfectlyLovelyPerson rating but sometimes ........................ :angel:
"what type of choking do I effectively & realistically want to be going for?" Both hands round neck then squeeze  :biggrin:

to the OP

I suggest you follow your Arrow fandom and embrace archery.  Clay target sports are unfortunately expensive and universally frustrating.  They seldom bring out the best in people and will likely affect you as well in an adverse way.

Run far, run fast, don't look back

Ignoring the wisdom of your elders is a serious transgression.  Taking the praise of the dubious and unknowing perhaps even more so.  Let me be the first to say - I told you so

Ah, I agree it looks like a moneypit, but at least one of those commenting on my beginners luck has shot for service, county and country so I'm sure they would enjoy swapping credentials sunshine. 😉

So what're the opinions on this?

I have been told a few times that for a first gun it would be handy to get it multichoked, but I'm aware I'm still learning to shoot efficiently so how much difference is it likely to make in this rudimentary phase, presuming that the gun is set up correctly initially? The other side is if I went for a fixed choke model, then what type of choking do I effectively & realistically want to be going for?
Multi - handy yes, as a beginner not overly important, ones shooting sporting or trap? For sporting theres many a “as built” fixed 1/2 & 1/4 choked option that would easily outlast a shooters lifetime, as built trap guns will have tighter chokes that may (may) not be desireable on some sporting targets. An off the peg gun within your budget which fits would be my only tip.

However this clay slaying lark is both addictive & frustrating and a constant learning process, enjoy the ride the peaks and the troughs,

Yeah, trying not to get too hung up on choking, comb height, etc. but they are all a factor and as I'm learning what they all account for it seems the clever money says that if I go fixed then 1/4 & 1/2 are the most common answers to what I would be needing to start on clays.

Yesterday, we took a friend who has only ever shot a couple of times to a nice little layout for a play about  .  My 38 Teagued trap gun fitted him like a canoe paddle, my buddy’s 682 was cast for a left hooker.  Because of this , after consultation with the owner  we borrowed a  28” 525 sporter which had more suitable  stock dimensions . Our new shooter wouldn’t know a choke if one bit him . For cartridge selection he was given some 24 gm # 7 fibre game cartridges of indeterminable age .  Unencumbered by all the tech stuff our guy just got on and shot things and progressed very successfully .  I think there is a moral in there somewhere .  

Latest posts

Back