Rod M

mk38 Alternatives

Rod M

Hi All,

At some stage in the not too distant future, I'd like to part-ex my (first) gun for something a bit nicer. I have a Miroku mk38 grade 1, with the (not very attractive) varnish finish. I love how the gun shoots, however, so the obvious option is to go for a nice, s/h, grade 5 version; this would also fall under my budget of around £2k. I was hoping to canvass for opinions on some similar guns that are worth a try before deciding. I would prefer to buy s/h and so far I've only come up with the browning ultra xs. The gun would be almost exclusively for sporting and I'm looking for a 30" m/c

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Edited by Rod M

FreeShot

B725 - either ProTrap or ProSport

• Like 2

Rod M
16 minutes ago, FreeShot said:

B725 - either ProTrap or ProSport

These look to be a bit more than I'd like to spend, but I'll certainly have a look in case I can find a bargain.

westley

The CG's in sideplated guise are nice looking guns, just depends if you could live with one. I personally can not, but I shoot with someone that loves his CG Apex and shoots it very well, BUT he was always a 'Beretta Man'  !

Salopian

If you are considering changing from a Miroku , you deserve all the bad luck you can get , buy a K80.

• Haha 3

Rod M
6 minutes ago, Salopian said:

If you are considering changing from a Miroku , you deserve all the bad luck you can get , buy a K80.

I like to do my research. For the money, I can't see much beyond the Gr5 Miroku, but I'm pretty new to the sport, so always good to explore

• Like 1

Doctor Lecter
2 minutes ago, Rod M said:

I like to do my research. For the money, I can't see much beyond the Gr5 Miroku, but I'm pretty new to the sport, so always good to explore

some great used sporters about  for your budget   ,   im using a zoli at the mo   and it seems  good ,    miroku  do take some beating though for  quality and value for money  !

• Like 1

Westward

The thing to bear in mind with MK38s of any grade is that they come with different specs, particularly barrels & chokes. Consequently they don't all feel and handle the same. 

The 725 ProTrap/ProSport guns feel very bulky and aren't everyone's cup of tea. The regular 725 is Browning's nod to Beretta with it's lighter barrels improved trigger pulls and general fit and feel. They're quite popular guns and there are higher grades available used at around you budget.

Personally I'm not a fan of Browning/Miroku and having tried just about everything out there I found that standard CG suits me very well. Again they are available in your budget.

• Like 1

Rod M

I get on much better with the chunkier guns, so sounds like the CGs may not be to my tastes

westley

The 'chunkiness' was one of the things I did not like about the CG, especially the palm swell.

Rod M
9 minutes ago, westley said:

The 'chunkiness' was one of the things I did not like about the CG, especially the palm swell.

Ah, I'll see if I can handle one then

b725black

second hand CG's seem not to sell well, they certainly don't hold their price

Westward

CGs are definitely full size guns, the dimensions are very close to off the peg Perazzis and the 3 Summits I looked at varied from 8lbs 1oz to 8lbs 5oz. My bog standard Challenger weighs 8lb 3oz. The Silver Pigeons are slimmer, slightly lighter and less chunky and the 725s sort of between the two - but they do have a palm swell.

As to CG s/h prices, it depends on the model. The Impacts have had their time in the sun and people aren't queuing up to buy fully adjustable high ribs like they were 4 or 5 years ago and the mid rib Ascents don't seem as popular either, but the era of rock-bottom prices for used standard CGs is pretty much in the past.

westley
1 hour ago, Westward said:

CGs are definitely full size guns, the dimensions are very close to off the peg Perazzis and the 3 Summits I looked at varied from 8lbs 1oz to 8lbs 5oz. My bog standard Challenger weighs 8lb 3oz. The Silver Pigeons are slimmer, slightly lighter and less chunky and the 725s sort of between the two - but they do have a palm swell.

As to CG s/h prices, it depends on the model. The Impacts have had their time in the sun and people aren't queuing up to buy fully adjustable high ribs like they were 4 or 5 years ago and the mid rib Ascents don't seem as popular either, but the era of rock-bottom prices for used standard CGs is pretty much in the past.

I think if you bought new, you would suffer a higher loss than the more popular makes, but that also means that there are some excellent used bargains to be had.

chippy

How about a Browning ultra. It will feel very Similar to your miroku

PP

Rod, depending on where you live get yourself to a ground that sells sh guns and try as many as you can find!

• Like 1

balltrap
8 hours ago, Rod M said:

Rod........you cannot get a better gun than a Miroku for the money !

• Like 3

AW13

I was in a similar position recently with my Miroku MK60. I wanted a choked gun so I went into Chris Potters with no preconceptions and shouldered quite a few guns with the intention that the gun fit and feel would find me. I was not badge conscious and tried several, in the end I found a Browning 725 felt natural for me, but what suprised me was the barrel length, I much preferred the swing feel of a 28inch and the gun was the lighter Hunter version.  I have only shot about 500 carts through it so far and it feels and swings so naturally with good trigger pulls.  Early day but so far so good.

For some reason i seem to prefer a lighter gun, thankfully I never seem to suffer from recoil. 

In summary - don't have any preconceptions and shoulder as many as possibel until you find the one that seems right for you and get it fitted properly.

Edited by AW13
  • Like 1

Rod M

Thanks for the advice all.

I will, of course, be trying out as many guns as I can get my mitts on when the time comes to change (that's half the fun, right?). Just trying to get an idea of what might work, so I make sure they get a go. As I said in the first post, I'm very happy with the mk38, but now I have several suggestions to shoulder (and hopefully shoot) in case another gun is even better for me.

Davy_B

i went from a Miroku Mk38 to a Zoli Kronos and i absolutely love it no regrets about changing, the zoli is a far superior handling gun. youd get one 2nd hand cheap enough.

having said that the miroku is a lot cheaper and still an excellent gun, one of the most shootable guns ever made . if you want something similar to it maybe a Browning 525/725. TBH if you are happy with the Miroku a Grade 5 version is a lovely gun 

Doctor Lecter
1 hour ago, Davy_B said:

i went from a Miroku Mk38 to a Zoli Kronos and i absolutely love it no regrets about changing, the zoli is a far superior handling gun. youd get one 2nd hand cheap enough.

having said that the miroku is a lot cheaper and still an excellent gun, one of the most shootable guns ever made . if you want something similar to it maybe a Browning 525/725. TBH if you are happy with the Miroku a Grade 5 version is a lovely gun 

zoli  are a great gun    but not if your ejector snapped as mine has , 3 months on still trying to sort it ,  backup seems terrible  local gunsmith don't want to know  ,    one reason perhaps we don't see that many about ?

Paul120
3 minutes ago, dr. lecter said:

zoli  are a great gun    but not if your ejector snapped as mine has , 3 months on still trying to sort it ,  backup seems terrible  local gunsmith don't want to know  ,    one reason perhaps we don't see that many about ?

Have you tried The Gun Room at Market Weighton ? They deal with Zoli and should sort you out. 

balltrap
1 minute ago, dr. lecter said:

If I won a zoli I would be a bit pissed off 😀

• Haha 2

Doctor Lecter
13 minutes ago, dr. lecter said:

above post omitted   the ejector was free from edgar brothers  ,  but my local gunsmith said he would need to farm it out for fitting  as the ejector was in rough blank form   cost  estimated  £ 130 - 180   plus postage of course . 

Paul120
18 minutes ago, dr. lecter said:

above post omitted   the ejector was free from edgar brothers  ,  but my local gunsmith said he would need to farm it out for fitting  as the ejector was in rough blank form   cost  estimated  £ 130 - 180   plus postage of course . 

Wow.. I watched a Beretta technician fit a 682 ejector blank in 10 mins including timing it up.  I bet a Zoli ejector would be no harder to fit. 

• Like 1