SIlver pigeon... how many types?!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Spavo

Hi,

So, I'm REALLY new to the world of clay shooting but really enjoying it as my third time in I jumped from my second go score of 39 in 100 at Barbury to 54 in 90 (for some reason we ran out of time which raised a few eyebrows?!) so chuffed that even with beginners luck that's a 60% hit rate, but my licence is due in the next few weeks hopefully (FEO has sent the paperwork off) so it's time to look around at a starter gun. I've read other's thoughts on what is what, and I am totally getting that there are arguments for and against getting cheap, new turkish ATA type guns and also second guns from the usual stables of Beretta/Browning/Miruko, etc. but all the same concluding whatever feels 'right'.

So a second hand 686 seems to fit within that mold, and it's certainly recommended alongside things like the MK60/70, etc. and I'm not really fussed about how they look, it's not my thing, it's just that they seem to make soooo many different types, it's making it virtually impossible to work out what's what... as an example, Guntrader list 46 different types of 686 in their search! It slightly concerns me that if I was to come across a Silver Pigeon, I might try it and think it a horrible fit simply because it's a certain model that I shouldn't even be looking at cos it's built for my intentions. Hope that makes sense?

Open to any type of gun at the moment, but can anyone give a bit of a definitive explanation as to what all the numbers, letters & names for the 686 mean, cos it's really putting me off looking at what seems to be a popular model?

You should be looking for a 686 Sporter , multichoke . 30 or 32 inch barrels if you are a clay shooter .

I think all the variations on Guntrader are probably down to how their website is configured 

A 686 Field model will be fixed choke , auto safe, and possibly low in the comb .

So if your a claybuster only , look for a Sporter. 682 would be a better choice if buying second hand .

As you allude to in your initial post, the 2 primary stables for mid-range starter guns are Beretta (682) and Browning (525)/Miroku (mk38/60/70). Very generally speaking, decent enough examples can be picked up for around £1000 s/h. It can't be stressed enough that fit is the most important aspect for a first gun. Comb height is probably the most important factor of fit at this level and as a general rule of thumb, Silver pigeons are low in the comb, Brownings high, and Mirokus somewhere in the middle. As I am sure you know, the best strategy is to try out the various options (certainly mount them and ideally shoot them) to see what works best for you. Whilst pretty much any gun can be adjusted to fit you, I feel that a starter gun should fit you reasonably well off the shelf; hold back on customisation until you buy a gun you intend to stick with for a long time.

Silver Pigeons have been around for many years and you're right about the bewildering number of model variations. I doubt if anyone on the planet could list the different specs of all the versions. Even the current Silver Pigeon I which comes in either sporting or field variants has had 3 different barrel configurations and 3 different choke systems as well as at least 3 different cosmetic grades.

The 686 Silver Pigeon I sporter is a decent clays gun and you should be able to pick up good preloved one for around the £1K mark. For similar money it's also worth having a look at the Browning 525 sporter as well, especially the later ones with the lighter barrels.

Thanks guys. The recent two outings were both with Miroku but no idea what model, but if the above is a fair assessment, and I will be trying as many as possible, I might be more likely that my posture might lean towards a higher comb.The Mirokus felt fine, and the more experienced shooters in the group & the instructor all said I had a good stance which didn't need adjusting, but I had the impression my face was leaning over/down ever so slightly to make contact. So I'm not ruling out an adjustable. Could have a look at the 525s in that case as don't know too much about them, although understand Miroku & Browning are the same factory so is the mk38/60/70 a very similar model or are they keeping it all individual to avoid stepping on toes?

From what I understand, the 686 and 682 are pretty much the same save some external jiggery-pokery, but the 682 can be more expensive because of that, would that be a fair assessment?

A few special Brownings are made in Belgium but for all practical purposes Miroku manufactures Browning O/U guns under an arrangement going back to about 1973. Browning is a brand and they don't actually make guns. Under the agreement, Mirokus are not available in America through official channels, but in the UK and some other countries such as Australia & NZ we have have access to both. I believe in Australia there is a Miroku version of the 725

Apart from the MK70, Miroku guns are not just re-badged Brownings, for example and there is nothing in the Browning lineup like the MK38.

As for the Berettas, the modern (ish) 682s such as the Gold and the Gold E have the same action as the 686 but have better wood and a few goodies like adjustable trigger, replaceable barrel shoulders, palm swell and vented side rib.

Saw a nice 686 White Onyx this morning, but worryingly I phoned GMK, who appear to be major Beretta distributors, to ask a question about them in general and the bloke on the phone said it's been discontinued longer than the 12 years he's been working there... yet it appears as a current model on the Beretta website?!

Saw a nice 686 White Onyx this morning, but worryingly I phoned GMK, who appear to be major Beretta distributors, to ask a question about them in general and the bloke on the phone said it's been discontinued longer than the 12 years he's been working there... yet it appears as a current model on the Beretta website?!
White Onyx are nice. You don't pay extra for the pretty game scene. We have a 20G White Onyx. They are very good value. 

Just because they answer the phone it doesn't mean they know anything about guns.

Back