Misfired cartridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maca

Last weekend I had a misfired cartridge.  The staff at the grounds said to put it in the top barrel and try again but again it didn't discharge so he said take it up to the club house where someone would dispose of it, rather than chuck it in the empty cart bin.  While I was walking up to the clubhouse with this cartridge in hand (which clearly had the pin marks where it had been struck....twice) I thought is there any danger this could go off  in my hand, or is there no more likelihood of it going off than any other cartridge....or is there virtually no chance it'll ever go off seeing as it has now been struck twice and not gone off?

Last weekend I had a misfired cartridge.  The staff at the grounds said to put it in the top barrel and try again but again it didn't discharge so he said take it up to the club house where someone would dispose of it, rather than chuck it in the empty cart bin.  While I was walking up to the clubhouse with this cartridge in hand (which clearly had the pin marks where it had been struck....twice) I thought is there any danger this could go off  in my hand, or is there no more likelihood of it going off than any other cartridge....or is there virtually no chance it'll ever go off seeing as it has now been struck twice and not gone off?
There is a risk it can go off up to 30 seconds or so after being struck. After that it’s dead I’m pretty sure..

Hmmm...not sure what the right thing to do would be here, thankfully it’s not happened to me. 

Id have be inclined to put it in the cartridge bin to be honest rather than carry it around in my bag or pocket. 

I believe if a cartridge does go off outside a gun where it’s not under pressure it creates more of a flash than a bang as such....but I’d still rather than happen in a bin of empties than my back pocket

I carry one of those cheap retractable utility knives in my shooting kit, I  cut the cartridge open and pour everything into the bin, have to say ive only needed to do this a couple of times ever don't get many misfires

H

Yes, the guy at the grounds simply cut it open and emptied everything in the bin.

Yes, the guy at the grounds simply cut it open and emptied everything in the bin.
Apparently if this happens with an Eley Titanium strike, you call them, they send a car to collect it and take it away for repair. Or at least they should..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get any cartridges that have been struck but not gone off , save them , keep them in a seperate pocket and load them if you need to see a target .

Especially if you arrive at a stand whilst someone else is shooting but you don't pay attention to the targets presentation and flight line . Then when you ask to see a pair and the referee says "No " (like I do ) you can then load the duff cartridges and call for a pair .

You will need a few as a good referee will confiscate the duff cartridges.🤣🤣🤣

If you get any cartridges that have been struck but not gone off , save them , keep them in a seperate pocket and load them if you need to see a target .

Especially if you arrive at a stand whilst someone else is shooting but you don't pay attention to the targets presentation and flight line . Then when you ask to see a pair and the referee says "No " (like I do ) you can then load the duff cartridges and call for a pair .

Always someone working the angles! :)

not so good when the one you think is dud actually goes off. 

Latest posts

Back