Choosing a fibre cartridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sian

It’s that time of year again when I buy my Hull Sovereign fibres to compete at the Beretta World.  I don’t have extensive knowledge or first hand experience of a variety of fibre cartridges so admit that I chose this one a few years ago as it was expensive.  My thought process was at the time it will shoot more like a plastic cartridge and I would have less confetti.  I like them and they do have next to no confetti so I buy them when I need fibre which isn’t very often and thank goodness for that as they are pricey.

My question is what would you choose for me and why.  I would want 28g and either 7.5 or 8 I suppose.

I use Fiocchi TT1  for practice at Barbury, and would be using them for the Beretta world if I were to be shooting it this year...but I'm not. :smile:

They break anything Huw puts on at Barbury.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like Hull cartridges Sian you could look at the superfast fibre 7.5 little cheaper than the soveriegns but could fit the bill with similar performance. 

I use Fiocchi TT1  for practice at Barbury, and would be using them for the Beretta world if I were to be shooting it this year...but I'm not. :smile:

They break anything Huw puts on at Barbury.
Tony uses them but I have to admit whilst I use the plastic TT1 I didn’t like the fibre.  I can’t offer a technical reason for it I just didn’t like them.

As a Fiocchi user Sian, try the FBlack Sporting fibres in 8's. Every bit as good as the plastic variety, no confetti and leave the barrels clean as a whistle.

Tony uses them but I have to admit whilst I use the plastic TT1 I didn’t like the fibre.  I can’t offer a technical reason for it I just didn’t like them.
Me neither, I’d use gamebore Evo in 8’s they break everything I can...

Recently tried a slab of Sporting 100 which Hull have just started to offer in fibre....smooth & hard hitting & medium price.

Only use fibre and find Fiocchi , Hull & Cheddite to be least affected confetti wise.Gamebore are at wedding level in comparison but still effective nontheless !..

It will really all depend on the configuration of your barrels internals; basically really doubt anyone could "recommend" a fibre cartridge for you because as many will attest even the cheap stuff appears to break everything thrown. 

Shoot a box of each make that's available locally and watch the breaks (and of course the dreaded confetti). 

Whilst confetti is being mentioned , is it detrimental to the effectiveness of the shot or just a visual distraction?  It is after all behind the shot , and one could say that if you pay too much notice of the confetti your not watching the target?

No doubt Eley Titanium Fibre Or even better, Eley Nonubtainable Fibre at £600 a thousand are definately the best according to their Press release .

Me ? I use Lyalvale Express Supreme's when it's important and Hull Superfast Fibres for club shoots and Cheddites if & when I can get them.

Whilst confetti is being mentioned , is it detrimental to the effectiveness of the shot or just a visual distraction?  It is after all behind the shot , and one could say that if you pay too much notice of the confetti your not watching the target?
Not sure about confetti part - but smoke cloud from Hull Pro One Fibres can be a real problem when shooting in the directon of low (morning/evening) sunlight, sometimes it hinders the view of the second clay entirely.

Alongside the debris being blown back into your face on windy days! At the last Beretta World I soon learned not to breath in before taking the second shot 🤮

When I have finished my plastic wads I have at home of the GB Evo am sticking with the Evo but going solely fibre to be all Eco friendly ! The Evo doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves IMO. 

I only ever shoot fibre (as that is what my local ground requires outside competitions) and although the confetti rating definitely varies from cartridge to cartridge, light conditions, target presentation, etc. play a bigger role in how distracting said confetti is on a given shot. As is often the case with these things, on a good day when you are shooting well, the confetti isn't a distraction at all; when you aren't, it is.

That said, confetti, on certain targets, can sometimes make it difficult for the shooter to see a kill (especially chippy ones), which can, in turn, affect the second shot purely from a confidence perspective...

I find Eley Select very good to shoot with a fibre wad, I've never had "confetti" when I use them and I only shoot 24gm all the time now, the plastic version is pleasant to shoot too.

I would stay away from Superfast to be honest, they have quite heavy recoil and are not very nice to shoot.

The confetti is a distraction to me sometimes I don’t know if it was a bit of clay or the debris so I can then lose my way on the second clay.  I’ve stood behind my friend who was shooting fibre and the wind immediately brought back debris into my face.  Sometimes in dense woodland, the smoke seems to linger and the more shooter there have been it looks foggy.  I won’t have time to test out lots before I need them so I’ll stick to my pricey ones or go for the Fblacks as I think I’ve used those before and don’t recall disliking them.  At some point when time permits I’ll try the Evos as I like the plastic version.  Thanks.

That's a shame the TT is a great cartridge and to me one of the softer fibres,have also shot a lot of Rio Targets recently which to me a little harsher but do the job well.

Funnily enough i bought some World Cups for the Beretta will see how they go.

+1 for the Superfarts, BUT some say they are a bit 'punchy'  !  As I can readily get Cheddite in plastic or fibre, I have settled on their 24 gram 'Trap' range.

I've a couple of friends who shot some Cheddite Smart Strike in fibre, they found them very good.

Sian, you could try Pro Fibre if you like Hulls, I shot them in 24g when I'd had arm surgery and wanted a lighter load but the 28 is probably equally as good. I've shot plastic Sovs and tend to use them when I need all the help I can get but most of the time I use something a bit 'lighter'.

Back