Driven targets - Allowed to turn in the cage ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salop sniper

Folks as a none comp shooter I am not sure on the official stance with driven targets..... Are you allowed to turn in the cage and shoot the target as a crosser?

Last night I was on a stand where first bird was a high quartering right to left, second bird was a fairly straight over head driven.

I turned in the cage to line up for my first target to take it to the left hand side, I then had time to take a step round to my right and turn slightly to take the driven more as a crosser (if this makes sense) ( Stand 6 for anyone who shot Hodnet last night or last week) 

Is this okay or should I have stood straight on and taken it straight head on driven ?

ATB

Matt

It is OK so long as it's safe AND the ground staff such as the scorer don't object, i.e, it can be at their discretion. The debris as well as shot fall out can at times mean that people are requested to shoot them as driven because some people shoot crossing tower birds very late to make sure of them. 

Surely this is the point of the cage . To restrict the arc of fire.??? So if it let's u take them as crossers then so be it. On a personal note I always found it easier bro shoot them as driven anyhow. 

Jasper.

It is OK so long as it's safe AND the ground staff such as the scorer don't object, i.e, it can be at their discretion. The debris as well as shot fall out can at times mean that people are requested to shoot them as driven because some people shoot crossing tower birds very late to make sure of them. 
That's exactly how I approach it because I always keep in mind that shooters who close an eye can have a real problem with driven clays.

Some people ask if they can take them as crossers and sometimes it's okay, sometimes not, but most just shoot driven properly.

I have shot at some grounds where the high tower targets have been set so they encourage you to shift your feet, in fact catching out those who try to adopt a single stance. It could be the tower has been set up to do as you are doing. If no complaints, keep doing it. The ability to shift stance between SOME targets can be a real help in increasing your score.

Shoot them which ever way is easiest and safest....But this is all well and good until you come across a shoot where it says "must be taken as driven".

I will take every inch of movement that the physical confines of the stand will allow me.

Quite correct but then the ground should put a bar in the cage to stop you moving the gun to a point where it's unsafe! As jasper said .... that's the point of the cage!

but then the ground should put a bar in the cage to stop you moving the gun to a point where it's unsafe! As jasper said .... that's the point of the cage!
Easier said than done. If everyone was the same height and reach and the course setter has the time and tools to install a bar then it might possibly be doable, but also bear in mind that the other target of the pair might be different type of overhead shot where such a bar would be a hindrance.

In practice, the vast majority shoot them as driven targets, but when someone wants to take them as crossers and with nothing specified by the course setter, it's up to the ref to decide.

It can be one of those situations when the ref needs to be a bit more than just a scorer...

Easier said than done. If everyone was the same height and reach and the course setter has the time and tools to install a bar then it might possibly be doable, but also bear in mind that the other target of the pair might be different type of overhead shot where such a bar would be a hindrance.

In practice, the vast majority shoot them as driven targets, but when someone wants to take them as crossers and with nothing specified by the course setter, it's up to the ref to decide.

It can be one of those situations when the ref needs to be a bit more than just a scorer...
Drop in that some of us are left handed further enhances the situation 😊

Playing devils advocate .......

If the ground people don't have the necessary tools to adjust a cage then surely they shouldn't set targets that might compromise safety if someone uses the sweep allowed by the cage! The target setter should consider the cages restrictions ( or lack of them ) and the shooters propensity for trying to get at everything, when setting the course.

What is specified ... is that you stay within the 'window' of the cage. If the target setter sets a target that takes shot outside whats safe then it's the target setters fault not the shooter ..... or the ref!

Not a fan of driven so will do anything I can to make a target easier for myself and avoid shooting it as a ‘straight’ driven. That is unless it’s stated on the menu card as ‘must be shot driven/not to be shot as a crosser’. It’s the same argument as ‘do teal have to be shot on the way up’, I will always take a teal on but see some top boys regularly take them on the way down, horses for courses, Unless stipulated I think it’s up to you.

Not a fan of driven so will do anything I can to make a target easier for myself and avoid shooting it as a ‘straight’ driven. That is unless it’s stated on the menu card as ‘must be shot driven/not to be shot as a crosser’. It’s the same argument as ‘do teal have to be shot on the way up’, I will always take a teal on but see some top boys regularly take them on the way down, horses for courses, Unless stipulated I think it’s up to you.
Me too re: driven.  Teal I’ll try on the up like yesterday on a sim crosser and teal pair but changed for my last two pairs and shot it the other way round with success albeit I had to be quicker than I normally am to get the teal like that.

Excuse me!  In the Queen's English  the word driven means DRIVEN! not crosser or can be shot up the ass going away!

Latest posts

Back