Visitors from US... which ground to visit

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

I have a couple of colleagues  from US arriving next week and they are keen to try some English sporting in England so I’m looking for recommendations.  The grounds near to me (Fennes, High Lodge, Eriswell) are ok and I often visit Churchill’s which is really great.  If you were picking a ground south of Birmingham, East of Oxford and north of Sevenoaks, where would you take them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sporting targets is a fave of mine. 

Later in the summer when I've got my new gun I want to go to some of the grounds with the best dramatic scenery. So intetested in people's suggestions 

Long Siberia at Bisley 

WLSS which like Churchill’s needs caddy

AGL near Markyate

Sporting Targets is certainly a large ground and with the scope to go round in a golf buggy more like the only American ground I have shot 

Depends what you are trying to show off to them!

Consider Oakedge,  just north of Birmingham but a beautiful piece of ground with some good targets.

Garlands when Steve has a shoot on.

The sporting competition targets at Eriswell are always left on for people to practice or reshoot until the following sporting competition, a ideal venue to shoot registered targets in a practice enviroment

Do they want to shoot a comp to find there measure or have a nice day out?   

IMO if it was me then you would want to show them a ground with great natural topography coupled with good targets / facilities. The classical "English Sporting Ground".

I am no sporting shooter but grounds on my list would be:- (despite some being outside your defined area)

Grimesthorpe

Hodnet

Doveridge

Oakedge

EJ Churchill (could sell them on the World Sporting facility).

Less on the topography but still great places

Eriswell

Sporting Targets

AGL

Not south of Birmingham but...... Hodnet and Oakedge would be the first two I would think of.

I have enjoyed shooting at Sporting Targets but topography just isnt a patch on Hodnet and Oakedge and Doveridge is much the same for me as sporting targets. 

ATB

Matt

To comply with your geographical criteria I would recommend Grimsthorpe.

If you are looking for The World's best I would recommend Hodnet .

AGL is my local ground. It has good targets and the forest setting is nice enough, although I wouldn't go so far as to say it has interesting topography or shows off the English countryside to its best

Latest posts

Back