stock polishing

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

are there any decent kits about for stock polishing ?   any attachments  for a drill etc ?     or can you recommend  sending it away to be done ?

Hi Tony. Do you live any where near Stafford? I do re-oiling of stock's as a hobby. See attached photo's. Te before and after and my F3 Vantage. I use Trade secret Raped oil.

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

20180603_205819.jpg

20180603_205830.jpg

Dr. Lecter,

Trade Secrets oil kits are readily available from most good gun shops , they come with full instructions and providing you have time and patience an exceptional finish can be achieved.

Don't rush , take your time and use a very small amount of oil , little but often.

Any questions or worries please do not be afraid to ask.

All depends on what you are starting with, what results you want and how much time you have. If you have a battered old rough shooting gun and a Saturday afternoon then slap on some Truoil, if you have something nice and 10 mins each evening for a few weeks a oil finish is great...anyone who says they can do a decent oil finish for you in a week is not really going to get anything near a good job.  prep is the key, a bit like spraying a car, no amount of oiling is going to rectify sanding marks.

I hope I can attach these 2 pics. I made a better job of the stock than the pics, but, this was around a months work. 1 week of alkanet root oil (to enhance the colour) and then rapid oil over the next 3 weeks, VERY small amounts and 24 hours between applications. I personally would not have Tru-oil in the house, just a personal view point !  The wood has quite a high sheen, I angled it to show the colour and not the shine.

gunstock 033.jpg

gunstock 034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
10 out of 10 for a Neanderthal posting some pics............nice bit of timber !

Back