A word of caution

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

With the recent glorious weather , up here in Shropshire we are plagued with midges , mosquitos, horse flies, and gnats .

Be careful if you use Jungle Formula as yesterday it melted Biro's , Promatic radio release buttons , and removed the finish off a few shooters stocks .

With the recent glorious weather , up here in Shropshire we are plagued with midges , mosquitos, horse flies, and gnats .

Be careful if you use Jungle Formula as yesterday it melted Biro's , Promatic radio release buttons , and removed the finish off a few shooters stocks .
yip it will do all that ... but never been much good at getting rid of biting insects 😁

Here’s a tip , Avon Skin So Soft  with citronella . Apparently the guilty secret of many military types , and certainly taken up by the Fly Fishing community . I started using it after the lenses fell out of my Maui Jim polarised fishing glasses after using Jungle formula . The Avon stuff works ,  won’t harm plastics . If you can get over the name , it works, try it .  You can buy it on eBay to avoid the Avon lady calling 😂

Here’s a tip , Avon Skin So Soft  with citronella . Apparently the guilty secret of many military types , and certainly taken up by the Fly Fishing community . I started using it after the lenses fell out of my Maui Jim polarised fishing glasses after using Jungle formula . The Avon stuff works ,  won’t harm plastics . If you can get over the name , it works, try it .  You can buy it on eBay to avoid the Avon lady calling 😂
My brother and his wife learned about that on a sailing vacation in the Bahamas about 40 years ago.  OK, mighta been 30, but looong MFing time ago.  I had no idea it was still a secret anywhere in the world.  Worked like a champ in Belize too.  Even works in NorCal - WOW, go figure!

Like I mentioned to the old lady - out where I shoot between the bugs, the floaters, and the targets I got just all kindsa things to shoot at.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a very serious fisherman and a pretty average shot; I have been bitten by mozzis etc etc the world over.

Skin so soft works in some places but not everywhere.

I think DEET is the active ingredient in most 'normal' insect repellents - the strength varies from 10 -  100%. Needless to say the stronger the concentration, the worse the corrosive effect.

It does horrible things to flylines ! 

When I lived in Labrador in Canada we were plagued in the summer by a wonderful biting insect called 'Blackfly'.

Available locally was an aerosol called 'FOFF'.  They did too!

Vic.

when fishing wit dad when I was a lad and not old enough to smoke we used to light a bit of rag and get it to smoke and smoulder it even kept mum away

a guy I worked with was a scoutmaster and they all  used lavender oil  mmmmmmmmmmmmmm but he said it worked and they all smelled better

Latest posts

Back