Super Sporting... Rules/conventions?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westward

ShootClay Supporter
I'm booked to ref at the 100 bird open Supersporting event at Longridge on June 16th. Each stand will be 3 report pairs & 2 sim pairs. I realise that there's no actual rule book but I'm wondering what the normal procedure is on the pairs. Amongst the mighty knowledge base of the ShootClay faithful, does anyone know if the squad see show birds for the sim pairs as in Fitasc or not as in Sportrap?

I'm booked to ref at the 100 bird open Supersporting event at Longridge on June 16th. Each stand will be 3 report pairs & 2 sim pairs. I realise that there's no actual rule book but I'm wondering what the normal procedure is on the pairs. Amongst the mighty knowledge base of the ShootClay faithful, does anyone know if the squad see show birds for the sim pairs as in Fitasc or not as in Sportrap?
I reckon you’ll be fine to proceed as you see fit. Nobody will be certain. 😀

If i remember when we have shot it before they just showed singles...but as you say there are no official rules,the ground may have their own.

Every super sporting I’ve shot, we’ve never seen the sim pairs and that is at various grounds.  

It is NOTa recognized discipline! So there are no rules! Only what the organized decides!

It is NOTa recognized discipline! So there are no rules! Only what the organized decides!
While that may be strictly true in England, the US NSCA does have a section for Super Sporting rules in our book (section VII-J).

The rules are actually quite simple, as there are only three:

1. NSCA Sporting Clays rules apply when shooting Super Sporting
  2. Course layouts must have a minimum of three traps at each station
  3. Shooters may only view single targets when viewing target presentations
Replace "NSCA Sporting Clays rules" with "CPSA English Sporting rules" and there you go: standardization

Last edited by a moderator:
Showing sim pairs to each shooter would be cripplingly expensive for the ground - not going to happen.

Showing sim pairs to each shooter would be cripplingly expensive for the ground - not going to happen.
I would say I don't agree

Sim pairs don't need to be shown to each shooter, only to the first one in the shooting order.  All others can pay attention to the pairs being attempted by the shooters before them.  Same as in ESP, really.

At the ground I shoot SS most often, the SS layout is over ten stands: five with 9 targets and five with 11.  Those with 9 targets have one sim pair, those with 11 have two, so assuming one show pair per simo pair is thrown per squad (I know I know but bear with me), you would have 5x1 + 5x2 = 15 show pairs per squad for the shoot.

At the same ground the regular ESP course is over 14 stands.  Using the same assumption (one show pair per squad) you would throw 14 show pairs per squad. 

That's a pretty minor difference

Last edited by a moderator:
At the ground I shoot SS most often, the SS layout is over ten stands: five with 9 targets and five with 11.  Those with 9 targets have one sim pair, those with 11 have two, so assuming one show pair per simo pair is thrown per squad (I know I know but bear with me), you would have 5x1 + 5x2 = 15 show pairs per squad for the shoot.
This one is 10 x 10 so it's 3 pairs on report & 2 pairs sim and I'm pretty sure it's not squadded. My reading of the NSCA rules quoted is that the single targets are shown but not the sim pairs.

This one is 10 x 10 so it's 3 pairs on report & 2 pairs sim and I'm pretty sure it's not squadded. My reading of the NSCA rules quoted is that the single targets are shown but not the sim pairs.
Report pairs are not shown either.  Only the targets as singles.

Quote: Shooters may only view single targets when viewing target presentations

I thought 'Super Sporting' was shot the same as English Sporting - ie. individual shooters not as a squadded discipline like Fitasc or Sportrap or Compak?

I thought 'Super Sporting' was shot the same as English Sporting - ie. individual shooters not as a squadded discipline like Fitasc or Sportrap or Compak?
Here in the US almost all events are squadded: ESP, SS, FITASC, 5 stand.  Maybe that's where our disconnect comes from.

Its not a recognised official discipline..........WHO CARES !!!

While that may be strictly true in England, the US NSCA does have a section for Super Sporting rules in our book (section VII-J).

The rules are actually quite simple, as there are only three:

1. NSCA Sporting Clays rules apply when shooting Super Sporting
  2. Course layouts must have a minimum of three traps at each station
  3. Shooters may only view single targets when viewing target presentations
Replace "NSCA Sporting Clays rules" with "CPSA English Sporting rules" and there you go: standardization
Standardisation ...... Heaven forbid! :)

Latest posts

Back