Jump to content
Hamster

Shoots are too easy nowadays

Recommended Posts

Skeetfreak
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Westward said:

Target fees?? Does that mean the NSCA collects money for every registered target shot?

Yes.

BUT......

The annual membership is much less than here.  $30 with a e-zine OR $40 with a printed magazine. 

 

NSSA (skeet) do the same thing - although the target fees are only 0.04 a target instead of 0.07.

 

It is actually a model i like as if you shoot less your annual fees are less. Shoot more and that increases workload to the association and as such you pay more for that. Works for me. 

Edited by Skeetfreak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlawsterOldCodger
5 hours ago, chippy said:

 a shoot local to me is always known as being stiff. but last sunday the owner softened it because of several complaints. now my average over the previous 7 shoots there is 75.4 with a high of 82, last sunday i shot 93. As a shooter in the bottom of A class i should not be hitting 93. 96 won A and 2x 97s were high. 

If I ever manage a 90+ Ill be grinning like a Cheshire Cat for weeks, and no I won't be "it was too easy" with the comments, Chippy Id say that your 93 is a terrific score you should be really pleased, as for the 97s winning. in this neck of the woods we often see the AAA & AA superstars rattling off such scores, it is after all how they get & stay AAA whilst the rest of us flounder.

After a recent shoot not to far from my front door, 20+ shots banged in 90+ and the media was alive with critics, what they failed to notice was an entry of 200+ a high proportion being AAA & AA, in such a field, and with these guys driven by fierce competition one would be surprised if it wasn't such a high scoring event.

Do feel at times the shots putting in these scores don't get the acknowledgement that they deserve

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wonko the Sane
9 hours ago, JER2 said:

No, it's not even close. 

I'm not gonna get all snarky here and lose my Perfectly Lovely Person badge.  but you clearly seem to misunderstand or not understand some fairly simple mathematical concepts.

 

11 hours ago, Wonko the Sane said:

Nor would I mind a classification system where one's score is indexed as a % of the high gun score; or one's overall finishing position (not just within class) is used to assign a percentile rank. 

This is what I was referring to in the event that I may have been unclear in my post.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paul b

I think whats happening is that there's just a lot more good shooters about these days,i genuinely dont think shoots are easier .When the big comps come and the cream goes to the top then thats more of a reflection of the top boys being able to manage a big comp better than the less experienced local reg hg boys.Having said that you then have 2 camps of shooter to keep happy ,one likes a steady score builder to keep there averages high and like me theres some who like to get a kick out of hitting big targets and dont care what that does to averages a hg in very low 90s with a field of big names in it would probably put me in the 60s if i shot ok but i would enjoy that more than a staedy comp putting me in the 80s.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JER2
6 hours ago, Wonko the Sane said:

I'm not gonna get all snarky here and lose my Perfectly Lovely Person badge.  but you clearly seem to misunderstand or not understand some fairly simple mathematical concepts.

There is absolutely nothing in common between Lewis class and a percentile-based classification system and I don't have time to teach you.

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schmokinn
1 hour ago, JER2 said:

There is absolutely nothing in common between Lewis class and a percentile-based classification system and I don't have time to teach you.

 

 
 · A clown and ignorant as well....you really are special
You really do remind me of someone 🙄:logik:
 
Image result for ignorant clown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Hewland

LEWIS stands for Lets Every W*nker Imagine Success.

Just buy a lottery ticket..

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ocean19

I think there are different things to consider here.

To a sporting shooter it’s easy to see Skeet and DTL targets as easier and less complicated than most sporting targets. There aren’t loads of sporting shooters who could go out and put in a really high score in those disciplines though. In my opinion it’s because shooting high scores is not just about the targets. Concentration, repetition, managing pressure, process and form are all required to put in really high scores. 

Every 2-3 months we visit a ground which is known for being a bit soft. I go because I can practice those things. I have a problem dropping single targets on a stand where I am right on it. This type of shoot lets me focus on getting 8s, not trying to find lead for the first half of the stand.

I enjoy shooting ‘big’ targets, but that’s just one aspect of shooting sporting clays. Not all difficult clays are a long way off. Far from it.

What I do find irritating is the notion that Sporting should be made harder for majors.Why? How do you practice for that? We don’t wind the spring up for Skeet or make the mens 100m final at the Olympics 130m. 

No matter the targets, you have to set your own goals and if they are to win your class or get a top 10 at a major, then the targets are totally irrelevant. It’s then about beating your peers regardless of severity of targets.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JER2
4 hours ago, schmokinn said:
 
 · A clown and ignorant as well....you really are special
You really do remind me of someone 🙄:logik:
 
Image result for ignorant clown

Gotta love internet tough guys who can't back it up in person.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wonko the Sane
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, JER2 said:

There is absolutely nothing in common between Lewis class and a percentile-based classification system and I don't have time to teach you.

 

Nor I you.  I'll give you a hint tho - Lewis classes are defacto percentile classes with floating percentiles that cumulatively would tend to a norm

 

have a nice day

 

11 hours ago, JER2 said:

Gotta love internet tough guys who can't back it up in person.

 My curiosity simply overwhelms me.  Just how would one go about that?  And back what up I might ask as well.

Edited by Wonko the Sane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schmokinn
17 hours ago, JER2 said:

Gotta love internet tough guys who can't back it up in person.

The fact that you believe that i can't back anything up in person is highly amusing also the idiocy of the statement and the fact that i am several thousand miles away precludes the possibility.

Nevermind thankfully we have some of your countrymen on here that show us that you are not a good example of such.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JER2
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:18 AM, Wonko the Sane said:

Nor I you.  I'll give you a hint tho - Lewis classes are defacto percentile classes with floating percentiles that cumulatively would tend to a norm

Nice try......I have explained nothing about the system I have in mind but you presume to know that it works just like lewis class with its arbitrary separations between classes.

If you think that approaches some sort of normal distribution.........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShootClay Admin
On 6/15/2018 at 1:35 PM, schmokinn said:
 
 · A clown and ignorant as well....you really are special
You really do remind me of someone 🙄:logik:
 
Image result for ignorant clown


let's try and keep it civil...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wonko the Sane
Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2018 at 8:42 AM, JER2 said:

Nice try......I have explained nothing about the system I have in mind but you presume to know that it works just like lewis class with its arbitrary separations between classes.

If you think that approaches some sort of normal distribution.........

(being perfectly lovely) now see that is not at all what I said.  So I'm sorry that you don't understand but in truth it doesn't matter in any way whatsoever as the course of the world will not be affected in anyway measurable in increments so tiny as to not now even be known.

hoping you have an exceptionally nice whatever

On 6/16/2018 at 3:37 AM, schmokinn said:

Nevermind thankfully we have some of your countrymen on here that show us that you are not a good example of such.

I can only say that if you are referring in any way to me I would have to ask you to desist!  Getting involved, even involuntarily, in your petty squabbles will in no way contribute in a positive manner to my goal to be a perfectly lovely person embracing fraternity, equality, and liberty .  OK scrub part of that.  I got ahead of myself there with the Frog part.  Not that there is anything wrong with the Frogs.  I mean they make some fine steels, some beauteous guns and all but if they go in the dumper at the World Cup I ain't gonna cry.  Know what I mean?

 

Edited by Wonko the Sane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShootClay Admin
3 hours ago, Wonko the Sane said:

I can only say that if you are referring in any way to me I would have to ask you to desist!  Getting involved, even involuntarily, in your petty squabbles will in no way contribute in a positive manner to my goal to be a perfectly lovely person embracing fraternity, equality, and liberty .  OK scrub part of that.  I got ahead of myself there with the Frog part.  Not that there is anything wrong with the Frogs.  I mean they make some fine steels, some beauteous guns and all but if they go in the dumper at the World Cup I ain't gonna cry.  Know what I mean?

1

They also make some fairly lovely wives - so less of the 'frog' business... cheers!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wonko the Sane
13 hours ago, ShootClay Admin said:

They also make some fairly lovely wives

Really?  Is there a standard model or is there an options list?  Is it pretty much free market pricing or some of that outrageous bespoke specialty stuff?  Factory tours for prospective enthusiasts?  :poke:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShootClay Admin
11 hours ago, Wonko the Sane said:

Really?  Is there a standard model or is there an options list?  Is it pretty much free market pricing or some of that outrageous bespoke specialty stuff?  Factory tours for prospective enthusiasts?  :poke:

Mine was bespoke.   Sometimes temperamental, especially when referred to as 'frog'  - costs/benefits analysis results are positive.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wonko the Sane
8 hours ago, ShootClay Admin said:

Mine was bespoke.   Sometimes temperamental, especially when referred to as 'frog'  - costs/benefits analysis results are positive.

That would be a rare and strange circumstance!   Perhaps the bespoke aspect contributes but even so ..................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jasper

Note to ground owners/course setters. When a customer relates to you that he feels your shoot was too stiff, the way to deal with it is to  listen. Not ask the next AAA shooter along to text u later with his opinion of your fabulous (😀) shoot. 🤔

Jasper

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jasper
Posted (edited)

So a return. Shoot 10- to 15 targets harder. Guys who sets targets ( not ground owner ) says to AA superstar " really interested to know your thoughts on shoot. Lots of people saying it was hard".  Seeing the recurring theme here?.

Then , which is rather worrying, he says to AA superstar. " I thought I'd set it easier this time I can't understand why it's shooting so hard". Oh dear. High gun was 86 when we left. Only 4 in the 80's .Still an hour before last entries and some superstars   just turned up, so we'll see. Don't mind them tough, but for you not to have any idea as to why. Really. Seriously. The mind boggles.

Still want top dollar for it though.

Edited by jasper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×