Gun fit Lancashire

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satan42

I'm looking for someone to professionally fit my Browning 725 Sporter with an adjustable comb  to me. I've been given gun shop names, but my understanding is they will do a rough fit, whereas professional fitters would measure, test fire etc. Can anyone recommend someone who could do this in Lamcashire? Google isn't much help with this I'm afraid. 

I live near Lancaster, took my guns to Simon Willmore at Doveridge, had adjustable combs fitted, had seen his work and that quality craftmanship was what I wanted, as have seen some butchers, to miss the M6 traffic went first thing on a Saturday to arrive as he opened and collected the following Saturday morning as he opened, really pleased, well worth the travel, you can set the height up yourself once it is correct throw away the allen keys

Last edited by a moderator:
As above really, IF there was a good stock fitter in Lancashire or even the North, they could make a fortune. I too have a 725 adjustable but I am fortunate in that, I just have the comb as flat as it will go.  I have recently bought a used Heritage and that has had the stock altered before I bought it. When I measured it, it is far higher in the comb than any of my other guns and almost 1/2" longer too. Because of the 1/2 pistol grip, I am getting away with the extra length and as I am hitting most things on the clay layout, I will leave the comb height as is. If it ain't broken, don't fix it, springs to mind  !

Occasionally Atkin, Grant and Lang have fitting days at reasonable prices, check their website. John Wiseman at Cannock is very good, BUT does not have the facility of watching you shoot. I have also seen the work of Elderkins of Lincs. and that was also very good. If the comb you have is adjustable, have a go at it yourself, plenty of stuff on You-Tube. Good Luck.

What about Mike Megisson at Kelbrook Lodge ?

He used to import Kemen guns to UK. He fitted one for me  quite a few years ago.

He likes a small monte-carlo type stock -  so setting an adjustable comb would be right up his street....

pal bought a £5k gun from meggie, was told he needed 1/4" off the stock, what a mess, wouldn't recommend having stock work there from what I've seen

I would highly recommend Tim Greenwood at Market Drayton. 1:30min drive down the M6 past Crewe/Nantwich, but perhaps one of the best gunsmiths in the country, and one of the best fitters - truly knows the art of fitting a gun and doesn’t charge a penny for his time/advice fitting the gun “blue peter” style until it feels right. His website and Facebook page are well worth a view.

Another Vote for Webster , if you want the man who does the fitting to also do the work .

A straight drive down the M6 / M5 for a few hours would get you to Nigel Teague Gunfittung Services another first class  choice .

Mike Meggision is an excellent coach and gunfitter , although Kelbrook ( like many shooting schools ) do send the gun to a 3rd party gunsmith  . My buddy bought his 725 pro sport from Kelbrook and then had and hours setup  shooting with Mike Meggison to get all the adjustable bits fettled . 

He didn’t need any woodwork I think that cost around £80 . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back