How to score - hit but not broken..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Interested on views in respect of a friendly clay get together where a clay is visibly hit but not broken, should this be killed or lost? My understanding is that it should be scored as lost.

A piece has to be visibly seen to have broken away, in practice this means you're going to have "dusted" ones scored as loss regardless of whether they make the clay appear to change course a tad, personally if I see a hole(s) appear on a driven which doesn't break I'd score it as a hit because a hole is proof of a missing piece. 

A piece has to be visibly seen to have broken away, in practice this means you're going to have "dusted" ones scored as loss regardless of whether they make the clay appear to change course a tad, personally if I see a hole(s) appear on a driven which doesn't break I'd score it as a hit because a hole is proof of a missing piece. 
You must have very good eyesight unless it is quite a big hole

Hammy is correct. With orange clays against bushes and good sunlight it's common to see a puff of orange dust. I once had to score a miss for Richard Bunninng (of all people) when he 'dusted' an orange rabbit clay thrown as a quartering away. He wasn't best pleased but accepted my decision. Just to add insult to injury he missed out on HG by a single clay...

Hammy is correct. With orange clays against bushes and good sunlight it's common to see a puff of orange dust. I once had to score a miss for Richard Bunninng (of all people) when he 'dusted' an orange rabbit clay thrown as a quartering away. He wasn't best pleased but accepted my decision. Just to add insult to injury he missed out on HG by a single clay...
I stand corrected, not seen it myself but agree is sounds possible. 👍

In all honesty and despite what the rules say, there are times when I score hit even if I haven't seen a piece broken off. With say a long distance midi, just seeing a big deflection from the trajectory  means it's been hit by pellets. Life's too short to piss off the paying customers and as a shooter myself I know when the thing's been properly hit and when it hasn't.

That is a great example of pragmatic common sense. Wish more people had it.

I have witnessed numerous debates on whether a deviated clay was a hit or a loss. Even at friendly local shoots. A flight deviation to me can only mean a hit.

I hit a battue in the middle and you could see straight through it, took the middle out.

Not what the rules say though, has to be a visible piece come off.  I've often seen driven targets with holes in them, but otherwise looking whole.  And when helping clear up after a local Clubman League shoot, I've been amazed at the number of rabbit clays I've picked up that are whole, but with one or two pellet holes through them.

You must have very good eyesight unless it is quite a big hole
Driven clays are highlighted against the very light background of the sky so holes tend to be really obvious, not so much with rabbits because they of course tend to be shielded against much darker backgrounds which would mask even multiple holes. 

Trap... I know...  but I was marking a round the other week and the clay was hit and a massive deflection in direction but I really did not see anything come off it. I  gave it as a hit simply because it had to have been to move so dramatically from the original trajectory. The thing is what someone sees another does not, there could have been a tiny bit come away I missed but if anybody had queried the call I would have said I saw a bit come away.

Depends on the eyesight of the scorer, but a clay must be visibly seen to be broken, not a hole or dust! (Or when the clay hits a tree branch).

A visible piece includes witnessing a pellet hole appearing in a clay. Rabbits especially need care that they are not broken by stones on the runway .

As far as I'm concerned a visible hole or a chunk shot off the side counts as a hit even if I didn't see the piece come off. Sadly, I don't have the eyesight of a peregrine falcon, so pellet size holes in rabbit clays don't count as hits. 😉

Have shot & reffed / scored, one needs to see a peice off the clay, sorry in my book dust is not a hit, deviation I would not mark as a hit nor would I expect one to be called as a hit. 

Might be harsh to some, 

Thanks guys, I now feel less guilty in not allowing a deviated but not broken clay as a hit, even if they did get the hump...

I do it this way.

If a hole is clearly seen in a clay it can only mean 2 things. Either it has been punched out by a shot and is given as a kill as a visible piece has gone, or it was incomplete when released from the trap and therefore a no bird, and re shot. That decision depends on how confident you are that the hole appeared when the shot was fired.

A clay that moves only is not a kill. Occasionally  hear shot pellets tinkle a clay, but without a piece off its a loss.

Regards

Leigh

I thought you people had read the rules. :no:

TARGET DEFINITION “HIT” A regular target that in the opinion of the Referee only: 3.10 Has had a visible piece broken from it, is completely destroyed or, in the case of targets that are presented whole and during flight holes are seen to appear which have been caused by the Competitor’s shot.

Rules are all very well but sometimes it's a matter of judgement, which is why I hear many shooters complain about grounds using 14 year old kids with little, if any, experience.

Clays can move or deviate due to a near miss and I certainly don't call that a hit, but when it's 50 yards out and flies off on a different trajectory I usually do call it a hit even though I didn't see a fingernail sized chunk or a pea sized hole.

Latest posts

Back