First gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lt shinysides

I have just been granted a shotgun licence. I don’t have a very large budget for my first gun, and after visiting my local gun shop they have advised an ATA. The aforementioned shop is a main dealer for ATA and I’m thinking are they trying to push me to the ATA. 

I have been advised that the ATA is a copy of a Beretta and they are solid, for the price. 

They do vary in price range up to around £800.

My questions (not just confined to the ATA range) Why are the guns set at different prices. Is it a case of just fancy engraving an nice wood that pushes the price up and is the actual shooting mechanism the same throughout the ranges. 

Secondhand Browning,Miroku,Beretta is your best bet not new cheap tat that will drop in value like nosediving off a cliff.

ATA are functional but quality varies and there have been some issues,ok for a cheap gun but still a cheap gun!

Invariably as the main dealer they want to endorse their product. Have you an idea what discipline you intend to shoot? As this might effect your choice of gun. Fancy engraving/ wood is a personal preference but does effect the cost but When you start to look at the mechanics of a shotgun it starts to become a mine field of barrel weight, action width, bore dimensions, fix vs multi choke, trigger pulls, adjustable triggers, coil/ V springs, cross bolts, stub pins, comb adjusters etc all of which will probably start to spoil your enjoyment if you think about it too long. There are established brands which over time have demonstrated their overall build quality and subsequent re-sale/ trade in value when shooters have decided to upgrade. In the second hand market around £800 You will find Beretta, Miroku and Brownings. Some Individuals have loyalty to particular brands and will be biased towards them but it’s what suits or feels right to the individual. There are several gun reviews on YouTube by Lloyd pattison (gunshorts) which include a ATA review and comparison to an OLD model Beretta. However other members on here would probably recommend that you shop around pick up a few brands and see how they feel and if/where possible put a few rounds through one. As much as the money might be burning a hole in your pocket my advice is don’t buy in haste! And above all have fun! Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t buy anything without trying it first. Second hand gun, borrow it and take it to the clay ground. Any shop without a range will allow that if they are worth buying from. If it’s a new gun then ask to borrow the demo gun in the same barrel length. If they don’t have one to use then ask them to get one or go elsewhere. Ask an instructor to check it fits you, if you are looking at buying it.

It amazes me how many people part with cash for a gun they have never fired and surprisingly sell it on after a few months because they can’t get on with it.

Thanks for the excellent advice, I did worry about the second hand market, but said If the shop/person does not let me fire it then it’s not worth the purchace. 

I have been looking for a good while now but not got any gun in mind. I will mostly be shooting clays, but some Corvid control also.

Hi mate and welcome to the forum. Some good advice above, I've nothing to add as such but I do have a few questions. You say that you'll be shooting clays mostly, plus some corvid control. From your reply, I'm guessing that clay shooting will be something you'll be doing for a bit of fun, rather than heading off towards semi or serious competition shooting? 

I ask because you'd be better served by advice tailored to your intentions rather than any assumption one way or the other. So do you know if you'll be looking to just bust a few clays on a Sunday with some mates (like me) or taking things more formally competitive on registered shoots? Also, do you know if you'll be doing mostly Skeet/Sporting or some kind of Trap shooting, as this, and your own personal intentions would affect any advice offered. 

Thanks for the excellent advice, I did worry about the second hand market, but said If the shop/person does not let me fire it then it’s not worth the purchace. 

I have been looking for a good while now but not got any gun in mind. I will mostly be shooting clays, but some Corvid control also.

Cheers finners

i enjoy Skeet shooting, and with practice wouldn’t mind doing some comps. At the moment it’s just a case of getting going and trying to understand why the different types and prices. 

I visited my my local gun shop the other day and the are not prepared to let me try a gun before I buy. 

So it looks like I will need to find another gun shop. 

Secondhand Browning,Miroku,Beretta is your best bet not new cheap tat that will drop in value like nosediving off a cliff.

ATA are functional but quality varies and there have been some issues,ok for a cheap gun but still a cheap gun!
2nd that.  A Miroku Mk38 or a Beretta Silver Pigeon, Xtrap, etc......any of the older Berettas will last.....and last.....and win and win if you know how to shoot.  Great guns.  Forget anything else....unless you try it first, and I'd suggest an experienced shot, or an instructor to help you with gun fit.  Go for an adjustable comb and you can easily lengthen/shorten a gun to fit you.

Old Berettas, Mirokus and Brownings do go wrong - don't let anyone tell you different. There are some lemons out there so be careful.

Find a gun shop/dealer you trust and take their advice on the make and type of gun which suits you and also suits what you intend to do with it. The right dealer will be the one who agrees to let you shoot three or four guns after finding out all the relevant information beforehand. Stick to your budget and don't be disappointed if you cant hit much when you start shooting. Some of us have been shooting for years and we still cant hit much!

Old Berettas, Mirokus and Brownings do go wrong - don't let anyone tell you different. There are some lemons out there so be careful.

Find a gun shop/dealer you trust and take their advice on the make and type of gun which suits you and also suits what you intend to do with it. The right dealer will be the one who agrees to let you shoot three or four guns after finding out all the relevant information beforehand. Stick to your budget and don't be disappointed if you cant hit much when you start shooting. Some of us have been shooting for years and we still cant hit much!
Best bit of free advice you will get, follow what Wylye has said and you wont go far wrong 

Back